• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheap and low maintenance car that isn't a P.O.S?

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No to the rental car. People treat rental cars like ****.

Also, did you factor in insurance and retirement contributions to your take home pay?

skitlets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 2000 Accord is dying, transmission will need to be replaced. Just pony up the repair costs or look for another beater? I've got about 150k on it already.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i really like the honda fit. regularly gets 30 mpg, surprisingly spacious (we fit in a whole 3 seater ikea sofa in it), nice tight turns. rated really highly for the past 3 years

Rockwell

Reaction score
If you want something that will last a long time, Toyota Corolla or Toyota Camry. I have a bunch of friends who have had both and they never had problems with them and if you pick up a used one they can be very economical.

billsayers

Reaction score
The Hyundai Elantra is a good choice...suppose to be rock solid and a Consumer Reports Top Pick for two years in a row. However, I think the $13,500 asking price is a bit high, especially for a rental with 35k miles on it and since the newer Elantra model is already out. I am sure you can find one that was previously not a rental for around $11,500 if you look around.

Also, second the Fit recommendation if you need a basic car...it is fun to drive, pretty roomy for a small car and gets decent fuel economy.

I would stay away from Corolla and Camry. Not because they are not reliable but because they are overpriced for what they are; especially since Toyota's reputation for quality is not what it used to be. Those two models are boring as heck...all I see are old, middle-aged/older people driving them.

Last edited:

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
They just changed the Elantra, and the newest one looks pretty good for a small car, very different from the previous model. Better than a Civic or a Corolla, probably.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A 2006 Civic for $15K is horrible IMO, why would I want to pay 75% of a cars new sticker price when it only has less 50% of it's life left? That is why used car prices are out on control these days. 'Negotiable' doesn't mean you're gonna walk in there and walk away with it for half the asking price, either.

2006 Civic = people are asking $15K for the ones you would want to buy. You can't expect a car with 85K miles on the clock when you buy it to last you 5 years, that is going to be asking a lot of the car towards the end. You need to stick with the lower mileage, higher optioned economy cars if you want a car that's not gonna annoy the hell out of you in 5 years. They don't make them like they used to.

I don't understand these posts. I have friends that have Civics in that year and they're flying. Admittedly 85k/5years is a lot of driving, but all the Civics I've encountered last. OP's in LA, so he doesn't have salt and stuff destroying his exterior -- just bumper damage from parking.

KurtS90

Reaction score
You can get some nice loaded out CPO Crown Victoria/Grand Marquise/Town Car with low miles for 15k mark. Still have warranty and fairly well option out for the price. Get good gas mileage for the size and engine. Reliable with proven history and parts are plentiful. Down side is they don't hold there value well...

~Kurt

BlacKidLA

Reaction score
I'll be leasing a new car. The question is.....

Mazda 3
Ford Focus
Kia Forte Koup

WHICH ONE?!

KurtS90

Reaction score
Leasing? Then what ever offers less up front, less monthly, and good fuel economy (probably comparable) would be top of the list. If the cars are similar equipment, then it's really just down on price and driving enjoyment.

But if it was me, I would probably look closely at the Kia and Ford. But leaning more toward the Focus.

~Kurt

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Great job man -- good choice. I'd go for the KIA.

Just spent the week with a rental focus.

If you at all enjoy driving, don't lease the focus. What a **** car.

KurtS90

Reaction score
Don't forget to check insurance, most likely not a problem with these cars. But still a good idea to check first.

~Kurt

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads