• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheap alterations in Atlanta

jeffyhow

Reaction score
I want to have some alterations made to a few things I have. They are mostly sport coats from Armani Exchange, Club Monaco etc. So basically $100-$200 stuff. To get the sides taken in a bit and the cuffs up, where should I go in Atlanta (preferably near Midtown/Buckhead)? I don't want to spend the cost of the blazers in alterations.

TheDroog

Reaction score
I've used this shop numerous times and they've done a great job at a fair price.

Midtown Alterations‎
700 Charles Allen Dr NE, Atlanta, GA‎ - (404) 874-3210

People also speak very highly of Mario Bosco, but he charges more so maybe it's not worth it for cheap clothing.

Mario Bosco Tailor Inc (Mario Bosco)
2959 Piedmont Rd Ne # 200, Atlanta, GA 30305-2795

athletics

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jeffyhow
I want to have some alterations made to a few things I have. They are mostly sport coats from Armani Exchange, Club Monaco etc. So basically $100-$200 stuff. To get the sides taken in a bit and the cuffs up, where should I go in Atlanta (preferably near Midtown/Buckhead)? I don't want to spend the cost of the blazers in alterations.

I live right off Peachtree in Buckhead and I have always been surprised the amount that the dry cleaning/alteration places want to charge me for some minimal tailoring. For about the same price I can take my stuff to Dau at Sid Mashburn who is a real tailor and can make a jacket from scratch, and the price is about the same.

Let me say one thing about tailoring, despite the quality of the garment, if you get it tailored for your body, it looks like it was made just for you and will look great. Spend the extra few bucks and get it done right. Also, keep in mind that altering a jacket isn't as easy as taking up a pant leg, you want someone with experience.

So go to Sid's or Mario as mentioned above.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can also check out Honk Kong Tailors,they do good work.I don't know if they are cheap,but they charge less than Mario Bosco. But Mario is a real tailor,although I am not sure if he does alterations himself,he must be too busy doing other stuff.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
You can also check out Honk Kong Tailors,they do good work.I don't know if they are cheap,but they charge less than Mario Bosco. But Mario is a real tailor,although I am not sure if he does alterations himself,he must be too busy doing other stuff.

Hong Kong Tailors are decent, but means a trip up Buford Highway, just south of the loop. They are probably about the same $ as Mario, but in a less convenient location. Mario has done some excellent work for me, but my only caution is to try to ensure he is the one doing the work.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Hong Kong Tailors are decent, but means a trip up Buford Highway, just south of the loop. They are probably about the same $ as Mario, but in a less convenient location. Mario has done some excellent work for me, but my only caution is to try to ensure he is the one doing the work.

By the way,he told me he was going to retire next year.Says he is too old to continue to do this,he would give the shop to one of his people.Maybe get a sport jacket before he retires?
smile.gif

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
laugh.gif

I remember Mario telling me the same thing about 3 years ago.. Truth is, I'll bet he loves going to work everyday, his passion for his craft is very apparent.. He once invoked Michaelangelo in explaining an element of tailoring to me; it was something to behold.

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1

Mario is amazing... almost like taking a time machine back 50 years when you go in to see him. I'd be very upset if he actually retires next year.

jeffyhow

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys. I had heard Mario's name in a thread before, but assumed he'd be very expensive. As is, I hope the alterations are not going to cost $100 or something.

izlat

Reaction score
Thanks from me too!

I used an alteration place in Alpharetta and while it was OK for stuff like Sugar Canes I'd much rather go to a real tailor next time I'm altering a jacket or trousers

Buckhead is not too far for me, but if there's a good option in Alpharetta that would be very convenient. Same goes for shoe repair - please share any intel you may have

Cheers

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jeffyhow

I have started to use Hong Kong Tailors on Buford Highway but have not received my first tailored shirt, so can't speak about them. I will try Mario Bosco though.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I got my first tailored shirt from Hong Kong Tailors and I have to say that while it was good, it was not great. They charge about half of what Mario charges and take 3 weeks, whereas Mario takes about 6 weeks. Also, all of Mario's shirts are hand-made and I doubt if that is the case with Hong Kong Tailors. I think one can probably get the same quality of shirt made from an online tailor (eg., Proper Cloth) as one can from Hong Kong Tailors, for less than half the cost.

I plan to have a shirt made by Mario and compare the two.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've never tried Mario's shirts and quite honestly, didn't even know he made shirts.. Post the results, always interesting. Check out the newspaper story on the wall about him, its pretty neat and offers a glimpse into a true gentleman.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never tried Mario's shirts and quite honestly, didn't even know he made shirts.. Post the results, always interesting. Check out the newspaper story on the wall about him, its pretty neat and offers a glimpse into a true gentleman.

Where do you buy your shirts?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads