• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheaney

Northants bloke

Reaction score
Sale. These boots came from the factory shop this morning. 175 last in plough suede.

Attachments

• 20191130_180238.jpg
    20191130_180238.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 163
  • 20191130_180325.jpg
    20191130_180325.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 171

Northants bloke

Reaction score
The factory shop sells a lot of 2nds, off brand, end of runs etc. not on the website. Good stuff but often different in small details from the website stock available in their other stores.

bryanljs

Reaction score
The factory shop sells a lot of 2nds, off brand, end of runs etc. not on the website. Good stuff but often different in small details from the website stock available in their other stores.

That's likely the case. And I've just purchased the Bodiley Ubury Loafer in Brown Calf but I'm concerned about the fit of BOD214 (Cheaney 214). I did a quick google search and found that you had purchase one too a few years ago. I went true-to-size but I'm hoping that the vamp isn't too short. I bought this with intention to replace my Alden loafer which has a very short vamp - exposing too much of my instep. Do you still wear those loafer? How does it fit across the heel and what about the length of the vamp?

Northants bloke

Reaction score
That's likely the case. And I've just purchased the Bodiley Ubury Loafer in Brown Calf but I'm concerned about the fit of BOD214 (Cheaney 214). I did a quick google search and found that you had purchase one too a few years ago. I went true-to-size but I'm hoping that the vamp isn't too short. I bought this with intention to replace my Alden loafer which has a very short vamp - exposing too much of my instep. Do you still wear those loafer? How does it fit across the heel and what about the length of the vamp?

I haven't really really got into loafers. An impulse buy. It's not in my regular rotation but no complaints about fit either. Just not properly worn in.

Cade

Reaction score
Cheaney Gateshead Horween CXL- Last 142

It was a risky buy but now I wished I came upon it much sooner.
I had to go down a whole size from 12508 for these. They are seriously spacious.
Thanks to that ' Rocker ' shoe sole, I can enjoy longer comfortable walks.
The toe spring is incredible!
I was on the fence with the looks but it's already growing on me.
No problems with the quality and leather.
Feels like a much tamer Iron Ranger, with class.?
Cheers!
Cheaney Gateshead.JPG

Cheaney Gateshead 1.JPG

Last edited:

bryanljs

Reaction score
Does anyone here own both Cheaney and Crockett and Jones? And why are Cheaney so under appreciated? Do they produce sub-par shoes for what they're charging? I would like objective opinions from more recent purchase.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here own both Cheaney and Crockett and Jones? And why are Cheaney so under appreciated? Do they produce sub-par shoes for what they're charging? I would like objective opinions from more recent purchase.

Most Cheaney lasts are thoroughly uninteresting. It's the same reason Tricker's is held in pretty low esteem. Other brands have sleek lasts across the board and can create broader amplification. Most people did not know about Carmina until a few influential stores and posters really drove the popularity. The overall Cheaney distribution does not really allow for that level of snowballing.

I don't like the way C&J fits my feet, so I can't comment on those from an ownership perspective, but my Cheaney and Carmina are of very comparable quality.

Northants bloke

Reaction score
Most Cheaney lasts are thoroughly uninteresting. It's the same reason Tricker's is ......
I don't like the way C&J fits my feet, so I can't comment on those from an ownership perspective, but my Cheaney and Carmina are of very comparable quality.

I would suggest the sheer variety of lasts Cheaney makes it difficult for them all to be uninteresting. Which ones are you referring to?

Cheaney Is my favourite brand. I have dozens - all displayed on this thread. I would suggest that both a strength and a weakness is the diverse range which allows them to adapt and stay in business but not to capture any particular style as definitively theirs. You know what you are buying with Trickers. My favourite lasts is 130 for dressy boots and shoes, but I also have several 225 and very slick 205 that I like. I am also delighted with my most recent boots which happen to be 175 last. The heavier boot styles are maybe less distinctive but still great boots when you want them.

Compared to C&J. I would say they are quite similar and overlapping in quality. I have felt more attracted to the Cheaney styles up close. Ymmv.

Last edited:

WilYa

Reaction score
Cheaney is better value for what they offer comparing to CJ, which is a much stronger brand and I find to be a bit overpriced.

ShooIn

Reaction score
I have several pairs of both. Cheaney's offering straddles a greater price band than C&J, so that at the lower price ranges, the shoes are still noticeably better than my Loake, and at the top end, indistinguishable from C&J. As to why Cheaney are less prominent here and across social media, it may be in part due to the fact that the current owners have not had the brand very long. It may also be that they are operating in a crowded market. I'm very happy to recommend Cheaney, and am somewhat envious of @Northants bloke access to the factory shop.

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One big difference to me is leather quality. I find cheaney uses lower grade leather than C&J, Carmina, Lof&Tung and even Carlos Santos. Of the many Cheaney pairs I own several have blemishes, scars or veins visible or loose grain leather that causes more creases than needed.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
I’ve a couple of Cheaney boots and find the fit and finish to way outweigh the price point.
Relating to C and J I’ve three or four pairs of those and I personally think they’re comparable.
I have far more Trickers and find that their isn’t really much difference between the three. Aesthetically they are all different and agreed with other posters branding plays a large part in our perception.

matches fashion has a few great deals on at the moment btw too!

Nat Jag

Reaction score
I have a few Cheaney and Crockett and Jones. The attention to detail is a little better with C&J. I would say the quality of materials are on par. The edging on the soles seem to be cut closer to the shoe with C&J compared with Cheaney. I have a pair Cheaney purchased in a sale (probably a special sale line) and the creasing is different on each shoe. These shoes were re-coloured from Tan to dark brown. you can just make the different creasing.
IMG_7259.jpg

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a few Cheaney and Crockett and Jones. The attention to detail is a little better with C&J. I would say the quality of materials are on par. The edging on the soles seem to be cut closer to the shoe with C&J compared with Cheaney. I have a pair Cheaney purchased in a sale (probably a special sale line) and the creasing is different on each shoe. These shoes were re-coloured from Tan to dark brown. you can just make the different creasing. View attachment 1297484

That is exactly what I meant with my comment above. I have several pairs with similar issues. It's hit and miss (More hits than misses though). I do agree that their lasts and models are attractive.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 27 17.6%

Forum statistics

Threads