• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheaney

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The wider county Northamptonshire (abbreviated Northants).

I've been to Tredders once. They are just outside of Northampton at Castle Ashby in gift shop territory. There weren't many AS on display but can ask them to bring items from the warehouse ain advance if you are specific. I live much nearer to the AS factory but nothing to see there.

Although Cheaney factory shop doesn't sell the catalogue there is still an impressive selection of special orders, spares and seconds. Most of my shoes are from there. I actually bought my Pennines and King boots from Cheaney on carefully contrived trips out that happened to pass Cheaney stores in Leeds and Cambridge.

Cheaney is actually in Desborough 20 miles north of Northampton. Factory shops actually in Northampton include Church, C&J (short hours), Lobb (high security and still outside my budget) and Trickers. Barkers (not to my taste) is at Earls Barton about 7 miles east. NPS/Solovair (worth a visit) and Doc Martens are both in Wollaston around 15 miles east. I don't think the others have factory shops, possibly Edward Green. https://www.northamptonshoes.com is a pretty good guide.

Of course, I sometimes forget that Northamptonshire is a county. I have driven past it before on my way to the south coast but have never visited, although I would like to sometime.

I think I’m erring on the side of the Cheaney currently. The AS veldt offerings are nice but I think Cheaney’s grain looks really nice and there is more availability.

I used to prefer the idea of the AS purely on the basis it was actually described as zug grain which seemed more in keeping but I think Zug is a loose definition these days and as mentioned before based on photos the Cheaney leather looks really nice.

I already have zug Rannoch and Trickers Ilkley although the leather differs between the two. So something like a Cairngorm would be a bit different.

steezin

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know what era these cheaney shoes are from? 9389A6BF-4D0C-4D6E-8D7F-D3DDDDEAB795.png View attachment 1145197 F2D93E23-B71E-48C6-9169-F67406F03272.png A521A9B4-150F-4809-A913-41EA872381FE.png

2E4DB210-710A-4517-8C62-C87D37991641.png

Last edited:

WilYa

Reaction score
Alfred Sargent is a great shoemaker but from a commercial point of view they are stuck in the 20th century. Mind you, I find this 'charming' in a certain way :) Its quite funny that an English brand is sold in London through a French (!) retailer (Bowen). But this is the only place to check them out in real life (they have several shops in France as well). Unless you want to travel to Tokyo where AS is sold by quite a few department stores!
Bowen owns AS now after saving it from going out of business.
There is an AS store in Paris.

Cade

Reaction score
Seriously not enough love for Cheaney here.
My Cheaney Tweed boots.
Stripped and repainted after about 10 months.
That's how much I love their 12508 last.:)
First time doing this so it's not perfect.
These are solid boots!
Excellent quality and comfort for their price range.
A big fan for life or until the prices start getting ridiculous.:laugh:

Original
Cheaney Tweed original.JPG

Repainted
Cheaney Tweed Recolored.JPG

Cheaney Tweed artificial light.JPG

Cheaney Tweed natural light.JPG

IMG_4306.JPG

BXpress

Reaction score
Seriously not enough love for Cheaney here.
My Cheaney Tweed boots.
Stripped and repainted after about 10 months.
That's how much I love their 12508 last.:)
First time doing this so it's not perfect.
These are solid boots!
Excellent quality and comfort for their price range.
A big fan for life or until the prices start getting ridiculous.:laugh:

Original
View attachment 1151054
Repainted
View attachment 1151055
View attachment 1151056
View attachment 1151057
View attachment 1151058

Are these Tweed R? Definitely on my list for next fall. Even though your paint job looks great i prefer the reddish brown of Dark Leaf.

Cade

Reaction score
Thanks for your comment.
They are indeed the Tweed R, originally in dark leaf.
The original color was already gorgeous but I wanted something that would also 'POP' in the evenings so decided to risk this little challenge for myself. Some friends thought it was Cordovan from a distance.
I stress ' from a distance'. :laugh:
Cheers!

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your comment.
They are indeed the Tweed R, originally in dark leaf.
The original color was already gorgeous but I wanted something that would also 'POP' in the evenings so decided to risk this little challenge for myself. Some friends thought it was Cordovan from a distance.
I stress ' from a distance'. :laugh:
Cheers!

I like them before and after so good either way.

Very nice boots!

Northants bloke

Reaction score
I don't need anymore shoes but we happened to be passing Desbirough on Saturday so called into my favourite shop anyway. We got these black suede Chelsea boots (not brown despite the photo). Not their usual range and rejects due to a slight mark on the right foot uppers. Not a problem for me. I like them but I was warned they are narrow. Good so far.

20190407_222350.jpg

Meyboom

Reaction score
I don't need anymore shoes but we happened to be passing Desbirough on Saturday so called into my favourite shop anyway. We got these black suede Chelsea boots (not brown despite the photo). Not their usual range and rejects due to a slight mark on the right foot uppers. Not a problem for me. I like them but I was warned they are narrow. Good so far.

View attachment 1156574

They look a greyish green on my screen :) But nice Chelseas for sure. Do you know which last they are on?

Northants bloke

Reaction score
They look a greyish green on my screen :) But nice Chelseas for sure. Do you know which last they are on?

Thanks. It's a phone pic and I had to lighten the picture to capture any details. Not a current last but I was told it is closest to the 125.

Aleksejs

Reaction score
Guys, quick question, how do quality of Cheaney lined loafers compare to CJ?
They both share £350-400 price range, and I like both styles, burgundy calf with leather soles.

Meyboom

Reaction score
Guys, quick question, how do quality of Cheaney lined loafers compare to CJ?
They both share £350-400 price range, and I like both styles, burgundy calf with leather soles.
In my experience Cheaney and C&J benchgrade are very similar quality wise. You could also have a look at Bodileys London Collection made by Cheaney. I have the penny loafer in both leather and suede and they are great shoes at a reasonable price.

Aleksejs

Reaction score
I am buying the first loafer, for smart-casual, business-casual occasions. For pretty much any attire where I will wear OCBD/Polo/Chinos/Jeans/Blazer. I usually wear white sneakers or brown wingtip, but now I want a burgundy loafer, an additional flavor. I live in London, so I will have moderately hot summers.

Question regarding fit, I do have slightly wide feet, but after trying Lewisham loafer (208 last) I have to admit it fits like a second skin.

Very snug, strangely enough, space for fingers.
And 0 space between the top of my feet and shoe leather, so there are 0 creases and bumps. That's something I never experienced before?

Is it the way loafer suppose to fit?

On another side, CJ Boston size 7 is softer fit, with a bit of creasing as leather is not in contact with the top of m feet.

Reactions: AWu

AWu

Reaction score
I have the same experience that Cheaney (and Church's as well) lastsis spacious at fingers and can fit well across the vamp with only reasonable creasing.

I am buying the first loafer, for smart-casual, business-casual occasions. For pretty much any attire where I will wear OCBD/Polo/Chinos/Jeans/Blazer. I usually wear white sneakers or brown wingtip, but now I want a burgundy loafer, an additional flavor. I live in London, so I will have moderately hot summers.

Question regarding fit, I do have slightly wide feet, but after trying Lewisham loafer (208 last) I have to admit it fits like a second skin.

Very snug, strangely enough, space for fingers.
And 0 space between the top of my feet and shoe leather, so there are 0 creases and bumps. That's something I never experienced before?

Is it the way loafer suppose to fit?

On another side, CJ Boston size 7 is softer fit, with a bit of creasing as leather is not in contact with the top of m feet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads