• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheaney

EnglishShoes

Reaction score
Cheaney Jarrow R boots in Chicago tan Horween Chromexcel. Last 12508.

Cheaney Jarrow Chromexcel ChromeXL Patina_forum.jpg

EnglishShoes

Reaction score
I just found a photo of my Jarrow boots when they arrived.

They arrived with a very heavy top coat which made them so dark they almost looked black. It took several goes with Saphir leather cleaner and Venetian cream to start to reveal the colour below. The cloth was covered in dye/pigment.

Here are the exact same boots before any cleaning or wear:

JarrowBeforeReno.jpg

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about buying these boots for about 2 years!

Do you know what last they are on?

I don’t but I will have a look inside the boot and see if there are any numbers. I’m not familiar with Cheaney lasts. They are very spacious in the toe box which I personally like for this style of boot.

They are great boots and a bargain if you can get them at a discount. Would definitely recommend them.

Probably the most rugged Veldtschoen boot currently in production which suits me. These will be getting some proper use hopefully.

David27

Reaction score
Hello guys!
Recently I've bought this Royal Tweed Cheaney shoes on ebay. Couldn't find any information about the brand.
What was their retail price? When were they made? Thanks!

20190225_220913.jpg

20190225_220933.jpg

20190225_220928.jpg

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello guys!
Recently I've bought this Royal Tweed Cheaney shoes on ebay. Couldn't find any information about the brand.
What was their retail price? When were they made? Thanks!

View attachment 1133411

View attachment 1133412

View attachment 1133414

I’m no expert but I would say 1980’s or earlier. Original price will be very hard to find out.

I believe Church’s bought out Joseph Cheaney and ran it as a division of Church’s. Later Prada bought out Church’s and Cheaney along with it.

At a later date the Church family bought the rights to Joseph Cheaney back from Prada and relaunched the name.

That’s how I remember it....

Northants bloke

Reaction score
.......That’s how I remember it....

I live in the area and am a regular visitor to their factory shop which is literally opposite the factory where they are made. A lot of companies peddle fake British heritage but Cheaney are one of a very small number of companies in the county that really still make here. Cheaney From their website:

CHEANEY HERITAGE - MADE IN ENGLAND SINCE 1886
Joseph Cheaney founded the company and moved to the present site in 1896. In 1903 Joseph's sons Arthur and Harold joined the company. In 1930 "Dick" Cheaney, grandson of the founder, joined the company. In 1966 Cheaney won the Queen's Award to industry and was sold to Church and Company. In 2009 Jonathan and William Church bought the company [back from Prada]. Their family has been making fine shoes for five generations and they are fully committed to producing the finest footwear entirely made in England.
https://www.cheaney.co.uk

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just found a photo of my Jarrow boots when they arrived.

They arrived with a very heavy top coat which made them so dark they almost looked black. It took several goes with Saphir leather cleaner and Venetian cream to start to reveal the colour below. The cloth was covered in dye/pigment.

Here are the exact same boots before any cleaning or wear:

View attachment 1123102
Nice! May we please have a look at how they look now?

Elderidge

Reaction score
Have one pair of Alfred Sargent. They are less than six months old and I’ve worn them to work three times. They make a loud plasticky clicking sound which feels like something from a shank, as though it was through stress of sole flexing whilst walking. Anybody familiar with this? Can it be remedied?

aaaaaand UPS lost my package, so I may never actually get these.

My Pair of Boots are on its way from Collier Bristow....

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 at 02:39Origin Service Area:IPSWICH - WITHAM - UKDestination Service Area:SYDNEY -

These on eBay uk, worn once Chinchilla....

Did he wear them three months solid?

View attachment 1087937

But would you say the turnouts have an ever so slightly larger toe box? In particular, length and height wise?

Interesting article on Cheaney factory, they invested in a CAD machine in the clicking room to cut uppers as opposed to cutting by hand.

https://furnacemag.com/joseph-cheaney-british-shoe-industry/

Interesting.... I always thought the main idea behind clicking by hand was to allow the clickers to pick out the best parts of the hide (or to cut around blemishes). If they're using a cookie cutter template, would this reduce QC/ result in more seconds than current.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads