• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheaney

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello I am considering buying the Cheaney Brackley or the Alfred from Herrings, both look great in pictures but I am wondering about the 225 last and the Brackley's slimmer look. I have 125 and 175 last and fit me well. The lasts that fit me best are Loake's Capital, AS 87F and Church's 173. I would appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Good question.
I too am wondering about boots on 225 last (Brixworths), and since I have experience with AS 87 last (and I like how it fits me), I'd be curious to hear a comparison between the two lasts.

Isiah Tongue

Reaction score
Hello I am considering buying the Cheaney Brackley or the Alfred from Herrings, both look great in pictures but I am wondering about the 225 last and the Brackley's slimmer look. I have 125 and 175 last and fit me well. The lasts that fit me best are Loake's Capital, AS 87F and Church's 173. I would appreciate your comments and suggestions.

The cheaney 225 last fits the same as the 125. The only difference is the toe shape. I found the 225 narrower in the
^ Good question.
I too am wondering about boots on 225 last (Brixworths), and since I have experience with AS 87 last (and I like how it fits me), I'd be curious to hear a comparison between the two lasts.

The Cheaney 225 last fits the same as 125. The only difference is the toe shape. I found the 225 narrower in the toe box with its soft chisel toe.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ argh ... I have Cheaney Alfreds in 125, G width, and they fit just right. So I guess that 225 in regular width would be too narrow :-(
Thank you for the answer anyway

Northants bloke

Reaction score
I wear some chukkas in 225 last. For me they are any easy fit. Easier than some of the more sculpted shapes like the 205's although I like them too.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ thanks for chiming in! While not completely duck-like, my feet are quite wide.
May I ask about your size - or other lasts you find comfortable?
I'm an UK 10,5 and wear with no problem AS 87F and AS724F. While perfectly wearable, AS 109F slightly pinches my little toes

Northants bloke

Reaction score
8.5UK. I have sized up to 9uk on some but not all of my 205 lasts because my right foot is a little wide for 8.5f in some styles. No need to size up in 130 or 225.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much! :cheers:
Hello Luigi

I wonder if you can helpin this:

It seams that we wear the same shoe size (UK 10.5) and our fit is similar (AS 87F) I wonder if you could share a side by side picture of your Cheaney Alfred with your AS 87F shoes so I can make an acurate comparison of both. I live in Peru so is impossible to check the shoes in a store. Thank you very much.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello Luigi

I wonder if you can helpin this:

It seams that we wear the same shoe size (UK 10.5) and our fit is similar (AS 87F) I wonder if you could share a side by side picture of your Cheaney Alfred with your AS 87F shoes so I can make an acurate comparison of both. I live in Peru so is impossible to check the shoes in a store. Thank you very much.

Of course I can!
I ask you to wait until tomorrow because now I'm out.
I'll post pics ASAP :)

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was browsing Google late last night and found that Cheaney was offering a MTO option at their London store two years ago starting at 695 pounds. I've been dreaming of trying to get a pair like this, but I will not spend that kind of dough. I hope that Cheaney will consider making these part of their collection, even if it's just for a limited time. I so badly want one of these.

Also, for those of you who have tried both C&J (benchgrade) and Cheaney, which maker has a softer insole?

IMG_3714_retouched-1024x683.jpg

MJHoo

Reaction score
Also, for those of you who have tried both C&J (benchgrade) and Cheaney, which maker has a softer insole?
I haven’t paid any attention on which has softer insole so I’d say they’re quite as soft/hard.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@JUAN MANUEL ... sorry for the delay and for the crappy quality of the pics: anyway here they are

left: Cheaney Alfred in suede, 10,5UK - last 125 - width G
right: Alfred Sargent (unnamed model), 10,5UK - last 87 - width F
20181106_231628.jpg

Reverse: left AS (black sole), right Cheaney (tan sole)
20181106_231809.jpg

As you may see, the width at the ball of the feet (and the most important 'heel to ball' distance) are quite similar in both shoes.
The Cheaneys have a larger heel than AS, and so their waist seems more 'sculpted': in the reality both embrace quite well the arch of my feet (both could be even snugger, but I must blame my high arches rather than the lasts).

I definitely needed a G fit in Cheaney, though, because the normal "F" width would have pinched too much my little toes.

So for my largish feet, the standard AS width is enough, while I have to choose the larger width in Cheaneys.

If you have more questions or need more pics just let me know.
Best wishes! Luigi.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads