• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheaney

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought these Hoggs of Fife Rannoch last year,made by Cheaney I think that they are the Penine with speed hooks. View attachment 1724599
I have the Hoggs of Fife Veldtschoen shoe version - the Roxburgh. A lot easier to put on and take off !

However, the leather is Zug and completely different to the leather on the Pennine.

Northants bloke

Reaction score
I have Roxburgh shoes and Pennine II boots too. I also wear other Cheaneys and a few Loakes. My problem with the country shoes is that with the heavy soles and no ankle support I have twisted my ankle in them more than once. For that reason I am now preferring chukka boots.

Last edited:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the Hoggs of Fife Veldtschoen shoe version - the Roxburgh. A lot easier to put on and take off !

However, the leather is Zug and completely different to the leather on the Pennine.

I thought that the Rannoch was a bargain compared to the Pennine but the fact that the Pennine isnt Zug makes me think that it was a bigger bargain.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought that the Rannoch was a bargain compared to the Pennine but the fact that the Pennine isnt Zug makes me think that it was a bigger bargain.
Zug has always been a more well-regarded leather than Pennine country grain.

However, you then get into provenance of Zug leathers. No longer in business Martins of Scotland etc. Zug is definitely sturdier than Cheaney country grain.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have Roxburgh shoes and Pennine II boots too. I also wear other Cheaneys and a few Loakes. My problem with the country shoes is that with the heavy soles and no ankle support I have twisted my ankle in them more than once. For that reason I am now preferring chukka boots.
I think that when a shoe is too heavy I prefer the boot version,my Sanders Salisbury for instance,I should have bought the Cheltenham boot.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zug has always been a more well-regarded leather than Pennine country grain.

However, you then get into provenance of Zug leathers. No longer in business Martins of Scotland etc. Zug is definitely sturdier than Cheaney country grain.
I bought some boots from Pediwear they are made by Cheaney, the Tweed but in dark brown grain,its lovely and supple and very comfortable from the first wear but I did wonder how long lasting it would be.
One of the boots with an Avon,both have Commando soles,the boot is more comfortable.
1640274649986.png

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that when a shoe is too heavy I prefer the boot version,my Sanders Salisbury for instance,I should have bought the Cheltenham boot.
Fair enough. I use Pennines as Winter footwear. I also have walking boots with speed hooks - but I never use Pennines for country walks. Veldtschoen shoes are handy, so I wear them throughout the year.

I like the dark colours and the absence of broguing makes cleaning easier.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maiden voyage of my Cheaney Pennine II veldtschoen boots. With thicker wool socks, the fit is snug.

20211226_100817.jpg
20211226_100820.jpg

Attachments

• 20211226_100817.jpg
    20211226_100817.jpg
    429.2 KB · Views: 52

Wrenkin

Reaction score

Where did you buy the Rannochs? It looks like they're not as widely carried as they were a few years back.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where did you buy the Rannochs? It looks like they're not as widely carried as they were a few years back.
Maybe these links can help:

These were made for Herring Shoes by Cheaney:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads