• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheaney

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jeanstore have some Cheaney shoes reduced by 25% ! rude not to buy some at the price so I bought a pair of Avon's in dark leaf...
They just arrived,very nice,lovely colour and a great fit.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CHEANEY JARROW R, Tundra Palio Suede

9005761E-F7A0-4CB6-9CF4-FE391E3C26E5.jpeg

C8E2E9C6-E41A-43CF-84CE-5F40BE53EBC2.jpeg

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know that as they get polished and worn the shoes look better but the burnishing is a bit slapdash on these Avons.
1639855121251.png

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although I like the dark leaf colour I am not a fan of the dark brown gunk in the Brogue holes so I have started to remove it from one shoe in the picture.Once its all removed I will use Saphir Cognac and give them a nice shine.
1639855331163.png

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first pair of Cheaneys. Wow. I definitely see why their prices are set higher than say AE or Alden. The finer details and QC are tighter.

I bought these from Mehra Shoes in Vancouver, for almost half off the regular price. Very smooth transaction and dealing with Gaurav Mehra was a pleasure. He helped me with sizing.

I've always found English lasts and sizing to be challenging. I did a lot of research, and spoke to many who have experience with Cheaney fit.

The first pair is Churchill boots on the 12508 last. They are 8.5F and fit me as I desire. There is some wiggle room for my toes, but otherwise my feet are secure when wearing thicker wool socks. These were originally designed for the British military. You can see the stitching work is well done and they are incredibly light. These will get lots of wear.

The second pair is the rare and coveted Pennine II on the 4436 last. Though a G width, I stuck to 8.5 size given what others told me about the shorter toe box. They fit very similar to the Churchill pair. Why is this pair rare? Very few shoemakers use veldtschoen construction method, making these extremely water resistant. They will be perfect for the winters.

I can't wait to start wearing these!

20211222_081036.jpg
20211222_081049.jpg
20211222_081106.jpg
20211222_081121.jpg
20211222_081133.jpg
20211222_081139.jpg
20211222_081145.jpg
20211222_081217.jpg
20211222_081227.jpg

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first pair of Cheaneys. Wow. I definitely see why their prices are set higher than say AE or Alden. The finer details and QC are tighter.

I bought these from Mehra Shoes in Vancouver, for almost half off the regular price. Very smooth transaction and jdealing with Gaurav Mehra was a pleasure. He helped me with sizing.

I've always found English lasts and sizing to be challenging. I did a lot of research, and spoke to many who have experience with Cheaney fit.

The first pair is Churchill boots on the 12508 last. They are 8.5F and fit me as I desire. There is some wiggle room for my toes, but otherwise my feet are secure when wearing thicker wool socks. These were originally designed for the British military. You can see the stitching work is well done and they are incredibly light. These will get lots of wear.

The second pair is the rare and coveted Pennine II on the 4436 last. Though a G width, I stuck to 8.5 size given what others told me about the shorter toe box. They fit very similar to the Churchill pair. Why is this pair rare? Very few shoemakers use veldtschoen construction method, making these extremely water resistant. They will be perfect for the winters.

I can't wait to start wearing these!

View attachment 1724470 View attachment 1724471 View attachment 1724472 View attachment 1724473 View attachment 1724474 View attachment 1724475 View attachment 1724476 View attachment 1724477 View attachment 1724478
Good luck with the Pennines. I assume you tried them on in the shop.

The Cheaney supplied laces are notoriously short. So you will need to unthread them to get your foot in and then rethread them before you knot the lace. This will be even worse if you have a high instep.

The classic solution was longer laces that wrap around the ankles and don’t require to be unthreaded from any of the holes.

The other issue is the lace holes are close together. So lace clutter will be an issue. You can mitigate that by using a different lacing technique.

In the end, I switched to Lock Laces for ease of putting on and removing the boots. It is not particularly elegant but it does the job. I also used Army lacing pattern to reduce clutter between the lace holes.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Cheaney supplied laces are notoriously short. So you will need to unthread them to get your foot in and then rethread them before you knot the lace. This will be even worse if you have a high instep.

The classic solution was longer laces that wrap around the ankles and don’t require to be unthreaded from any of the holes.

The other issue is the lace holes are close together. So lace clutter will be an issue. You can mitigate that by using a different lacing technique.

In the end, I switched to Lock Laces for ease of putting on and removing the boots. It is not particularly elegant but it does the job. I also used Army lacing pattern to reduce clutter between the lace holes.

Thanks for your input! I already swapped out the laces. I agree they are ridiculously short. All of my boots eventually convert to at least 3 speed hooks at the top. It makes my life so much easier and less nerve wracking.

I also like using paracord laces. I use the double Ian knot, which seems to always hold and never requires me to retie them while wearing.

What other Cheaney boots do you own?

I actually never tried either pairs. Few stockists in Canada. I did a lot of research, asked a lot questions, and ultimately gambled. If I had followed Cheaney's recommendation, I should have bought 7.5G and 8F. There is no way I could've squeezed my feet into those sizes. There's wiggle room for my toes, but I like it that way. Otherwise, feet and heels are secure and no slippage. They will work with thicker socks.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I simply decided not to use the last holes, easy solution for short laces and too much holes. ?

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought these Hoggs of Fife Rannoch last year,made by Cheaney I think that they are the Penine with speed hooks. View attachment 1724599

Herring also sells the same model as the Windermere:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads