• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheaney

Northants bloke

Reaction score
What size do you recommend for the Threadneedle on the 11028 last with an F fitting.

For reference (UK sizing) I wear a:
  • 6.5 Carmina Rain (a little too much up front, decent in width)
  • 6.5 Carmina Forest (shorter last, slightly narrow forefoot)
  • 6 Tricker's 4497 5 fitting (perfect length, wide all around)
  • 6 Tricker's 4444 5 fitting (perfect length, wider all around)
  • 7 New Balance (a little long)
  • 6 Cheaney 130 (generous fit)

In my experience the 11028 'city' last is narrower than more pointed than the (still quite elegant) traditional 130 last.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with their driving moccasins which appear to be made in Italy?

I am considering the Donnington driving shoes as they are actually on sale, but I have doubts about sizing as most reviews in Cheaney’s web pages suggest to downsize from the “usual” size, which in my case could be either 6 or 6.5 UK, depending on their last: I am 6 with 12508, 175 or 200 lasts but 6.5 with 4436.

Should I go with 6 or forget about them, as 5.5 doesn't exist?

Last edited:

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems that nobody has tried the Donnington driving shoes...

I wrote to Cheaney’s customer's support for their advice but no answer yet, they are slow with it.

Northants bloke

Reaction score
It seems that nobody has tried the Donnington driving shoes...

I wrote to Cheaney’s customer's support for their advice but no answer yet, they are slow with it.

I'm sorry I haven't tried them either. I have to ask you why you are interested? I am more than a little puzzled why an Italian would want to buy Italian driving shoes from company in England. ?

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry I haven't tried them either. I have to ask you why you are interested? I am more than a little puzzled why an Italian would want to buy Italian driving shoes from company in England. ?
Hahaha, first of all, thank you for your interest, on the other hand, what makes you think that I am Italian? I am Colombian, I live in Bogota, 2680 meters above the sea level.

I am considering those driving shoes for different reasons: I like Cheaney’s general quality, this model has a a full sole instead of the usual rubber nubs of the Tod’s Gommino and other brands, shipping from England to my country is strangely more affordable than from Italy, their price seems correct now that they are in sale and, finally but no less important, I like their design. ;)

Northants bloke

Reaction score
Oops. I just presumed because the name sounds Italian I guess. I really like Italy too. It never occurred to me that you are from South America. Sorry. It makes sense now.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oops. I just presumed because the name sounds Italian I guess. I really like Italy too. It never occurred to me that you are from South America. Sorry. It makes sense now.
There is nothing to be sorry about, Italian can sound similar to Spanish.

This is the answer I received today to my query:

“A size 5.5 doesn’t exist but you can certainly try the size 6 and they don’t fit then you can of course return them for a refund.”

I am going to pass as I feel they won't fit as they should...

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The post below was posted on the vintage shoes thread in answer to a question. Thought it might be of interest here. Please let me know of any corrections on the chronology.

It’s a complicated relationship between Cheaney and Church’s. Cheaney was founded in 1886, and for its first 80 years produced quality, private label, goods only.

In 1966 they were sold to Church’s and started selling under their own name shortly thereafter. Both Church’s and Cheaney’s had long standing Northampton area factories., Cheaney was selling quality, but somewhat less refined, shoes than Church’s, for about 75% of the price. The brand relationship and comparative pricing was managed by Church’s, the parent company. Thinking of the Rolex/Tudor analogy from watches might be helpful.

In 1999 Church’s was bought by Prada. In 2009, the Church’s brothers, who had sold Church’s and Cheney to Prada, bought back the Cheaney brand, and have been managing it as a primarily traditional English dress shoe manufacturer since then.

Meanwhile, Church’s has veered towards becoming more of a fashion brand, although my understanding is that their traditional, top line “Consul” Hand Grade line is still high, traditional Church’s, quality.

And there is no reason they shouldn’t be: they are making long established traditional designs, at a premium price, manufactured at the same Northampton factory for a century.

I have Cheaney Royal Tweed and Church’s Oxfords, purchased together 30 years ago at the same London store. The Cheaney is a fine quality shoe, I enjoy wearing it. It is a bit slenderer and more elegant, in the English style, than any of my American dress shoes (Alden, AE, vintage Florsheim). The Church’s are, however, slightly superior on several dimensions: construction quality, materials, and detailing. I think they both offer good value at the respective prices I paid for them.

monkey66

Reaction score
Cheaney Imperial, full outfit here.

P1010561 copy.jpg

monkey66

Reaction score
Cheaney Imperial, full outfit here.

View attachment 1639187
They are indeed a curiosity. These were made for Gevies and Hawkes by Cheaney from their (at the time) Imperial range.

They are a fairly square toe.

I picked them up off eBay a few years ago. Have never seen another pair before or since.

Hand-written on the inside oval tag 'POD6197'. Hand-written inside tongue '207 P4757' so the 207 last. The last came out in 2010.

Looking they have 2 pairs of loafers listed currently on this last both whit closed channel stitching. The sole treatment and heal block on mine is the same as these.

1626347906298.png

1626347934973.png

1626348036777.png

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought the Edward and James Blakeney (made by Cheaney) in the Pediwear sale.
The boots arrived 36 hours sfter I ordered them so
1627048787577.png
full marks to Pediwear.
Lovely boots on 12508 last F fitting, I am usually a size 10 but I found that a 10.5 F in these boots and the Cheaney Avon is a good fit for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads