• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheaney

Isiah Tongue

Reaction score
Need some help here from the forum. I polished my dark brown Chelsea boots today and by mistake grabbed the brush that I used to buff out black polish. I realized this after buffing both shoes. No super noticible issues except maybe a duller than expected finish. How do I recover from this? Can I repolish with brown polish and buff with the correct brush, or do I have by a product to remove all the waxes?

Thanks!

Not a big issue. The black will probably add some patina to the brown leather. If you want to remove any hint of black polish on the leather, use a neutral polish and some elbow grease. This will lift off the black. Use circular motions and a bit of pressure. You can then reapply the correct polish and brush.

I occasionally use black polish on burgundy and some brown shoes just to enrich and darken the colour of I feel they look faded.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1604235

Some well priced Cheaneys available on TK Maxx. Sizes 8-11.

From a few pages behind in this thread:

I remember seeing them for sale last year as well. They also used the same leather for some double monks which I bought from TK. Came in a Cheaney branded box but not the proper one (and certainly no shoe bag). Quality of the leather was not very good at all, neither was the finishing (edges and stitching). Made me think these were some substandard just for TK models. It's interesting that your correspondence confirms this. (That's not to say TK don't sell proper Cheaney shoes, as I've bought at least 4 pairs from there, all the real deal) They of course were returned.

This is in contrast to Tricker's who we discussed late last year in the SW&D thread who iirc categorically stated they don't make a 'budget' range for TK Maxx.

g3org3y

Reaction score
As mentioned above, it was a pair of double monks I had an issue with. Whether it's the same story with the ones for sale at the mo, who knows.

Must admit, am tempted by the brown loafers though.

SumDude

Reaction score
My first pair of Cheaney/Herring boots.
IMG_2351.jpg

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had this shoes wating in my closet for a proper review, Cheaney for Herrings.

Model: Canning
Colour: Mahogany Calf
Last:125
Welt: 360
Sole: Dainite

This shoe was purchased last Christmas sale, as always Herrings supplies excellent service. I was eyeing these shoes for a couple of years, they have this unusual design that is not a shortwing nor a longwing, Church's Grafton is the most recognizable shoe with this design.

This is a great shoe in his own right, the 125 last fits me very well. The mahogany colour has some green hues, they will age gracefully.

IMG_6208.JPG

IMG_6209.JPG

IMG_6211.JPG

IMG_6212.JPG

IMG_6213.JPG

Isiah Tongue

Reaction score
I had this shoes wating in my closet for a proper review, Cheaney for Herrings.

Model: Canning
Colour: Mahogany Calf
Last:125
Welt: 360
Sole: Dainite

This shoe was purchased last Christmas sale, as always Herrings supplies excellent service. I was eyeing these shoes for a couple of years, they have this unusual design that is not a shortwing nor a longwing, Church's Grafton is the most recognizable shoe with this design.

This is a great shoe in his own right, the 125 last fits me very well. The mahogany colour has some green hues, they will age gracefully.

IMG_6208.JPG

IMG_6209.JPG

IMG_6211.JPG

IMG_6212.JPG

IMG_6213.JPG

Looks like the Cheaney version of the Church's Grafton. It looks like they will patina very nicely ?

noverbeck

Reaction score
What size do you recommend for the Threadneedle on the 11028 last with an F fitting.

For reference (UK sizing) I wear a:
  • 6.5 Carmina Rain (a little too much up front, decent in width)
  • 6.5 Carmina Forest (shorter last, slightly narrow forefoot)
  • 6 Tricker's 4497 5 fitting (perfect length, wide all around)
  • 6 Tricker's 4444 5 fitting (perfect length, wider all around)
  • 7 New Balance (a little long)
  • 6 Cheaney 130 (generous fit)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads