• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheaney

SumDude

Reaction score
I have a bunch of Allen Edmonds and a bunch of Cheaney. All Oxford/leather sole dress shoes. I also have other brands (carmina, tlb, Alden, etc..)

I personally like Allen Edmonds a lot, they make a well constructed shoe, the materials they use are good, then stand by their product.

I like my Cheaney’s better. They are similarly well constructed, but tend to have a better stylistic/aesthetic appeal to me and for my use.
The cheaneys are more of that Northampton style, which has more elegance without going fully fashion forward such as the Southern European options. The American shoes such as the Alden and Allen Edmonds have a different style to them.

in terms of construction, again, I do think highly of Allen Edmonds so when I say Cheaney is comparable that is meant as a compliment.
In terms of style I think Cheaney has a different type of offering that might be preferred by some.

TheChihuahua,

Thanks for the additional comments and comparison. How was your Cheaney size compared to your AE size? I guess now I just need to choose a favorite style and order a pair.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
TheChihuahua,

Thanks for the additional comments and comparison. How was your Cheaney size compared to your AE size? I guess now I just need to choose a favorite style and order a pair.
They run similar with the adjustment for Uk vs US. (I am US 11 and UK 10.

here is a photo of what I think loosely represents the different styles
American (Alden and Allen Edmonds) are well built, wear well. They have a sort of fuller body look (not necessary bigger size, but the look). Great shoe for a fall day in New England, good hearty looking shoe.

the Southern Europe shoes tend to be more fashion forward. I would use the world stylish? Sleeker lines, nicer finishing, trimmed down soles with invisible channel stitching and beveled waists.

the Northampton shoes tend to be elegant. They have more style than the American shoes, but are not as sleek and fashionable as the Southern European shoes. Now gaziano and girling is Northampton and tend to be as sexy and sleek as any of the Southern European shoes, but in terms of the norm for the regions, this is what I find.

this picture has an Alden, a Cheaney and a cobbler union. Similar price points, I think the quality is similar, but you can see where these characteristics tend to show.

Attachments

• 641F5695-1488-46EC-8CDF-492706C40060.jpeg
    641F5695-1488-46EC-8CDF-492706C40060.jpeg
    296.8 KB · Views: 100
  • 235E13A8-DCC9-4E78-9E2E-4A81398D92F9.jpeg
    235E13A8-DCC9-4E78-9E2E-4A81398D92F9.jpeg
    423 KB · Views: 128

SumDude

Reaction score
They run similar with the adjustment for Uk vs US. (I am US 11 and UK 10.

here is a photo of what I think loosely represents the different styles
American (Alden and Allen Edmonds) are well built, wear well. They have a sort of fuller body look (not necessary bigger size, but the look). Great shoe for a fall day in New England, good hearty looking shoe.

the Southern Europe shoes tend to be more fashion forward. I would use the world stylish? Sleeker lines, nicer finishing, trimmed down soles with invisible channel stitching and beveled waists.

the Northampton shoes tend to be elegant. They have more style than the American shoes, but are not as sleek and fashionable as the Southern European shoes. Now gaziano and girling is Northampton and tend to be as sexy and sleek as any of the Southern European shoes, but in terms of the norm for the regions, this is what I find.

this picture has an Alden, a Cheaney and a cobbler union. Similar price points, I think the quality is similar, but you can see where these characteristics tend to show.

I see what you mean about the style differences. Thank you for posting the pictures. I am still surprised though to see you mention Alden as the same price point and quality as the others. I would have guessed they were one step above.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
I see what you mean about the style differences. Thank you for posting the pictures. I am still surprised though to see you mention Alden as the same price point and quality as the others. I would have guessed they were one step above.

nah, Alden is no better than Allen Edmonds. at least not for calfskin oxfords (shell cordovan maybe, and I know nothing about their boots/more outdoors style offerings). Yeah price point it a touch higher, but relatively the same (similar to Crockett and Jones vs Cheaney)

again, I don’t mean that as insult, because I think Allen Edmonds are very well made.

I think with Alden you are going to get a little more consistent finishing (lesss likely to get that rogue stitch or Unpunched brogue hole that you would get with Allen Edmonds), but in terms of the quality of the leather cover, construction and comfort, I can’t tell the difference.

and I love my Alden’s. I paid the full retailprice down on Wall Street about 13 years ago for them and they are still holding up great. But I wouldn’t say they are any better than a well made pair of Allen Edmonds (the main Allen Edmonds lines, not the Italian or more niche lines)

I like Cheaney better than Alden. I think they have a more elegant look with the same well made construction.

FYI, the walnut shoe is an Alden, the burgundy is an Allen Edmonds. There is no quality difference between the two. The idea that price is synonymous with quality doesn’t apply in this case.

18BB09FB-5BD6-45A3-BD27-2AFB07A1C4DF.jpeg

Last edited:

Whitehall

Reaction score
If anyone in the UK is thinking of making a purchase from the Cheaney UK web store, let me know and I may be able to help with a fairly substantial discount of around 20-30%. Does need to be the web store and not physical stores, I'm afraid.

Also, if anyone wears a Cheaney UK 6.5 - I'm selling most of my collection to make room for some EG MTOs. I've some pretty nice pieces to go including a BNIB 208 Imperial in bronzed Mocha and one of the nicest flagship exclusive Berkeley wholecuts Cheaney ever made, in Oxblood patina. PM me for pics and pricing.

Last edited:

Northants bloke

Reaction score
Today's Cheaneys 205 last.
No style name but the soles indicate they were intended for New and Lingwood. I bought these from the factory around 4 years ago. Closed channel soles and seven lace holes. I am not sure if any like this ever reached N&L but they are my favourite formal black shoes. I haven't worn a suit yet this year so sorry (not really) about the olive chinos.
20210429_174612.jpg

Whitehall

Reaction score
If anyone in the UK is thinking of making a purchase from the Cheaney UK web store, let me know and I may be able to help with a fairly substantial discount of around 20-30%. Does need to be the web store and not physical stores, I'm afraid.

Also, if anyone wears a Cheaney UK 6.5 - I'm selling most of my collection to make room for some EG MTOs. I've some pretty nice pieces to go including a BNIB 208 Imperial in bronzed Mocha and one of the nicest flagship exclusive Berkeley wholecuts Cheaney ever made, in Oxblood patina. PM me for pics and pricing.

I've now listed a few of my pairs from Cheaney and Herring on the classifieds here. All are UK 6.5 F - (Cheaney's standard width). Want these to go to folks who'll enjoy them. UK buyers preferred and postage is free but if you're especially keen I may be able to do intl. postage. Still also happy to help anyone with a big discount on the Cheaney web store.

Buckingham Imperial - UK 6.5 - as-new
s-l1600 (10).jpg

Berkeley Oxblood Patina - Flagship Exclusive
s-l1600 (6).jpg

Albany Derby
s-l1600 (1).jpg

Warwick captoe oxford
s-l1600.jpg

Tim Apple

Reaction score
Need some help here from the forum. I polished my dark brown Chelsea boots today and by mistake grabbed the brush that I used to buff out black polish. I realized this after buffing both shoes. No super noticible issues except maybe a duller than expected finish. How do I recover from this? Can I repolish with brown polish and buff with the correct brush, or do I have by a product to remove all the waxes?

Thanks!

Boggis

Reaction score
View attachment 1604235

Some well priced Cheaneys available on TK Maxx. Sizes 8-11.

I'd be wary, there was a poster on here who bought some Cheaney from TK Maxx & reported the leather was awful. I think he contacted Cheaney & they confirmed that they produced some "budget" items specifically for TK Maxx. If you search this thread you'll find the posts (I've not reread them myself so I might be misremembering details)

jalebi

Reaction score
I'd be wary, there was a poster on here who bought some Cheaney from TK Maxx & reported the leather was awful. I think he contacted Cheaney & they confirmed that they produced some "budget" items specifically for TK Maxx. If you search this thread you'll find the posts (I've not reread them myself so I might be misremembering details)

Looks like you're right.

Would also explain why they don't have an RRP on those shoes, and why the stock seems almost limitless.

I've bought Tricker's from TK Maxx before and they were definitely full quality overstock, seems like the Cheaney's on there are not as good a deal. Thanks for the heads up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads