• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheaney

rob80bboots

Reaction score
Look what got stuck in the snow.... Luckily I was just outside my house.

....and here I thought only my Fryes did that. : (
Had 2 pairs of their Seth Chelsea come undone last winter, but a quick fix with Shoe Goo. I was probably a bit to blame as I was too lazy to take them off properly and just forced down with the heal of the other foot, still shouldn't happen to a quality shoe like Cheaney. :(
IMG_7742.jpg
Frye Seth.png

Last edited:

Isiah Tongue

Reaction score
That isn't what you would expect from an English Goodyear welted shoemaker

Reactions: AWu

rob80bboots

Reaction score
Sorry man, but this is the straight way to kill even the best made shoe.
Don't ask me how I know ...
(well done with the self repair though)
After years with a one piece rubber healed/soled Chelsea like Blundstones, you get in the habit (a bad one:redface: ) of just whipping them off coming in the door. :eh:

kasza

Reaction score
It's probably a long shot, but if anyone sees some Arthur or Alfred Oxfords (other than black) in 9F with the Diamond Rubber sole, could you let me know. I fancy the Arthur dark leaf with rubber sole but the 9F is out of stock everywhere. Thanks :)

kasza

Reaction score
Also, after someone mentioned it here, I'm tempted by some Trafalgar boots. What are they like, comfortable? The 125 last in 9F is pretty perfect for me. I'm wondering how they compare.

rob80bboots

Reaction score
Also, after someone mentioned it here, I'm tempted by some Trafalgar boots. What are they like, comfortable? The 125 last in 9F is pretty perfect for me. I'm wondering how they compare.
May have been me, they are on a 12805 last so not too sure how it compares to the 125.
I've 5 pairs of Cheaney on the 12508 last all size 9, the Trafalgar and Ingleborough lace-up boots fit snug but are very comfortable, the Barnes III Chelsea and the Avaon and Ascot derby shoes are initially looser fit in but are better after the inner sole conforms to the foot.
The Trafalgar are a very nice, very light with Vibram -Lite sole, more secure on icy, slippery surfaces than the Dainite and the Brit Grip soles.
They initially come with very thin black laces but I've swapped them out for thicker and a dark brown to add nuance.
IMG_E0647.jpg

Last edited:

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently picked up that shearling-lined extra high pair by Cheaney. It's a solid shoe, very warm during those nastiest days, and I like what the Church family have done with the lineup and designs after taking over the Cheaney factory. They're even generous with their web store outlet's offerings.

Panama

Reaction score
I have just added two new Cheaney Oxfords to my existing rotation of Goodyear Welts:

Alfred Oxford in Mocha Last 125 from Classic collection
Beaton Oxford in Black Last 205

My current Cheaney's:

Holgate Derby in Black - Bought sometime between 2012-2015
Tay Oxford Brogue in Tan - Bought sometime between 2014-2015
Harrington Oxford in Black Last 6184 from Classic collection - 2019

oldworldelegance

Reaction score
I have two questions for those that have more experience with Cheaney (I only have one pair of loafers):

1. Does anybody own one of the Cheaney Balmoral boots (like the Brixworth or the Hanover)? If so, what are they like?
2. What is the real difference between Imperial and their main line?

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. I’ve got a pair of the balmoral boots they made for Bodileys - the Westminster - and they are lovely. In a reddish brown.
2. I’ve seen them but never owned a pair. The bevel on the waist doesn’t look well executed to my eye, but the upper quality was good. TBH at the price it’ll be looking elsewhere.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@oldworldelegance I too own a pair of Westminster boots from Bodileys, wich I managed to grab in sale for just £260 (before Brexit) in tan calf and brown suede.
They are nice, made by Cheaney on 11028 last. My only gripe is that, though in my usual UK 10.5 size, they run a little big - nothing too offending anyway.
On a second thought, maybe I might have gone with a UK 10, but I didn't want to take the hassle of returning them at the risk that the lower size ones were too narrow.
As @Nickd says, lovely boots.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads