• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheaney

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
I don’t feel any difference in height - we are only talking about a mm or two difference.

Here are a couple of pairs that I’ve had done by Shoehealer - the Oxfords very recently hence the lack of wear on the coversoles.

The little bit of extra money to get Vibram or Topy coversoles rather than the budget ones is worthwhile - the ones that used to be on the Oxfords were quite worn when I got them replaced, and were worst at the toes, hence getting toe plates fitted. On that subject, these are the two different plates they do - steel and brass.
View attachment 1533425 View attachment 1533426 View attachment 1533427 View attachment 1533428 View attachment 1533429
Please excuse the remote propping up the shoes!
Top work again. At a minimum I’d go for plates. On ones I’ve had done in JR soles I’ve left as they were (topy wise) sometimes. They aren’t exactly running a marathon with me to be fair! ?

Need a day out soon...

Northants bloke

Reaction score
They arrived today.:)
First impressions - I'm wowed by them so far.
I'm going to wear them at home for a couple of days first.

Attachments

• 20210113_211147.jpg
    20210113_211147.jpg
    471.9 KB · Views: 509

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They arrived today.:)
First impressions - I'm wowed by them so far.
I'm going to wear them at home for a couple of days first.
Finally, you got your boots: enjoy them with health!

They look quite similar to mine, with a different sole, laces and welt colour.
In my case, they didn't need any breaking time: comfortable from the first wear.

20210113_211147-jpg.1535166

9bae4e6328410e6da1b8b4f7fb6db776.jpg

Northants bloke

Reaction score
Finally, you got your boots: enjoy them with health!

They look quite similar to mine, with a different sole, laces and welt colour.
In my case, they didn't need any breaking time: comfortable from the first wear.

20210113_211147-jpg.1535166

9bae4e6328410e6da1b8b4f7fb6db776.jpg
I like yours too Mercurio. This is my first time with virbram soles whereas I already liked Dainite. They are comfy. Never worn green boots before but they are fairly restrained almost grey. Similar to the desert boot look with jeans or chinos. The sale price helped and my wife is into colourful boots herself so so importantly she approved. They are subtle by her standards.

I hope to get outside in them on Saturday.

Last edited:

kasza

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post here. I wear Cheaney's Alfred or Arthur Oxfords for work. The 125 last is the most comfortable I've found. All have leather soles. I once ordered the Alfreds with Dainite soles, exact same size 9F, but, surprisingly, they were too big. Does the rubber sole 'distort' the last? Cheaney accepted the return but gave no explanation. Has anyone else experienced this? Thank you. Luke.

Northants bloke

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post here. I wear Cheaney's Alfred or Arthur Oxfords for work. The 125 last is the most comfortable I've found. All have leather soles. I once ordered the Alfreds with Dainite soles, exact same size 9F, but, surprisingly, they were too big. Does the rubber sole 'distort' the last? Cheaney accepted the return but gave no explanation. Has anyone else experienced this? Thank you. Luke.
I don't think the material of the soles is the defining difference. I have several pairs of 205, some in 8.5, others in 9.
I like 125, 225 and 130 for good balance between sleekness and practicality.
I'm also enjoying some of the heavy lasts for walking around with nowhere to go at the moment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads