• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheaney

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for the Cheaney experts. There are a LOT of shoes that I want from their site but are out of stock. How long does it typically take to re-stock shoes that become unavailable? Weeks? Months? Never? I hate to miss out on what I really want, and settle for something lesser.

Thank you!
I suppose that it depends on the models, their success and time of the year, among other considerations. May I suggest writing and asking directly to Cheaney about your interest pieces: they might give you a better answer than anybody here.

monkey66

Reaction score
Question for the Cheaney experts. There are a LOT of shoes that I want from their site but are out of stock. How long does it typically take to re-stock shoes that become unavailable? Weeks? Months? Never? I hate to miss out on what I really want, and settle for something lesser.

Thank you!
Hard to say.

I have seen in recent sales prices come down over a few weeks on some models.

Tim Apple

Reaction score
I suppose that it depends on the models, their success and time of the year, among other considerations. May I suggest writing and asking directly to Cheaney about your interest pieces: they might give you a better answer than anybody here.

I shall do that Monday morning. Thank you.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hoggs of Fife Rannoch made by Cheaney,been mentioned a couple of times on this thread,does anyone have a pair ? I want to know if I should size down by half a size or a whole size ?

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hoggs of Fife Rannoch made by Cheaney,been mentioned a couple of times on this thread,does anyone have a pair ? I want to know if I should size down by half a size or a whole size ?
Related to US sizes? at least a whole size. With Cheaney I have downsized from 7.5 US to 6 UK as my feet are slender, with a low volume and instep: in my opinion, their lasts tend to be generous.

Tim Apple

Reaction score
Related to US sizes? at least a whole size. With Cheaney I have downsized from 7.5 US to 6 UK as my feet are slender, with a low volume and instep: in my opinion, their lasts tend to be generous.

You know, I might agree with this. i bought two pairs of Chelsea boots from Cheaney in my regular size and for the most part they fit OK, but I do feel some heel slip and wonder if maybe a half size lower would have been better. I'm in the US so order online so trying before buying is not an option. The next boot I want is their Balmoral boots which are much more expensive. Since they are laced I'm not sure going down in size is needed. Such a hard call to make.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I meant UK sizes,so from your US to UK downsizing I think that half a UK size down would be best,thanks.

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for my cheaney shoes, i definitely go down 1 full size.

their normal standard width is wider than an Allen Edmonds D width (i cannot fit Stran, park, fifth, at all) but I can fit Cheaney any style easily.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know, I might agree with this. i bought two pairs of Chelsea boots from Cheaney in my regular size and for the most part they fit OK, but I do feel some heel slip and wonder if maybe a half size lower would have been better. I'm in the US so order online so trying before buying is not an option. The next boot I want is their Balmoral boots which are much more expensive. Since they are laced I'm not sure going down in size is needed. Such a hard call to make.
It’s very hard to give any advice on proper sizing as it depends so much on how your feet adapt and respond to a certain last. I have found that most ”country” lasts are designed wide to allow thick socks to be used with their boots and, in my case, with my slim feet that means to further downsize.

As I have to buy online as you do, my research tends to be on the last used more than the boot or shoe particular model and with punctual mistakes, it has worked.

Tim Apple

Reaction score
It’s very hard to give any advice on proper sizing as it depends so much on how your feet adapt and respond to a certain last. I have found that most ”country” lasts are designed wide to allow thick socks to be used with their boots and, in my case, with my slim feet that means to further downsize.

As I have to buy online as you do, my research tends to be on the last used more than the boot or shoe particular model and with punctual mistakes, it has worked.

The Balmoral boots use the 15216 last, which from my novice view looks to be thinner and perhaps tighter, meaning possibly not the best shoe to size down with. The Chelsea boots that are slightly large on me use the 125 last, which appears more generous.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Balmoral boots use the 15216 last, which from my novice view looks to be thinner and perhaps tighter, meaning possibly not the best shoe to size down with. The Chelsea boots that are slightly large on me use the 125 last, which appears more generous.
I think you are right, that is an elongated last, quite different from the round shape of the "country" lasts.
From the Cheaney web page:

1572447407-09833700.png

PD: Probably somebody else with more knowledge on that last would give us their experience.

Last edited:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Hoggs of Fife Rannoch and the Cheaney Pennine (and probably all of their other Veldtschoen) are G wide fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads