• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheaney

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a "nostalgic" craving from my student days, even though at that time they were Dexter, an iconic brand that unfortunately disappeared several years ago, I finally bought the DORKING II model by Cheaney, GYW beef roll Penny Loafers with a “strange” green Itshide sole. (@Blake Stitched Blues, you were right about the sole colour).

I found “200" last, designed for this type of loafer, particularly comfortable: fit with my feet is perfect, which is not easy because they are thin, with a low instep and little volume. As usual for me with the Cheaney lasts, I went down half a size from what I use in other brands, without this having meant feeling narrow or tight. I wanted to replace some Bass Weejungs that I ended up giving away because their poor quality: some time ago I would have considered them "normal", but to the extent that you learn and know, the differences with a quality footwear jump to light.

Some pictures from my cell phone just to illustrate:

0fcdccd6c806e035e351ffeba41e872e.jpg

cb85a45082e73f14294a624c51132fcc.jpg

710a9928a0254f7574cb81add20110a3.jpg

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those look great @Mercurio

The green soles look a lot more subtle in your pictures than I was expecting.
In the pictures, they look more green than in real life, as it depends a lot on lighting: it's really subtle unless you decide to put a strong light under the shoes to really notice how green they are: I am quite glad about my purchase.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a "nostalgic" craving from my student days, even though at that time they were Dexter, an iconic brand that unfortunately disappeared several years ago, I finally bought the DORKING II model by Cheaney, GYW beef roll Penny Loafers with a “strange” green Itshide sole. (@Blake Stitched Blues, you were right about the sole colour).

I found “200" last, designed for this type of loafer, particularly comfortable: fit with my feet is perfect, which is not easy because they are thin, with a low instep and little volume. As usual for me with the Cheaney lasts, I went down half a size from what I use in other brands, without this having meant feeling narrow or tight. I wanted to replace some Bass Weejungs that I ended up giving away because their poor quality: some time ago I would have considered them "normal", but to the extent that you learn and know, the differences with a quality footwear jump to light.

Very nice, enjoy your shoes!

leparrain7

Reaction score

beautiful loafer, really they look like the famous Dexter that I also knew when I was a student ?‍?

rob80bboots

Reaction score
Hi Folks...first posting on the Cheaney Thread and curious if anyone else has experienced a sizing difference between their boots and shoes on the same last and width.
As I currently already owned a pair of Barnes III Chelseas and newly acquired Trafalars, sizing should be a no brainer on the pair of Ascots, which have been on my wish list forever and hard to resist with the current sale, so ordered on the weekend and received today from Matchfashion...all are on the 12508 Last F fitting.... but the new derby Ascots feel at least a 1/2 or almost full size longer, therefore excessive space at the back of the heel as if the foot has more forward movement. Would have thought they'd be identical to the Trafager Boots, which are a slimmer fitting.
Should say I also have about 6 pairs of Tricker's all in a 9UK and a few in 8 1/2 UK depending on the last.

Aside from that, excellent service and really nice packaging from MatchFashion and the shoes are as to be expected from Cheaney...therefore very nice IMHO with excellent craftsman's ship.

ascot 5.jpg

ascot 2.jpg
ascot 1.jpg

....and although Matchfashion offer customer satisfaction and even a prepaid return label I'm tempted to hold onto the shoes, if they were too small off they'd go...but an insert or extra socks....well hhhhmmm.

New Trafalgar
IMG_E0061.jpg

Barnes III
IMG_E9712.jpg

Last edited:

rob80bboots

Reaction score
With reference to my post above, gave the Ascots a quick try this morning on the larger right foot with thin socks, and if I'm honest with myself IMHO is a perfect fit and can't see sizing down to accommodate the left. If I force my feet forward within the shoe, the box on the Ascot appears to be more generous so a thicker sock it will be.

Last edited:

rob80bboots

Reaction score
Love these, must get a plain toe sometime.

Yep, something about a no nonsense appearance or maybe just the honesty in their design.
Also just recently picked up a similar Trickers Daniel in black,

......although they are paneled....
Profile.jpg

where as the Ascot is one piece forming the foot.......
Cheaney Ascot.png

....like Tricker's Robert but which is a sleeker profile.
TRickers Robert.png

......both are super comfortable...hard to decide which one to wear. :cool:
Acsot and Daniel.jpg

Tim Apple

Reaction score
Question for the Cheaney experts. There are a LOT of shoes that I want from their site but are out of stock. How long does it typically take to re-stock shoes that become unavailable? Weeks? Months? Never? I hate to miss out on what I really want, and settle for something lesser.

Thank you!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads