• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheaney

rakuskus

Reaction score
I have since February Garforth chukka on the last 12508 in 8.5 uk, in length I have room almost 2 cm apart with the hard end, in width I am good, but in height I am tight especially on my strongest foot, according to research the last Cheaney generally lack space at the level of the height.
so if you have a flat foot, maybe it will work for you because the two lasts are equivalent.
besides I put skates on my chukka, I am about ten wearing and it is always a little tight at the top.
View attachment 1393436 View attachment 1393437

Hi, thanks for the reply. Just want to share my experience after receiving the shoes. Taking a half size down in the125 last turn out to be a right decision. The shoes fit me perfectly, I do not feel any tight spot anywhere. This is the first time for me to take a half size down in a F fitting (Normal UK width) for any Northampton brands that fits. I'm surprise actually.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the reply. Just want to share my experience after receiving the shoes. Taking a half size down in the125 last turn out to be a right decision. The shoes fit me perfectly, I do not feel any tight spot anywhere. This is the first time for me to take a half size down in a F fitting (Normal UK width) for any Northampton brands that fits. I'm surprise actually.
I did the same with my Herring Kirkdale Chelsea boots, made on the 175 last by Cheaney: I took half size down and they fit perfectly.

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My bad weather rotation:

20201021_205430.jpg
20201021_205443.jpg

Left to right: Liffey, Ribble, Pennine II
All on Commando sole

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheanways for Herring. Not impressed with the leather quality tbh. Also, the shaft is much wider than on their other boots which results in a gap.

20201022_121520.jpg
20201022_121533.jpg
20201022_121856.jpg

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would like to know if somebody in this thread has experience with the Cheaney "200 last" in terms of fitting, particularly with the Dorking II Penny loafer. They are built with a "coaching calf leather" and I wonder if that is a rectified kind of leather, that I might avoid as a possible deal-breaker.

cheaney-dorking-ii-r-penny-loafer-in-burgundy-coaching-calf-leather-p1059-7310_medium.jpg

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Mercurio Looks like it's corrected grain unfortunately :(
Thank you for your response, unfortunately, I have found that too many penny loafers, in different brands, are made with this kind of leather... Is there a reason for this "ugly" choice? Would you consider it a deal-breaker?

lawsonrisa

Reaction score
New winter boots.

Picked up some Ingleborough Mahogany Grain hiker boots - the color is much darker than the pics on Cheaney's site, more of a dark oxblood look.

Love the combination of the pebbled leather on the hiker look. It goes great with dark slim jeans, with a more military style.

This is my first pair of decent goodyear welted shoes. Worn them once and the quality seems outstanding. I'd heard some questions over Cheaney's quality these days, but from my perspective they are a huge step up from the 150-200 USD range I've usually looked at for boots.

IMG_3143.jpg

The laces aren't this blue, but the photo settings were shifted to get the leather color accurate.

Last edited:

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your response, unfortunately, I have found that too many penny loafers, in different brands, are made with this kind of leather... Is there a reason for this "ugly" choice? Would you consider it a deal-breaker?

I only like pennies in suede but the coach leather doesn't look all that bad. It's the green Dainite soles that would be the deal-breaker for me personally.

cheaney-dorking-ii-r-penny-loafer-in-burgundy-coaching-calf-leather-p1059-7309_medium.jpg

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only like pennies in suede but the coach leather doesn't look all that bad. It's the green Dainite soles that would be the deal-breaker for me personally.

cheaney-dorking-ii-r-penny-loafer-in-burgundy-coaching-calf-leather-p1059-7309_medium.jpg
I suspect that the green cast is a result of the photo lighting, not the real colour but it would be nice if somebody can confirm it. By the way, they are Itshide soles, not Dainite, which "are made in Black, Caramel, Brick Red, Honey, Blue, and White", according to their web page: no green soles, that makes me think that the real colour is black, even though a dull one.

03808b_6db9346b51424407a9307acca62052bc~mv2.jpg

On the other hand, that rubber sole suggests a fall and winter use for the penny loafers, that could explain the "coaching calf leather" choice...

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheany list the sole as 'Green Dainite' on their website. You're right though, it is Itshide. No real difference between them in my experience.

thatshoeotaku

Reaction score

The coaching calf is some what "oily", like a pull-up leather, it's definitely corrected but I don't think it's corrected as much as say something like Church's polished binder

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics