• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheaney

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Considering a pair of Cheaney Godfrey Ds, does anyone know how the quality compares to RM Williams?

Leather quality for the uppers is about the same. The RMs will be whole-cut and typically have a chiseled last and a choice of leather insoles or two different types of cushioned insoles and outsoles. Cheaney will have a standard GYW leather insole and their own 'diamond' rubber outsole.

Aesthetically I prefer the RMs but that's mostly because I've owned them for so long that all other chelsea boots don't look quite right to me anymore.

Cade

Reaction score
More of a shoe care question, but since this is about Cheaney's Dark Leaf, i thought i'd ask here.

I bought a pair of Avon R and the medaillon parts of the toes are burnished (as with virtually all Dark Leaf versions). The leather is extremely dry. I would like to use some Famaco Geele Deliacate on them but i'm don't nknow if it might damage the burnishing. Have you guys conditioned Dark Leaf coloured shoes with or without ill effects?
It's always been a practice of mine to condition new shoes.
I did a one time application of Saphir Creme Universelle with bare fingers when I first got mine.
Even though I was extremely gentle, it did take away some color.
I applied a medium brown cream after that and the results were very acceptable.
Using conditioners on burnished leather is mostly a bad idea so please do a spot test first if you absolutely have to.
Cheers!

BXpress

Reaction score
Using conditioners on burnished leather is mostly a bad idea so please do a spot test first if you absolutely have to.
Cheers!

I suspected it. I thought that burnishing might be different from Museum calf, but seems not. I'll just condition the vamp then as it is solid colour and the part that gets bent most. Thank you.

Phoenician

Reaction score
I suspected it. I thought that burnishing might be different from Museum calf, but seems not. I'll just condition the vamp then as it is solid colour and the part that gets bent most. Thank you.
Spot test is best, but I will say that I’ve never had a problem with color or finish coming off when using Bick 4 as it’s very gentle. I use my fingers to apply so that it’s not course going on

Phoenician

Reaction score
Considering a pair of Cheaney Godfrey Ds, does anyone know how the quality compares to RM Williams?

I have and like both, but prefer the leather quality and build of the RMs. But they are considerably more expensive too, so there is that

Septic

Reaction score
Hi Everyone - My first post here, so I thought I'd share my first eBay Cheaney shoes. They are Thorne II on 6184 last. Cost me £40, but I have factored in the cost of sending to Cheaney for a resole. After looking at this forum for while, I sadly think that I may end up forming an unfortunate shoe "habit".
Thorne II.jpeg
Thorne II Side.jpg

Thorne II Inner.jpg
Thorne II Soles.jpg

**Added picture of soles now, will update after I get them back from Cheaney**

Last edited:

Septic

Reaction score
They are nice, what style name are they. I think I'd be in trouble if I lived near the Cheaney factory. Hoping to go there next month though.

Northants bloke

Reaction score
Thanks Septic. The Cheaney shop is certainly my guilty pleasure. I don't tend to visit the other factories. It was my first visit since lockdown ostensibly to take my chukkas in for refurbishment but these leaped out at me. These were labelled 'Andrew'. Made for a clothing brand. They were also available in olive green. 360 storm welt. I felt the chunky 12508 last is balanced a little by the double stitch toe cap.

Last edited:

Northants bloke

Reaction score
is there parking at the factory shop or is it on street parking only please.

There is a car park. Desborough is a small place around 17 miles north of Northampton. Parking is no problem. Nearby Rothwell and Market Harborough are reasonable lunch stops. Market Harborough also has a Loake factory outlet.

Just the standard warning that the shop is a scruffy looking cottage opposite the factory. It doesn't stock the website catalogue although you might be able to request items in advance ( I haven't tried). The factory shop is more about specials, end of line, private label pieces, surplus and seconds. As far as I'm concerned it's well worth a visit. I have visited all the other Northamptonshire factory oulets but it is always Cheaney I come back to. Like yesterday, I often leave with items I never knew I wanted. ?

Last edited:

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Hi Everyone - My first post here, so I thought I'd share my first eBay Cheaney shoes. They are Thorne II on 6184 last. Cost me £40, but I have factored in the cost of sending to Cheaney for a resole. After looking at this forum for while, I sadly think that I may end up forming an unfortunate shoe "habit".
View attachment 1437374 View attachment 1437377
View attachment 1437375 View attachment 1437508

**Added picture of soles now, will update after I get them back from Cheaney**
Soles don’t look too bad? Maybe a topy and toe plates may suffice? That said if you e sent will come back looking as new.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics