• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheaney

Cade

Reaction score
I have just sent off for some Lock Laces. Could use the boots more often - rather than having to consider if I would be wearing them long enough to justify the hassle of putting them on.

Not sure about the Chelsea boot comparison though, I always need a shoe tree for my RM Williams.
Good for you! I hope you get as much usage from them as I do. I hope you got the authentic Lock Laces. There are cheap rip offs made from pure rubber that do not last. The real one uses a similar technique like those of a bungee cord for their laces.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good for you! I hope you get as much usage from them as I do. I hope you got the authentic Lock Laces. There are cheap rip offs made from pure rubber that do not last. The real one uses a similar technique like those of a bungee cord for their laces.
It said Lock Laces on the Amazon site. Went for black ones.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It said Lock Laces on the Amazon site. Went for black ones.
Photos show the comparison better.

Left boot is Cheaney supplied lace(brown)
Right boot is Lock Lace (Black)
Lock Lace is 72 inch long. I have not cut it to size yet. I want to get used to them before I do that. I felt that a cross lacing pattern worked better for elastic laces though I prefer straight lacing.
You can see that the top hole on the left boot is not used and there is not much spare lace to tie the knot.
I have a high instep. So I need plenty of space to get the boots on.
29EEC359-13B0-4D34-BB70-1E27C1E7B09B.jpeg
42EA4853-D97E-4FAC-A69A-E7882CB9215E.jpeg

Last edited:

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is the definitive article on Veldtschoen. You can see the Lotus boots have eight holes
In this one, the author considers alternative manufacturers.
The Alfred Sargent also have nine holes, but the Trickers at the bottom have seven holes which I think is ideal. Though at the moment Trickers no longer offer Veldtschoen http://loomstate.blogspot.com/2012/02/veldtschoen-variations.html

Cade

Reaction score
Here is the definitive article on Veldtschoen. You can see the Lotus boots have eight holes
In this one, the author considers alternative manufacturers.
The Alfred Sargent also have nine holes, but the Trickers at the bottom have seven holes which I think is ideal. Though at the moment Trickers no longer offer Veldtschoen http://loomstate.blogspot.com/2012/02/veldtschoen-variations.html
Looking good. No doubt you'll be adjusting to the new laces but it shouldn't be long.
The pennines are pretty much the only boots I have problems with. I believe we aren't the only ones who mentioned the lacing issue.
As you can see from comparison with the other shoes you mentioned, the size of the holes and spacing between are the main culprits.
I agree that Tricker's seven hole configuration is ideal. I was using them so much more until ,like you, I found it such a waste not using the pennines. A buddy from the army suggested I try the Lock laces. Problem solved. Cheers!

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking good. No doubt you'll be adjusting to the new laces but it shouldn't be long.
The pennines are pretty much the only boots I have problems with. I believe we aren't the only ones who mentioned the lacing issue.
As you can see from comparison with the other shoes you mentioned, the size of the holes and spacing between are the main culprits.
I agree that Tricker's seven hole configuration is ideal. I was using them so much more until ,like you, I found it such a waste not using the pennines. A buddy from the army suggested I try the Lock laces. Problem solved. Cheers!
At the moment it seems that I will be using most of the length on the Lock Laces. Definitely do not just lace up the boots and tighten and then cut leaving four of five inches excess.

I also found Ian’s lace site useful. I will be using the over and under pattern.

Cade

Reaction score
At the moment it seems that I will be using most of the length on the Lock Laces. Definitely do not just lace up the boots and tighten and then cut leaving four of five inches excess.

I also found Ian’s lace site useful. I will be using the over and under pattern.
Here's a tip for the laces. If you can measure how much your using and cut off the excess in one length, there could be enough for another shoe like chukkas, sneakers, etc. All you need then is to improvise or get another set of clips for it.
I'm using the inverted army lacing style which probably explains why I have a lot of excess.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a tip for the laces. If you can measure how much your using and cut off the excess in one length, there could be enough for another shoe like chukkas, sneakers, etc. All you need then is to improvise or get another set of clips for it.
I'm using the inverted army lacing style which probably explains why I have a lot of excess.
I have had a rethink. I looked at Army lacing on Ian’s site. The benefit - apart from using shorter laces - is that there is not so much excess lacing when you open or close the boot. You don’t have a fist full of lacing.

So I am giving that a go for a while. I suppose the original Cheaney laces would work better with Army lacing too. You could even use the top hole.

With Army lacing it is definitely easier to put on and remove the boot.

Cade

Reaction score
I have had a rethink. I looked at Army lacing on Ian’s site. The benefit - apart from using shorter laces - is that there is not so much excess lacing when you open or close the boot. You don’t have a fist full of lacing.

So I am giving that a go for a while. I suppose the original Cheaney laces would work better with Army lacing too. You could even use the top hole.

With Army lacing it is definitely easier to put on and remove the boot.
I've tried the original laces with the army lacing and it still didn't work for me. If they were just 2 inches longer, maybe. Anyway, don't let that put you off. I'm too used to the ease of using the lock laces and it's only for this particular boot.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've tried the original laces with the army lacing and it still didn't work for me. If they were just 2 inches longer, maybe. Anyway, don't let that put you off. I'm too used to the ease of using the lock laces and it's only for this particular boot.
I will still be using Lock Laces - but Army lacing might be worth a try for those who don’t have Lock Laces.

With either lace, there is far less clutter in your hand when opening and closing the boot. Lace clutter is a particular issue on this nine hole boot.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any experience with the CHEANEY Cole R Monkey Boot?
Their price is similar to the Jarrow, I have doubts which one to choose...

Cade

Reaction score
Any experience with the CHEANEY Cole R Monkey Boot?
Their price is similar to the Jarrow, I have doubts which one to choose...

I don't own any of these but I can almost guarantee you'll wear the monkey boot more often if you had both of them.
I got both styles but from different brands so I can only comment on the usage.
The monkey boot is more casual and easier to wear. The lacing system provides more flexibility for your feet. So if you're looking for more range of motion and comfort, it's gotta be the monkey boot.
The Jarrow offers more support but if you scroll up, you'll read that it can be a little tedious to deal with. The lacing can be a chore. Once it's on though, the comfort and security from it is obvious.
Style wise, the Jarrow wins. You're always gonna look smarter with the Jarrow.
Good luck with your choice. Cheers!

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Commando lacing might address the short laces issue on 9 hole boots without purchasing additional laces.
The bottom knot may irritate though if the lacing is tight. You also need to decide how to secure the top lace. You have 152% longer ends. So length would no longer be an issue.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads