• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheaney

Meyboom

Reaction score
I have just recently purchased a pair of Lancaster's from their Imperial range, and I must say that I was genuinely impressed by the level of quality and craftsmanship. It's a shame that they are not as popular as the other major brands. Here's a picture.
View attachment 1394908
Beautiful shoes. I own 2 pairs of the former Imperial range on the 208 last. They are great shoes with lots of character. Leather quality and finishing is impressive. They also have thick insoles and the 208 last offers a lot of support to the feet. Hows the fit of the new 15216 last?

The Thai Gent

Reaction score
Beautiful shoes. I own 2 pairs of the former Imperial range on the 208 last. They are great shoes with lots of character. Leather quality and finishing is impressive. They also have thick insoles and the 208 last offers a lot of support to the feet. Hows the fit of the new 15216 last?
Yes, the leather quality and level of finishing is very good. I haven't had the chance to try the 208 last, but compared to other brands, I think the fit of this last is quite generous in the width but the arch area is rather tight - I guess it is like that because of the way they tried to suppress the waist of the shoe. The overall silhouette is quite elongated.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
A nice boot but it seams discontinued

Brand: Cheaney
Model: Hampton
Supplier: Herrings
Last: 1978
Sole: Golf rubber / 360 welt /

Note: A nice "dealer boot" (I believe that is named that way due to the taller shaft), was a tad hard to break it down, it has a "Veldtschoen" construction. Has an interesting square toe shape. This boots look great after a day in the country (mud and dust give character to them).

View attachment 1392825 View attachment 1392826 View attachment 1392827
Dealer is just another name for Chelsea boot in the UK. It’s more popular in rural areas as the farmer when taking stock to market is the ‘dealer’ in this instance and they’re popular as easy to get on and off on farms.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dealer is just another name for Chelsea boot in the UK. It’s more popular in rural areas as the farmer when taking stock to market is the ‘dealer’ in this instance and they’re popular as easy to get on and off on farms.

Thank you Crafty, it makes sense, easy to take on/on and to clean mud, dirt and other sticky things common in farming.

I always wondered if heavily brogued shoes or boots where practical for rural work, I spend lots of q-tips cleaning de brogueing.

Cheers

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Thank you Crafty, it makes sense, easy to take on/on and to clean mud, dirt and other sticky things common in farming.

I always wondered if heavily brogued shoes or boots where practical for rural work, I spend lots of q-tips cleaning de brogueing.

Cheers
Brogued shoes were originally actual holes to drain water from field workers shoes..just decorative now of course.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cheers

I don’t think many rural workers use them now. I think when they did they would not take particularly fine care of them, most likely quite heavy application of polish or dubbin.

My local cobbler always refers to my veldtschoen boots as “farmer boots” and says that veldtschoen used to be popular among farmers. I can see why as they are hardy, water resistant footwear.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
I don’t think many rural workers use them now. I think when they did they would not take particularly fine care of them, most likely quite heavy application of polish or dubbin.

My local cobbler always refers to my veldtschoen boots as “farmer boots” and says that veldtschoen used to be popular among farmers. I can see why as they are hardy, water resistant footwear.
Folk here still refer to em as ‘dealers’. We are yowkels though..

Chowkin

Reaction score
I’ve heard of these but never actually see a surviving pair. Would be interesting!

New MTO? Real brogues with holes?
Maybe some hobnails too

No need to go MTOUnfortunately these are ladies shoes:

20FC60AE-042D-478D-A833-6CDB2280399B.jpeg

Cade

Reaction score
A nice boot but it seams discontinued

Brand: Cheaney
Model: Hampton
Supplier: Herrings
Last: 1978
Sole: Golf rubber / 360 welt /

Note: A nice "dealer boot" (I believe that is named that way due to the taller shaft), was a tad hard to break it down, it has a "Veldtschoen" construction. Has an interesting square toe shape. This boots look great after a day in the country (mud and dust give character to them).

View attachment 1392825 View attachment 1392826 View attachment 1392827
Pair them with jeans and a Henley, women be just raining on you.?
A "farmer" fetish maybe?
My wife doesn't like them for that reason. I love them for their convenience and practicality.
A good investment . Cheers!

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cade

Reaction score
I have a pair of Pennines. They are good veldtschoen and I don’t like speed hooks.

However, they would be a better boot with seven holes instead of nine. I never bother with the top hole anyway. The laces are also too short. So you end up unthreading and rethreading the boots all the time.
I second your assessment on the Pennines. The laces were a pain to deal with which is why I bought Lock Laces. It's not a classy solution but a practical one.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I second your assessment on the Pennines. The laces were a pain to deal with which is why I bought Lock Laces. It's not a classy solution but a practical one.
Interesting. I had to look up Lock Laces.

I suppose another way might be really long laces that wind around the back of the boot. Then there would be enough slack to solve the threading/unthreading issue.

Cade

Reaction score
Interesting. I had to look up Lock Laces.

I suppose another way might be really long laces that wind around the back of the boot. Then there would be enough slack to solve the threading/unthreading issue.
Tried your way initially and it was acceptable until I nearly tripped a few times. Plus I couldn't use those thicker laces that I preferred. The eyelets are small and too closely spaced. Finally decided to get the Lock Laces. Now , it's on and off in 5 seconds. KInda like putting on a Chelsea but with better ankle support.?
I haven't looked back. ?

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tried your way initially and it was acceptable until I nearly tripped a few times. Plus I couldn't use those thicker laces that I preferred. The eyelets are small and too closely spaced. Finally decided to get the Lock Laces. Now , it's on and off in 5 seconds. KInda like putting on a Chelsea but with better ankle support.?
I haven't looked back. ?
I have just sent off for some Lock Laces. Could use the boots more often - rather than having to consider if I would be wearing them long enough to justify the hassle of putting them on.

Not sure about the Chelsea boot comparison though, I always need a shoe tree for my RM Williams.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads