• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheaney

Northants bloke

Reaction score
... Apparently Cheaney's 6184 last, developed in 1974, was specifically conceived for the U.S. market (on a similar note, Cheaney's more recent 125 last was originally developed for the Japanese market, but also has found popularity in the general world market)....

Impressive knowledge ob. Please tell us more!

I live in the Northamptonshire area but I've never been in the industry myself and none of my family ever worked for Church/Cheaney to my knowledge. I've only developed an interest in Cheaney much later - several years after Dr Martens closed local factories and I had thought Northampton no longer made shoes.

I happen to have a pair of 6184's that I picked at the factory shop once. Not as eye catching as the 205, 225, 125 and 130 but a very nice fitting discreet last.

Attachments

• 20200515_165720.jpg
    20200515_165720.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 141

Meyboom

Reaction score

I live in the Northamptonshire area but I've never been in the industry myself and none of my family ever worked for Church/Cheaney to my knowledge. I've only developed an interest in Cheaney much later - several years after Dr Martens closed local factories and I had thought Northampton no longer made shoes.

I happen to have a pair of 6184's that I picked at the factory shop once. Not as eye catching as the 205, 225, 125 and 130 but a very nice fitting discreet last.
It is quite common for shoemakers to design lasts for specific markets. The famous Vass F and U last were originally designed for the Japanese market. Same goes for some Enzo Bonafe lasts. Funny thing is that nowadays some Japanese makers have developped specific lasts for our market, often going by original names like 'International last' :)

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A nice boot but it seams discontinued

Brand: Cheaney
Model: Hampton
Supplier: Herrings
Last: 1978
Sole: Golf rubber / 360 welt /

Note: A nice "dealer boot" (I believe that is named that way due to the taller shaft), was a tad hard to break it down, it has a "Veldtschoen" construction. Has an interesting square toe shape. This boots look great after a day in the country (mud and dust give character to them).

IMG_1330.JPG
IMG_1331.JPG
IMG_1335.JPG

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hows cheaney sizing? I wear 10,5uk for AS and CJ, what size should i get for cheaney125 last?

I'm the same size as you. I've tried Cheaney's 125 and 130 lasts and found both to run slightly narrow and low on the instep. Returning the Jackie chukkas and King II derby boots was a heartbreaker but I just couldn't get a great fit in either last. They make really attractive shoes in my opinion - surprisingly light and a little old-fashioned in the best possible way.

sqOjPVX.jpg

Meyboom

Reaction score
This again shows that all feet are different and fit is a highly personal matter. I agree that 125 is on the narrow side and would recommend people with wider feet to take the G width. But I have a high instep and have never had issues in that area with the 125 (contrary to other English brands like CJ, EG and FS).

rakuskus

Reaction score
I'm the same size as you. I've tried Cheaney's 125 and 130 lasts and found both to run slightly narrow and low on the instep. Returning the Jackie chukkas and King II derby boots was a heartbreaker but I just couldn't get a great fit in either last. They make really attractive shoes in my opinion - surprisingly light and a little old-fashioned in the best possible way.

sqOjPVX.jpg
Thanks, but i just bought cheaney in 125 last a half size down because i have the 12508 and a half size down fit me the best. Did i just make a mistake? The shoes hasnt arrive yet. I cant try instore because of the pandemic, im crossing my finger here. Me feet are flat with low instep medium width.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Very impressed with my new Cheaneys

Attachments

• 4124D42F-366C-40AB-BCAB-3E3C3367B334.jpeg
    4124D42F-366C-40AB-BCAB-3E3C3367B334.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 95

leparrain7

Reaction score
Thanks, but i just bought cheaney in 125 last a half size down because i have the 12508 and a half size down fit me the best. Did i just make a mistake? The shoes hasnt arrive yet. I cant try instore because of the pandemic, im crossing my finger here. Me feet are flat with low instep medium width.
I have since February Garforth chukka on the last 12508 in 8.5 uk, in length I have room almost 2 cm apart with the hard end, in width I am good, but in height I am tight especially on my strongest foot, according to research the last Cheaney generally lack space at the level of the height.
so if you have a flat foot, maybe it will work for you because the two lasts are equivalent.
besides I put skates on my chukka, I am about ten wearing and it is always a little tight at the top.
D0922CFF-C725-498E-9104-60AD9429D68D.jpeg
FDA64749-86BF-4A83-A098-EC315EDC1FC7.jpeg

obc28.5

Reaction score
Japan is Cheaney's largest foreign market, and aggressively markets here. Special edition and anniversary models are popular (this is not just with imported goods but also domestic products), and the use of numbers 125 and 130 (signifying the company anniversary) for the lasts also ties into the English heritage of the product- reminding the prospective customer that the firm is old (and thus having a respectable air). Remember, Japan is a country unique in Asia where extant firms/businesses that have histories that stretch back centuries is not unusual. It's been estimated that there are 21,000+ firms that have been in business for more than 100 years, and 3,000+ more than 200 years.

Last edited:

thatshoeotaku

Reaction score

125 wasn't developed specifically for the Japanese market. I understand it was the first last that Cheaney developed after the takeover from Prada.

Cheaney were strategically moving away from OEM to building their own brand presence. Having an original last and tying it together with their anniversary was a very good move to create their own identity.

Most popular model now in Japan is Cairngorm, which is on the 4436, their oldest last, apparently Cheaney lost records of when it was first introduced. It is a military last so there's that English heritage there and it works well with the Japanese fashion

obc28.5

Reaction score
125 wasn't developed specifically for the Japanese market.

According to the Watanabe & Co website (which is the main importer of Cheaney shoes), it was.
From their website:
[2011年、ジョセフ チーニーが創業125周年を迎えて新たに生み出したのが125ラストでした。もともとは日本市場からの意見を取り入れて開発されたラストです..]
Translated: In 2011, Joseph Cheaney, to celebrate their 125th anniversary, created the 125 last. It was originally developed with input/opinions from the Japanese market...

Perhaps Watanabe is embellishing the story, but there is no doubt that Cheaney develops lasts that are compatible with their biggest foreign market.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads