• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheaney

Meyboom

Reaction score
Nice boots, I have been tempted by a pair of these in the past. I imagine they are only bearable in pretty cold weather.
They are indeed quite warm since they are fully lined. This year they didn't get much wear due to a mild winter. But when the weather turns cold and wet these boots are terrific.

Northants bloke

Reaction score
I don't wear black footwear very often these days but these smart black chukkas deserve more attention. Labelled 'Crowthorne' from the factory shop intended for the Japanese market.

Attachments

• 20200408_142022.jpg
    20200408_142022.jpg
    577.2 KB · Views: 87

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I did have the Rannoch and found that nice and wide. Very comfortable boot.

I think the Cairngorm has different leather. The Rannoch is classed as zug whereas the Cairngorm isn’t. It’s a very nice looking grain with some burnish on the toe.
I also have the Hoggs Veldtschoen shoe in Zug leather. It’s a lot easier to slip a shoe on, so consequently they get a lot of wear. Zug leather gets a lot of praise though I find that Zug ages with a reddish colour coming through with wear.
I also have the Cheaney veldtschoen boot - but made for M&S. The nine holes look better than speed hooks but they do take time to put on. Moreso as the supplied laces are not very long and have to be removed from some of the upper holes. I get the feeling it might have worked better with only seven holes. I often neglect to use the top hole anyway.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also have the Hoggs Veldtschoen shoe in Zug leather. It’s a lot easier to slip a shoe on, so consequently they get a lot of wear. Zug leather gets a lot of praise though I find that Zug ages with a reddish colour coming through with wear.
I also have the Cheaney veldtschoen boot - but made for M&S. The nine holes look better than speed hooks but they do take time to put on. Moreso as the supplied laces are not very long and have to be removed from some of the upper holes. I get the feeling it might have worked better with only seven holes. I often neglect to use the top hole anyway.

My Tecnic veldtschoen boots are 8” height and have all eyelets so not the easiest to get on and off. Full bellows tongue doesn’t help either!

Rannoch boots had 4 speed hooks from memory which helped and I think my Snowdon’s have 5.

I like the look of the Hoggs Dornoch shoe, like a cross between a Cairngorm and the Edward Green veldt shoe for Holland and Holland. Almost certainly looks Cheaney made.

I can’t imagine seeing veldtschoen in M&S, times must have changed

Meyboom

Reaction score
Cheaney of the day, day 4.

Brand: Cheaney
Model: Godfrey d
Last: 125
Colour: burnished conker
Sole: diamond rubber sole

Note: this pair has seen quite some wear and the way they look is testimony to the great leather that Cheaney uses.

DSC_0180.JPG
DSC_0181.JPG

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheaney of the day, day 4.

Model: Godfrey d
Last: 125
Colour: burnished conker
Sole: diamond rubber sole

Note: this pair has seen quite some wear and the way they look is testimony to the great leather that Cheaney uses.

View attachment 1368211 View attachment 1368213

Creasing looks minimal. Very nice

Chelsea’s aren’t really my style but I can see the appeal

Meyboom

Reaction score
Creasing looks minimal. Very nice

Chelsea’s aren’t really my style but I can see the appeal
Its my only pair of Chelseas and I wear them mostly in the weekend. Easy to get on and off and work well with chinos and denim. Im very pleased with the quality of leather Cheaney uses. It looks like Cheaney is quite picky on which parts of the hide they use. In my experience they are on par with C&J when it comes to leather quality.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Its my only pair of Chelseas and I wear them mostly in the weekend. Easy to get on and off and work well with chinos and denim. Im very pleased with the quality of leather Cheaney uses. It looks like Cheaney is quite picky on which parts of the hide they use. In my experience they are on par with C&J when it comes to leather quality.
I’ve gazillions of Chelsea’s, mainly RM Williams. Got Mrs Crafty a Cheaney Chelsea for Xmas and she loves them and agree easily a match for C and J (I’ve their Chelsea boots too!).

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Tecnic veldtschoen boots are 8” height and have all eyelets so not the easiest to get on and off. Full bellows tongue doesn’t help either!

Rannoch boots had 4 speed hooks from memory which helped and I think my Snowdon’s have 5.

I like the look of the Hoggs Dornoch shoe, like a cross between a Cairngorm and the Edward Green veldt shoe for Holland and Holland. Almost certainly looks Cheaney made.

I can’t imagine seeing veldtschoen in M&S, times must have changed
M&S had a short lived ‘Best of British’ range which featured more expensive items than they usually stock.

I have looked at the Dornoch and it looks a good option. I do like the plain uppers and dark leathers of British veldtschoen though. It is very practical for muddy conditions. Trickers light tans and large broguing must be awkward to look after if used in this country throughout the year.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
M&S had a short lived ‘Best of British’ range which featured more expensive items than they usually stock.

I have looked at the Dornoch and it looks a good option. I do like the plain uppers and dark leathers of British veldtschoen though. It is very practical for muddy conditions. Trickers light tans and large broguing must be awkward to look after if used in this country throughout the year.

I agreed regarding the plain uppers of veldtschoen, the Dornoch is somewhere between a brogue and a traditional veldt shoe.

I have seen best of British items preowned before and they generally look impressive.

I have some Trickers brogue boots and shoes but they tend to get gentler use than my veldtschoen boots. They are tough though and seem to keep water out reasonably well.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agreed regarding the plain uppers of veldtschoen, the Dornoch is somewhere between a brogue and a traditional veldt shoe.

I have seen best of British items preowned before and they generally look impressive.

I have some Trickers brogue boots and shoes but they tend to get gentler use than my veldtschoen boots. They are tough though and seem to keep water out reasonably well.
My own Trickers are a plain Robert Tramper in Argentine Cordovan and a Trickers Belgrave (Adelaide brogue) in 1001 burnished(tan leather). The Belgrave looks great on its own but there are limitations as to what it can be worn with. By that I mean navy or charcoal suits, though many people ignore that so all your attention is focussed on their (mismatched) shoes. In fairness, the Belgrave does have a hard- wearing channeled leather sole. You will not easily find that at the same price point in other brands.

Last edited:

Meyboom

Reaction score
My own Trickers are a plain Robert Tramper in Argentine Cordovan and a Trickers Belgrave (Adelaide brogue) in 1001 burnished(tan leather). The Belgrave looks great on its own but there are limitations as to what it can be worn with. By that I mean navy or charcoal suits, though many people ignore that so all your attention is focussed on their (mismatched) shoes. In fairness, the Belgrave does have a hard- wearing channeled leather sole. You will not easily find that at the same price point in other brands.
Aha the dark-suit-with-tan-shoes discussion :) I love how it seems to be a big no-no in the UK whereas it's a well loved look in the rest of Europe (it's the go-to choice of women suiting up their husbands overhere). I must admit it's a look I favoured... 10 years ago. Nowadays mid brown or burgundy is the lightest colour I go with when wearing a navy or grey suit.

Meyboom

Reaction score
Cheaney of the day, day 5.

Model: Liverpool
Last: 205
Colour: Mahogany
Sole: single leather

Note: this was my first pair of Cheaney's, they are about 7 years old. Together with a pair of Enzo Bonafes they are my most worn pair of shoes. They are still on the original leather sole but they will need a refurbishment soon because the soles are getting really thin. I really like the patina that has developped over the years.

DSC_0182.JPG

Camerashy

Reaction score
I’m a standard UK10 in most of Cheaney Lasts but today I received a pair of boots with side buckles in a 208 Last and they must be one size too big??

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads