• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheaney

leparrain7

Reaction score
Yeah there’s no substitute for trying on, my experience is different to the guys above. I have the Jarrow boot which is the 12508 last. I took half a size down from all my other GYW dress shoes, from 10.5 to 10 (UK). I don’t have many other boots, but I do have Loake chukkas in 10.5, although I wonder if I could have also sized down in them.

My boots, in Chicago Tan chromexcel. Really happy with them, a great buy.

View attachment 1329683

Also the black ones I tried on instore:

View attachment 1329684
It all depends what you want, narrow or wide. I don’t think Cheaney are narrow even though listed as uk f not g which is traditionally wider. I can only compare from lasts from other makers which I did above. Best thing is to buy from somewhere that accepts returns and have a go that way.
yes thank you, that's what I'm going to do, even if the returns are paying for France
Yeah there’s no substitute for trying on, my experience is different to the guys above. I have the Jarrow boot which is the 12508 last. I took half a size down from all my other GYW dress shoes, from 10.5 to 10 (UK). I don’t have many other boots, but I do have Loake chukkas in 10.5, although I wonder if I could have also sized down in them.

My boots, in Chicago Tan chromexcel. Really happy with them, a great buy.

View attachment 1329683

Also the black ones I tried on instore:

View attachment 1329684
sorry but i didn't quite understand, did you take half a size up or down?

leparrain7

Reaction score
I contacted customer service at Cheaney and here is their response:
« The 12508 is considered one of our most generous lasts, with additional room in the toe box. However, unfortunately I wouldn’t be able to tell you which size to order as some customers stick to their usual size and prefer the fit and others go a half size down as they feel the last is too roomy at their normal size. It would come down to you needing to try a pair on to physically see how the fit is. »

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife's first pair of Cheaney. She wore them as soon as they came out of the box. She is starting to value GYW shoes and understanding why I like them so much.

Cheaney Maisie :

IMG_6095.JPG
IMG_6097.JPG
IMG_6098.JPG

Last edited:

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own a pair of Herring Churchstow boots made by Carlos Santos on their 234 last and I would like to compare it in terms of fitting and sizing with Cheaney 4426 last, used by the Pennine II boots.

I had to downsize from 6.5 to 6 UK with the 234 last to have a good fit as I have narrow and low instep feet, I did the same with my Herring Kirkdale by Cheaney, built with the 175 last. I wonder if I would have to go the same route with the Pennine II.

Last edited:

Cade

Reaction score
I own a pair of Herring Churchstow boots made by Carlos Santos on their 234 last and I would like to compare it in terms of fitting and sizing with Cheaney 4426 last, used by the Pennine II boots.

I had to downsize from 6.5 to 6 UK with the 234 last to have a good fit as I have narrow and low instep feet, I did the same with my Herring Kirkdale by Cheaney, built with the 175 last. I wonder if I would have to go the same route with the Pennine II.
I have both Churchstow and Kirkdale.
The Pennine II has lots of toe room. I went up half a size to accommodate an insole or thicker socks.
It's extremely comfortable after a very short break in period. You might not want to wear the other two again after that.?
Please be aware that it is a G width fitting. BTW, the last is 4436.
Judging from your foot shape, it might be just as roomy with a size 6 UK.
Good luck!

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have both Churchstow and Kirkdale.
The Pennine II has lots of toe room. I went up half a size to accommodate an insole or thicker socks.
It's extremely comfortable after a very short break in period. You might not want to wear the other two again after that.?
Please be aware that it is a G width fitting. BTW, the last is 4436.
Judging from your foot shape, it might be just as roomy with a size 6 UK.
Good luck!
Thank you for your comments and advice.

I don't know if it's common that two different persons have the same shoes, more if they are not very common, but now I realize that in this forum we are in the same boat. Maybe we share some other models...

leparrain7

Reaction score
Hi,
I hesitated on several chukka models, after careful consideration I finally took the Cheaney Garforth EF Rustic Brown chukka on the last 12508 in 8.5 uk since it seemed a little generous
suddenly sizing question in terms of length I really have space, in width I'm a little tight on my strongest feet, but it will soften a little more after a few ports I think ..
color question they seemed lighter on the site, but hey I like this shade and it goes well with what I wear.

Attachments

• AEF0CDB1-741C-4179-9F89-8CE3989EA776.jpeg
    AEF0CDB1-741C-4179-9F89-8CE3989EA776.jpeg
    278.6 KB · Views: 176
  • 6116A4EF-5530-42B0-BC85-F97FC32C06ED.jpeg
    6116A4EF-5530-42B0-BC85-F97FC32C06ED.jpeg
    385.1 KB · Views: 191

Cade

Reaction score
Thank you for your comments and advice.

I don't know if it's common that two different persons have the same shoes, more if they are not very common, but now I realize that in this forum we are in the same boat. Maybe we share some other models...

Don't think it's all that uncommon. I'm mostly casual these days. Cheaney, Trickers, Red wings, etc.
Anything that screams country.? Less maintenance is my goal now.?

leparrain7

Reaction score
the Grafouth chukka after 4 or 5 ports, they are very practical and I really like the color. however, after 4/5 hours they make me suffer on my strong foot, I thought they would spread faster but I was wrong.
E20D91D4-3567-43F8-901E-F3A189644D98.jpeg
0E1B9E14-B170-4AE3-B8D1-E6FD5586430E.jpeg
54F26416-A36F-4F55-84A9-5006D26105CA.jpeg

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trying to keep my brain busy in times of COVID-19 so is Shoeshine Time!! until quarantine lasts.

Brand: Cheaney
Model: Alfred
Supplier: Herrings
Last: 125
Colour: Mocha, darkened with black Kiwi polish
Note: I was looking for a very very dark brown oxford and couldn't find a retailer that could deliver the Church's Consul in ebony to Peru, so I took the leap and purchased the Alfred, a magnific shoe.

IMG_7434.JPG

IMG_7432.JPG
IMG_7433.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7431.JPG
    IMG_7431.JPG
    537.9 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_7431.JPG
    IMG_7431.JPG
    323.8 KB · Views: 87

Camerashy

Reaction score
I’m looking at buying the black Alfred shoe they look really nice

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brand: Herrings
Manufacturer: Cheaney
Model: Edward
Supplier: Herrings
Last: 175
Colour: Black
Note: A nice full brogue oxford, Cheaney is a wonderful brand, the sizing is consistent, the materials and construction flawless. Impecable service by Herrings

IMG_7477.JPG
IMG_7478.JPG
IMG_7479.JPG

IMG_7475.JPG
IMG_7476.JPG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads