• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo, a sustainable leather goods company based out of Vancouver, BC, Canada, making premium, made-to-order, water-repellent leather jackets and gloves. .Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cheaney

te0o

Reaction score
Does anyone know how the 125 last differs from 12508?

I tried on a pair of Jackie chukkas in Cheaney's store today and they fit me relatively okay but I see the Garforth is on sale on the website and they even have my size. Looks a bit wider to me, but if anyone's got experience with both, I'd be really happy to hear.

Isiah Tongue

Reaction score

I tried on a pair of Jackie chukkas in Cheaney's store today and they fit me relatively okay but I see the Garforth is on sale on the website and they even have my size. Looks a bit wider to me, but if anyone's got experience with both, I'd be really happy to hear.
125 last is the Cheaney dress shoe. Classic English rounded toe and we'll fitting. It's based on classic Church's 73 last.

12508 is the Cheaney country last. It's wider in toe box and marginally in the heel to allow for a thicker sock. It is wider than the 125 and is mainly used by Cheaney for their boots and heavy bluchers

Meyboom

Reaction score

12508 is definitely roomier than 125 F widthwise. Im a bit confused by the EF in the name of the Garforth and whether it has something to do with the width. The description mentions F fitting though. At that price I wouldnt hesitate, its a terrific boot and Cheaney uses great suede.

te0o

Reaction score
125 last is the Cheaney dress shoe. Classic English rounded toe and we'll fitting. It's based on classic Church's 73 last.

12508 is the Cheaney country last. It's wider in toe box and marginally in the heel to allow for a thicker sock. It is wider than the 125 and is mainly used by Cheaney for their boots and heavy bluchers
12508 is definitely roomier than 125 F widthwise. Im a bit confused by the EF in the name of the Garforth and whether it has something to do with the width. The description mentions F fitting though. At that price I wouldnt hesitate, its a terrific boot and Cheaney uses great suede.
Thank you both. Probably then the 12508 is not for me then given that 125 was bang on in terms of width.
Something odd I noticed when handling the shoes in the store was that the dark brown suede on the Jackie appeared to be more green than brown.
02AB8507-0CE4-4293-BC52-632DDDBFED3F.jpeg

FB0F174C-6942-49ED-8A94-C1E6BB55CE81.jpeg

Anyone know if this is the norm?

Herring Shoes seem to have an older version of the shoe with pony suede. I saw some photos from years ago in this thread where the pony looks properly dark brown. I’ll ring them tomorrow, hopefully they still have it in stock.

Would be great to hear your impressions of the suede colours.

Meyboom

Reaction score
Thank you both. Probably then the 12508 is not for me then given that 125 was bang on in terms of width.
Something odd I noticed when handling the shoes in the store was that the dark brown suede on the Jackie appeared to be more green than brown.
View attachment 1592534
View attachment 1592535
Anyone know if this is the norm?

Herring Shoes seem to have an older version of the shoe with pony suede. I saw some photos from years ago in this thread where the pony looks properly dark brown. I’ll ring them tomorrow, hopefully they still have it in stock.

Would be great to hear your impressions of the suede colours.
I have a pair of Wilfred in brown suede and that's a very dark, bitter chocolate kind of brown. Definitely different from your photos.
DSC_0066.JPG

Last edited:

te0o

Reaction score
This is very odd as the website clearly says ‘brown suede’:
44E27D0A-6AA0-4A98-B6C3-40E9B6891DCE.jpeg

I had them order another pair from the factory so will report back if I see the same thing.

Mercurio

Reaction score
Those letters are related to the kind of sole used by each model:
  • Model name R means they use Rubber, normally a Dainite sole.
  • Model name EF means the use Extra Flex Leather Sole
  • Model name GL means the use Gum Lite Rubber Sole
  • Model name D means the use Diamond Rubber Sole
  • Model name C means the use Commando Rubber Sole
On the other hand, the Garforth is an F fitting, they have more room in the toe than the 125 and a rounder shape, but it isn't a real wide last. I would say that they are somehow more "casual" than the Jackie, which are more "formal".

I almost forget: don't trust the product image colours in Cheany's web pages: they always appear darker than they are in reality.

Last edited:

te0o

Reaction score
Those letters are related to the kind of sole used by each model:
  • 12508 R means they use Rubber, normally a Dainite sole.
  • 12508 EF means the use Extra Flex Leather Sole
On the other hand, the Garforth is an F fitting, they have more room in the toe than the 125 and a rounder shape, but it isn't a real wide last. I would say that they are somehow more "casual" than the Jackie, which are more "formal".

I almost forget: don't trust the product images colours in Cheany's web pages: they always appear darker than they are in reality.
That's useful, thanks a lot.

What do you guys think of this - Jackie III - Pony Suede?

Not sure exactly what colour this Pony suede might turn out to be. Also looks as though it's an older version of the same shoe, judging by the strap on the back.

Mercurio

Reaction score
That's useful, thanks a lot.

What do you guys think of this - Jackie III - Pony Suede?

Not sure exactly what colour this Pony suede might turn out to be. Also looks as though it's an older version of the same shoe, judging by the strap on the back.
Just to see how much colours can differ from one source to another, these brogues that were on sale in the forum announced as "Pony suede", are totally different from the ones on the Cheaney's or Herring's web pages. My experience with both is that their photos aren't accurate, always too dark.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Styleforum x S.E.H Kelly Balmacaan: Choose the Fabric

• standard 5 — light and dark brown

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • standard 7 — dark brown and charcoal

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • wide 1 — charcoal and blue-grey

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • wide 3 — barley and brown

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • wide 5 — charcoal and dark navy