• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheaney

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any experiences with fur lined Cheaney boots? I am very intrigued by these and am thinking about pulling the proverbial trigger. I live in Chicago, so I know they'll get some use. I just wonder exactly how warm they are and how much that might limit their use.

View attachment 1585668
I have the non fur-lined version of these boots. Try them on first. The laces will be short and lace holes are close together. So putting them on and taking them off will be tiresome. You will need to remove laces completely from the top few holes and then reinsert. You could get extra long laces that wrap around your ankle to avoid this problem. I got lock laces.

The quarters are not very generous if you have even a moderately high instep. So there may be an unsightly gaping from the middle of the lacing up.

Last edited:

Northants bloke

Reaction score
Saturday: Jarrow boots. I am experimenting with x lacing. I am undecided but they go further and tighten quickly
20210402_121035.jpg

Tim Apple

Reaction score
Well, after being on the trees overnight my new Balmoral boots are slightly more comfortable to wear, but still not ideal. I doubt I could do a whole day with them on. Maybe not even a half day. The heel seems 100% perfect and going up in size would probably add significant slip to the wearing experience.

I'm at a loss at what to do. Will they stretch over time to be more comfortable? I have a carpeted basement and can wear them at home without causing damage for a few days. Otherwise I need to just return them and move on.

Thanks for any advice!

Tim Apple

Reaction score
Well, after being on the trees overnight my new Balmoral boots are slightly more comfortable to wear, but still not ideal. I doubt I could do a whole day with them on. Maybe not even a half day. The heel seems 100% perfect and going up in size would probably add significant slip to the wearing experience.

I'm at a loss at what to do. Will they stretch over time to be more comfortable? I have a carpeted basement and can wear them at home without causing damage for a few days. Otherwise I need to just return them and move on.

Thanks for any advice!

I should mention that the tightness is at the very top of my foot, just in front of where the laces end. Super tight there. Heels, totally fine. Toes too.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both feet? They may just not be the right fit for you, but using a shoe stretcher may be an option. It would make them non returnable though.

Tim Apple

Reaction score
Both feet? They may just not be the right fit for you, but using a shoe stretcher may be an option. It would make them non returnable though.

Actually, the right foot is far worse than the left foot. I think the left foot is wearable, but the right one is just much much tighter. They look the exact same size side by side. Not a mismatched pair.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the non fur-lined version of these boots. Try them on first. The laces will be short and lace holes are close together. So putting them on and taking them off will be tiresome. You will need to remove laces completely from the top few holes and then reinsert. You could get extra long laces that wrap around your ankle to avoid this problem. I got lock laces.

The quarters are not very generous if you have even a moderately high instep. So there may be an unsightly gaping from the middle of the lacing up.

Thanks for the info. I wear an E (sometimes EEE) in Allen Edmonds and do have a high arch. I think these might not be for me.

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Not sure I'd have the courage to hand over a $600 pair of boots to be modified, but still interesting.
I wouldn't worry about that I always replace the top eyelets on my boots with speed hooks. I prefer a maximum of 4 eyelets on my boots and the rest speed hooks. Think I have had about 10 pairs modified.

20210402_210407.jpg

Tim Apple

Reaction score
Rockin' my new Balmoral boots today. Fit problem solved! The tongue was not in the right position. I have not worn laced dress shoes in years so forgot that needs adjustment at times. Once fixed they fit like a glove! Supremely comfortable shoes, I am grateful other colors are not in stock! I'd have to buy more.

51096366516_1ea35540e5_c.jpg

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rockin' my new Balmoral boots today. Fit problem solved! The tongue was not in the right position. I have not worn laced dress shoes in years so forgot that needs adjustment at times. Once fixed they fit like a glove! Supremely comfortable shoes, I am grateful other colors are not in stock! I'd have to buy more.

51096366516_1ea35540e5_c.jpg
How did you fix the tongue issue?

Northants bloke

Reaction score
Cheaney dark sage chukka arrival and try on. My size was sold out but I took a gamble to size up half as price was irresistible and I love this colour. Turns out the boots fit pretty well. Surely the toe area is generous but the vamp is quite tight. My feet are not moving at all in them.
View attachment 1589955
Very nice

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics