1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Cheaney

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rabiesinfrance, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Reiver

Reiver Senior Member

Of course, I sometimes forget that Northamptonshire is a county. I have driven past it before on my way to the south coast but have never visited, although I would like to sometime.

I think I’m erring on the side of the Cheaney currently. The AS veldt offerings are nice but I think Cheaney’s grain looks really nice and there is more availability.

I used to prefer the idea of the AS purely on the basis it was actually described as zug grain which seemed more in keeping but I think Zug is a loose definition these days and as mentioned before based on photos the Cheaney leather looks really nice.

I already have zug Rannoch and Trickers Ilkley although the leather differs between the two. So something like a Cairngorm would be a bit different.

2. steezin

steezin Senior Member

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019

3. WilYa

WilYa Senior Member

Bowen owns AS now after saving it from going out of business.
    There is an AS store in Paris.

4. Cade

Cade Member

Seriously not enough love for Cheaney here.
    My Cheaney Tweed boots.
    Stripped and repainted after about 10 months.
    That's how much I love their 12508 last.:)
    First time doing this so it's not perfect.
    These are solid boots!
    Excellent quality and comfort for their price range.
    A big fan for life or until the prices start getting ridiculous.:laugh:

Original
    Cheaney Tweed original.JPG
    Repainted
    Cheaney Tweed Recolored.JPG
    Cheaney Tweed artificial light.JPG
    Cheaney Tweed natural light.JPG
    IMG_4306.JPG

5. BXpress

BXpress Senior Member

Are these Tweed R? Definitely on my list for next fall. Even though your paint job looks great i prefer the reddish brown of Dark Leaf.

6. Cade

Cade Member

Thanks for your comment.
    They are indeed the Tweed R, originally in dark leaf.
    The original color was already gorgeous but I wanted something that would also 'POP' in the evenings so decided to risk this little challenge for myself. Some friends thought it was Cordovan from a distance.
    I stress ' from a distance'. :laugh:
    Cheers!

7. Reiver

Reiver Senior Member

I like them before and after so good either way.

Very nice boots!

8. Cade

Cade Member

Thanks!
    All the boots I've bought from them so far have exceeded my expectations.

9. Northants bloke

Northants bloke Senior Member

I don't need anymore shoes but we happened to be passing Desbirough on Saturday so called into my favourite shop anyway. We got these black suede Chelsea boots (not brown despite the photo). Not their usual range and rejects due to a slight mark on the right foot uppers. Not a problem for me. I like them but I was warned they are narrow. Good so far.

20190407_222350.jpg

10. Meyboom

Meyboom Senior Member

They look a greyish green on my screen :) But nice Chelseas for sure. Do you know which last they are on?

11. Northants bloke

Northants bloke Senior Member

Thanks. It's a phone pic and I had to lighten the picture to capture any details. Not a current last but I was told it is closest to the 125.

12. Aleksejs

Aleksejs Active Member

Guys, quick question, how do quality of Cheaney lined loafers compare to CJ?
    They both share £350-400 price range, and I like both styles, burgundy calf with leather soles.

13. Meyboom

Meyboom Senior Member

In my experience Cheaney and C&J benchgrade are very similar quality wise. You could also have a look at Bodileys London Collection made by Cheaney. I have the penny loafer in both leather and suede and they are great shoes at a reasonable price.

14. Aleksejs

Aleksejs Active Member

I am buying the first loafer, for smart-casual, business-casual occasions. For pretty much any attire where I will wear OCBD/Polo/Chinos/Jeans/Blazer. I usually wear white sneakers or brown wingtip, but now I want a burgundy loafer, an additional flavor. I live in London, so I will have moderately hot summers.

Question regarding fit, I do have slightly wide feet, but after trying Lewisham loafer (208 last) I have to admit it fits like a second skin.

Very snug, strangely enough, space for fingers.
    And 0 space between the top of my feet and shoe leather, so there are 0 creases and bumps. That's something I never experienced before?

Is it the way loafer suppose to fit?

On another side, CJ Boston size 7 is softer fit, with a bit of creasing as leather is not in contact with the top of m feet.

15. AWu

AWu Senior Member

I have the same experience that Cheaney (and Church's as well) lastsis spacious at fingers and can fit well across the vamp with only reasonable creasing.