• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheaney

WillingToLearn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have the Jarrow country derby boot in the dark brown chromexcel leather? Fit thoughts and critique/thoughts welcome
Looking for a weekend boot for wearing with Jean's in the suburbs in the fall and spring, I have a pebble grain for lined boot for cold winter days. Wanting more of a casual, rugged look rather than a sleeker, refined look

Northants bloke

Reaction score
Anyone have the Jarrow country derby boot in the dark brown chromexcel leather?

I think they look great. I currently have King (slightly sleeker) and Pennine (more rugged) and I love both. These would sit nicely between the two. I think the brown in Jarrow works best. For me, they would look too much like army parade boots in black.

smc558

Reaction score
O
Anyone have the Jarrow country derby boot in the dark brown chromexcel leather? Fit thoughts and critique/thoughts welcome
Looking for a weekend boot for wearing with Jean's in the suburbs in the fall and spring, I have a pebble grain for lined boot for cold winter days. Wanting more of a casual, rugged look rather than a sleeker, refined look

Herring Langdale by Cheaney?

Available on the Herring Shoes website. Currently on the 175 and 125 lasts - 175 being discontinued and on sale.

Cooly

Reaction score
Received my first pair of Cheaney's and first pair of real "Chelsea Boots" yesterday. Ordered them last Friday from the US and received them Wednesday (shipping with DHL was incredibly fast - was expecting a 2-3 week shipping time..not 2-3 days).

The Barnes III Pull-Up leather Chelsea Boots with the ItsHide Commando Soles - pretty awesome...very comfy....

IMG_0778.JPG

any special advice on how to care for pull-up leather?

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was a sale on a UK website that was selling the Wilfred in walnut for around $235 before shipping. Pretty decent deal, so I decided to go that route for my BF purchase. I look forward to trying them, but I don't know if the last will be too generous. We'll see.

MassiF

Reaction score
Hello,
it's probably my first post here, please be gentle with me :)
Looking for a nice and comfortable pair of shoes today I walked in a nice Cheaney shop; I've tried a few different pairs and I definitely found something that felt 'good enough', but I need some investigations before committing to an expensive purchase.
I have quite difficult feet: on the Brannock device I was confirmed today I'm a size 8 UK, they have medium width, but really high arch. My right foot is usually fine with any type of shoes: oxfords, derbies, monk etc etc, while the left is more problematic. I have an hot spot on the heel bone, quite high in the ankle, and in the top of the foot. Lacing tightly the shoes usually fix the heel problem (slippage?), but causes a horrible pain on my top foot.
I get problem with most of my shoes except trainers and a few cheap ones. So i want something nice, step up my shoes game a little bit, but at the same I want them to be comfortable.
Back to Cheaney: I started with a pair of nice brown Oxfords (unfortunately I don't the last they are built on...stupid me), size 8 and they felt too big, too much space around. Tried a 7.5UK and felt a bit better but was not comfortable enough on the top foot.
I then tried these: https://www.cheaney.co.uk/mens-c48/...ley-wholecut-oxford-in-conker-calf-leather-p2 on size 7.5, and this time the fir was very very good. Feet seem to have more space vertically and shoes are nicely snug.
These wholecuts are built on the 205 last which is described as:
Closer fitting to the foot, with a slimmer, sleek profile. Slighlty deeper over the instep and through the vamp
I'm not native English speaking, but what 'does deeper over the instep` mean? Does it mean that there's more 'vertical space'?
By the way those shoes are beautiful, an excellent compromise between casual and formal, a shoes that I'd be wearing over and over.
What other shoes (from Cheaney or other manufacturers) would you recommend for my type of foot?

Northants bloke

Reaction score
Hello,
it's probably my first post here, please be gentle with me :)
Looking for a nice and comfortable pair of shoes today I walked in a nice Cheaney shop; I've tried a few different pairs and I definitely found something that felt 'good enough', but I need some investigations before committing to an expensive purchase.
I have quite difficult feet: on the Brannock device I was confirmed today I'm a size 8 UK, they have medium width, but really high arch. My right foot is usually fine with any type of shoes: oxfords, derbies, monk etc etc, while the left is more problematic. I have an hot spot on the heel bone, quite high in the ankle, and in the top of the foot. Lacing tightly the shoes usually fix the heel problem (slippage?), but causes a horrible pain on my top foot.
I get problem with most of my shoes except trainers and a few cheap ones. So i want something nice, step up my shoes game a little bit, but at the same I want them to be comfortable.
Back to Cheaney: I started with a pair of nice brown Oxfords (unfortunately I don't the last they are built on...stupid me), size 8 and they felt too big, too much space around. Tried a 7.5UK and felt a bit better but was not comfortable enough on the top foot.
I then tried these: https://www.cheaney.co.uk/mens-c48/...ley-wholecut-oxford-in-conker-calf-leather-p2 on size 7.5, and this time the fir was very very good. Feet seem to have more space vertically and shoes are nicely snug.
These wholecuts are built on the 205 last which is described as:

I'm not native English speaking, but what 'does deeper over the instep` mean? Does it mean that there's more 'vertical space'?
By the way those shoes are beautiful, an excellent compromise between casual and formal, a shoes that I'd be wearing over and over.
What other shoes (from Cheaney or other manufacturers) would you recommend for my type of foot?

Hey Massif. Welcome. Yes. Long sleek but reasonable vertical space. I've been wearing Cheaney for a while mow. Quite a few options in the 205 fitting. I have Berkeley wholecuts too. 130, 225 and 125 are fairly similar but not quite as long. I occasionally size on on some 205 fittings otherwise stick to my usual size accross a wide variety of styles. They make excellent boots too.

Last edited:

Northants bloke

Reaction score
I've been to the sale in the factory shop today. Lots to choose from. A couple of finds different to what I expected. Not in their regular retail range. More typical of Grensons or Trickers?
Brampton VII G

20181201_201203.jpg

Last edited:

MassiF

Reaction score
130, 225 and 125 are fairly similar but not quite as long
That's great, thanks for adding those options, I'll do some research. The Cambridge Oxford looks like a good choice, it definitely isn't the same Oxford I tried today, so hopefully they will fit like the wholecuts (but the wholecuts are so much nicer!!)
Can you think of other manufacturers with a similar fit?

scottythebody

Reaction score
Received my first pair of Cheaney's and first pair of real "Chelsea Boots" yesterday. Ordered them last Friday from the US and received them Wednesday (shipping with DHL was incredibly fast - was expecting a 2-3 week shipping time..not 2-3 days).

The Barnes III Pull-Up leather Chelsea Boots with the ItsHide Commando Soles - pretty awesome...very comfy....

View attachment 1072524

any special advice on how to care for pull-up leather?

I don't have special advice on the leather, but they look nice. I would just use standard shoe care but maybe make sure you do a lot of good dubbin and whatnot when you do your first "big shine" on those.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads