• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheaney

MJHoo

Reaction score
It’s a winter shoe so, it will be easier to maintain/clean with the coating. It looks the same as the CJ cavalry calf to my eyes.

Corrected grain is good choise for beater shoes -like Docs I like to wear throughout the winter time.
It’s just that corrected grain tends to be less long lasting as the plastic starts to crackle after some time so to me it’s just waste of good calf leather if you coat quality hide with plastic.
And I’m not keen on paying some 350£ for such stuff either if it’ll break down/lose it’s looks in a year or two...

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@JUAN MANUEL ... sorry for the delay and for the crappy quality of the pics: anyway here they are

left: Cheaney Alfred in suede, 10,5UK - last 125 - width G
right: Alfred Sargent (unnamed model), 10,5UK - last 87 - width F
View attachment 1067340

Reverse: left AS (black sole), right Cheaney (tan sole)
View attachment 1067341

As you may see, the width at the ball of the feet (and the most important 'heel to ball' distance) are quite similar in both shoes.
The Cheaneys have a larger heel than AS, and so their waist seems more 'sculpted': in the reality both embrace quite well the arch of my feet (both could be even snugger, but I must blame my high arches rather than the lasts).

I definitely needed a G fit in Cheaney, though, because the normal "F" width would have pinched too much my little toes.

So for my largish feet, the standard AS width is enough, while I have to choose the larger width in Cheaneys.

If you have more questions or need more pics just let me know.
Best wishes! Luigi.

Luigi

Thank you very much, you have been very helpfull. I believe that I have the information needed. My next oxfords will be the Cheaney Alfred in dark brown calf.

best regards.

Isiah Tongue

Reaction score
Corrected grain is good choise for beater shoes -like Docs I like to wear throughout the winter time.
It’s just that corrected grain tends to be less long lasting as the plastic starts to crackle after some time so to me it’s just waste of good calf leather if you coat quality hide with plastic.
And I’m not keen on paying some 350£ for such stuff either if it’ll break down/lose it’s looks in a year or two...

I agree with you. It’s a lot of money for corrected grain.

WilYa

Reaction score
Visited the London sample sale yesterday (until Friday). Massive and quite nice selection this year! Price 99, 125, 150, 175 and 200 (imperial).

Nat Jag

Reaction score
Visited the London sample sale yesterday (until Friday). Massive and quite nice selection this year! Price 99, 125, 150, 175 and 200 (imperial).
what sort of shoe selection do they have there. Am I likely to find a second pair of black oxfords or semi-brogues?

WilYa

Reaction score
what sort of shoe selection do they have there. Am I likely to find a second pair of black oxfords or semi-brogues?
Basically anything (at least on the first day). The selection of this year is overwhelming. I reckon there are 30-60 styles per size.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Juan Manuel's idea, to compare side by side pics of different shoes in order to have a better guess of their fit, is really good.
Maybe there is some Gentleman out there who happens to be a 10,5UK and own both a pair of Cheaneys in 225 last and a pair of Alfred Sargent in 87 or 724 last, and is willing to post a pic of the shoes side by side?
Thank you all. Luigi.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Juan Manuel's idea, to compare side by side pics of different shoes in order to have a better guess of their fit, is really good.
Maybe there is some Gentleman out there who happens to be a 10,5UK and own both a pair of Cheaneys in 225 last and a pair of Alfred Sargent in 87 or 724 last, and is willing to post a pic of the shoes side by side?
Thank you all. Luigi.
Hello Luigi

Unfortunately I don't own Cheaney in 225 last, but I own AS in 87 and Cheaney in 125, this might help, best regards.
WhatsApp Image 2018-11-11 at 11.26.00.jpeg

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you all. Luigi.

225 is much longer than 724.

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice, I wish I lived near a factory shop. How much did they set you back?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads