• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheaney

Seoul Soul

Reaction score
There are quite a few customer reviews on the Cheaney website.

None for the Trafalgar, which seems to be sort of a flagship boot for Cheaney at the moment.
What are your opinions? I love the shape, but I am divided over the glossy leather .
https://www.cheaney.co.uk/mens-c48/...-capped-derby-boot-in-black-calf-leather-p880

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on what you want to use them for. I have a couple of Cheaney boots on last 12508 and it is quite bulky. So I mainly use them as winter beaters and for walking in the woods.
Cheaney doesn't list the colour as high shine so I think the glossy effect is just from the way the pictures are taken.

For every day use I personally would go for a more elegant last, like the field boot made by Carlos Santos

Carlos_Santos_Field_Boot_Black_Calf_02.jpg

Northants bloke

Reaction score
I haven't seen one but they 12508 last is also used in their country boots e.g. Tweed. I have a pair of Liffey boots https://www.cheaney.co.uk/mens-c48/...boot-in-almond-grain-leather-olive-suede-p103

They are proper heavy boots like Trickers. The Trafalgar boots seem based on traditional British army parade boots except lighter and paired with a lightweight vibram sole compared to their more common Itshide Commando sole. It states the finish to be normal black calf (not corrected grain or patent).

Cheaney have plenty of choices in boots. I also have Cheaney Pennine country boots (which find more comfortable) and dressier options including King Derby Boots 130 last - elegant and 2 pairs of Boughton chukkas (from the factory shop not online) in 225 last; one pair dark brown suede, the others in mahogany grain.

Seoul Soul

Reaction score
I couldn't resist the temptation and ordered the Trafalgar. It looked just like nothing else on the market for me, and I don't necessarily need my boot to be formal -- quite the opposite, I like the military edge.

Whether I'll end up returning it and or not (Cheaney has a generous policy), I promise to share some images of this unusual boot :)

Seoul Soul

Reaction score
You were promised images of the Cheaney Trafalgar boots — and here they are.

Sadly, my boots arrived with a rather crude defect: two lace hooks were damaged. That’s why I couldn’t lace the boots up properly and will return them.

As for the model, it’s a heavy duty boot with an industrial look and a wide last. Think of Doc Martens for grown-ups. It requires a specific style of dress to properly pull off.

I’m horrible at taking images, as you will have noticed, but the glossy shine isn’t due poor photography: that’s truly how these boots shine in the sun, given the properties of calf skin.

I’m still interested in buying black leather boots with a military edge, so perhaps I’ll give the Cheney Masham R a try? Either way, the broken lace hooks kinda disappointed me. The quality of the leather itself, on the other hand, was a sight to behold.

BB822849-8BA5-4BF7-A59A-7923E3C48973.jpeg

1D67817D-AA71-45CB-B464-7854B845811E.jpeg

6E61EE57-4700-455F-9759-836253A08DC0.jpeg

229111AA-502E-40C6-9159-D2AA18531D82.jpeg

62D4E5D2-BF32-4CCD-983A-834621DC5B15.jpeg

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice boots!! What kind of damage on the hooks?

Seoul Soul

Reaction score
Here, the upper hook bent in. Similar story on other shoe.

Of course, it could be fixed with a bit of effort and at my own risk, but that’s not what I’d expect from $500 shoes.

A5C9E16C-90C3-4B17-AC5B-4E8E5AE243E0.jpeg

View attachment 1054573

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Seoul Soul I had the same problem on my Alfred Sargent Cambridge, wich I bought online at full price.
It's really nothing to be worried: I inserted a blunt knife between the 'wings' of the hook and carefully and delicately wiggled the blade to pry the hook open - problem solved without the hassle of returning them!

goldielox

Reaction score
I recently snapped up a pair of Trafalgars and I have to say, I love them.

They do have a bit of a new shine to them but it's not a corrected shine. After a good few wears it should dull down nicely. They are comfortable out of the box for me so not much breaking in required.

One of the lace hooks was slightly pushed in but like the guys above, I teased it out a little using a plastic spatula. Really not worth sending them back over.

They're perfect for winter. Sturdy but lighter weight than they look. The sole has a comfortable flex. Bit of a biker/military style, which was exactly what I wanted. Not too formal, but could certainly be dressed up. I'll mostly be wearing them with black jeans. I take a UK11 in nearly all footwear except my Godfrey Chealseas (10.5). I have a narrow/low volume foot so the 10.5 was a perfect fit.

Seoul Soul

Reaction score
@goldielox
I also liked the way the Trafalgar look a lot, but I coulndn't find a practical use for them. The last is too thick to be used as office/smart casual wear, and the shiny calf leather seemed to delicate as for rugged outerwear beater boots.

Isiah Tongue

Reaction score
What’s the difference between calf leather and coaching calf Cheany uses with certain styles?
I’m tempted to get me a pair of Oliver longwings. The coaching calf on them looks nice in photos but can anyone tell what’s the deal with ”coaching”?

https://www.cheaney.co.uk/mens-c48/cheaney-oliver-ii-r-long-wing-brogue-in-burgundy-coaching-calf-p688

Coaching calf is a type of corrected grain. I handled some in the Jermyn St store and you can see the layer of shiny film applied on top of the leather.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads