1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  2. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10 : Sam Hober Tie and Pocket Square sets courtesy of David Hober

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is one of three sets of of Sam Hober Tie and Pocket Square sets courtesy of David Hober. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Cheaney

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rabiesinfrance, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Schweino

Schweino Senior Member

I thought they have stopped the conversion to Euro? When I log into their site I see everything in UK Pounds and their site also states:

EUROPE - Estimated Delivery Time - 3 to 4 working Days - £10.00

You will be billed in GBP

Countries we ship to: Andora, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Germany, Denmark, Canary Islands, Estonia, Spain, Finland, France, Gibralter, Greece, Croatia, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Latvia, Moldova, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugual, Romania, Sweden, Slovenia, Slovakia

Edit:

When adding a pair of shoes to the shopping cart and checking out to my home address in The Netherlands it charges me in Pounds:

Order Summary
    • Sub Total:
      £225.00
    • Delivery:
      £10.00
    • ORDER TOTAL:
      £235.00

2. Luigi_M

Luigi_M Senior Member

@Schweino , I'd be happy to be wrong, but Cheaney official site still gives me prices in € and with their ridiculous conversion rate.
    Maybe they just don't like Italians ...
    Best wishes, Luigi.

3. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Distinguished Member

225 last long, more classic? Pics of any shoes on it? Thanks?

4. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Distinguished Member

Long, high instep and generally a touch narrow. Am traveling, so no photos available.

5. mrjamescost

mrjamescost Distinguished Member

Thank you for starting this thread. I own the Hoggs of Fife Rannoch also (made by Cheaney). I really do like them and am wearing them once or twice a fortnight, especially in these unforgiving months. However, it is a bit of a stretch to compare with Crockett & Jones. C&J have more elegant lasts and a more refined construction. Certainly my Snowdon is, on closer inspection, a more polished boot than the Rannoch. Yes, the Rannoch is zug grain leather, which is more hardy and (presumably) more difficult to work with. However, a zug leather GMTO of Snowdon shows that Crockett & Jones managed to squeeze the boot out in an almost identical condition to the original, as demonstrated by user ‘MSAINT,’ who uploaded many images comparing the two. (Apparently a difficult process, not one the C&J team are eager to repeat on a regular basis.) The downside is they are not cheap, costing over £500 and only available through the GMTO, or MTO if you have around £700-800 to spare. The Rannoch can best be described as a proper old British boot, solid in its construction and minimal frills. The attached image shows the Rannoch shortly after I purchased them (for £210 with discount - down from a ‘RRP’ of £300) and have since been broken in a lot more due to heavy use. Especially good for when I need to walk for several hours in the country, the Rannoch has a happy place in my rotation. :)

Hoggs-Fife-Rannoch.jpg

6. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior Member

Speed hooks on the Rannoch would be a deal breaker for me. I have the Hoggs Veldtschoen shoe - The Roxburgh also in Zug leather. They are fine. I have the Cheaney boots without speed hooks. More of a chore to put on, but a better look as far as I am concerned.

7. mrjamescost

You are best sticking with what you have. I wouldn’t mind knowing how you wear your Roxburgh and for what occasions. I also wouldn’t mind knowing when Cheaney have their sales. If I could get hold of the boot you have for between £200-250, I would definitely consider it in the future. I can see myself having a ‘zug’/veldtschoen collection from different brands.

I decided to take a few more pics of my Rannochs following your comment, to show the speed hooks (I initially hated them and now much prefer them) and how they are looking after a month of reasonably heavy use. I may have worn them around 20 times, but not many people walk quite as hard as I do. :)

Hoggs-Fife-Rannoch-2-months.jpg

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017

8. Kingstonian

Roxburgh gets worn more than the boots. Easy to put on to nip out for a while in bad weather. Gets worn with casual clothes, tweed jackets etc but can even go with a British Warm overcoat as they were officers shoes originally.

My boots were Cheaney for Marks and Spencer ‘Best of British’ range. Same boot rebadged. Cost was £300 but £150 in the winter sale. The laces could be a bit longer but I am now used to the time it takes to put them on.

9. Kingstonian

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017

10. mrjamescost

Yes, I was about to mention that. I should have put it in inverted commas or made the distinction. It has that look, but obviously isn’t it. :)

11. mrjamescost

Perhaps it’s the Marks & Spencer outlets I go to, but I never see this ‘Best of British’ range. It’s all cheap made in Asia. However, I did find a Made in England belt reduced in price several years back. It has proven to be BY FAR my most durable.

12. Kingstonian

It was a one off. They thought they would try premium quality items at higher prices one year. Socks are about all I get in Marks now. The ones with different colour heels and toes are easy to identify as pairs after they come out of the wash.

13. mrjamescost

I bought stilton and smoked salmon the other day, but that’s about it.

14. Isiah Tongue

Isiah Tongue Active Member

Has anyone tried on the Cheaney Mallory boot? I am considering it as a winter boot.

15. JUAN MANUEL

JUAN MANUEL Senior Member

Hello, I have a pair of Mallory bought from Herrings, is a wonderfull boot, it can surely acomodate a winter sock. I am 10.5 UK F in Church's 173, Loake Capital and Cheaney 125 last and use the same size for the Mallory. Good luck.