1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cheaney

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rabiesinfrance, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Nickd

Nickd Senior member

I'm very happy with mine, I think both colours are great, if I didn't already own shoes in Mahogany grain I would have had a hard time choosing. Like Carl I think the the shoe version is a fine choice too, but the boots are a little different in style, which is nice.

Very comfortable from the first wear, the only very minor criticism is that I would have preferred speed hooks for the last three eyelets to make them slightly easier to take on and off.

The leather quality seems really good - I''ve been impressed with Cheaneys leather quality recently, especially the grain.

1 person likes this.
  2. ultramantaro

ultramantaro Senior member

On the T&C page, they did say that non EU prices are VAT free whereas EU countries are VAT inclusive. Here's the problem. Take this nice double buckle listed at 350 GBP: http://www.cheaney.co.uk/collection...double-buckle-boot-in-mocha-calf-leather-p441 but listed as $595 after it geolocated me in the US. The math should work out like:

350 GBP
    " - " 20% VAT
    " * " 1.31 GBP to USD ratio
    = $366

Since Cheaney also states that shipping worldwide is free over 150 GBP, we in the US are basically paying a premium of 62.5% if we are paying $595

That seems like an absurd amount of "taxes and fees" ...

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  3. ShooIn

ShooIn Active Member

Love these from the Imperial range.....[​IMG]

4. Chowkin

Chowkin Senior member

That's ridiculous. Why don't you email them?

BTW, on my PC, the price shown is £310 and clearly stated as ex-VAT. Either they charge a handling fee for taking the VAT off, or differential pricing:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  5. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

They changed terms for US customers some time last year.
    April last year, I ordered from Cheaney and was charged in GBP. They took off VAT and delivered via FedEx. I had to pay 8.5% customs. This was before they raised the duty free amount to $800.
    December last year I ordered and was charged in USD. They shipped DDP via FedEx so no additional taxes.

6. ultramantaro

ultramantaro Senior member

@Chowkin assuming you are being geolocated in Hong Kong the price you see is somewhat accurate (not fully as the VAT deduction is only about 12 %) but you are still paying a more accurate price. Clearly this isn't reflected for US pricing.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  7. Schweino

Schweino Senior member

Same goes for their Euro prices, also way overpriced if you just convert de GBP prices to EUR.

For instance: Their Brixworth Balmoral Boot is 385 UKP and 575 EUR on their site. Converting 385 UKP to EUR comes at about 450 EUR.

I don't have a clue why they are using these conversion tricks but it keeps me away from buying from them.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  8. JUAN MANUEL

JUAN MANUEL Senior member

Thanks Carl and Nickd, they are in my bucket list, and yes, Cheaney is excellent value, I own several shoes made by them (for their own brand and others) and always satisfied.

1 person likes this.
  9. pediwear

pediwear Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Hi ultramantaro

Happy to help on this thread or via private message. We have good stock of the styles we advertise on our website, and there are more due in very soon including some MTOs.

Although I should add that we currently do not stock these I can't resist posting a pic of these Cheaney Spitfires which I purchased for myself. They are based on an older style last which fits wonderfully. I wear these virtually all of the time when not in work attire. I have never had shoes made in goatskin before but the grain looks wonderful with the 'black cherry' finish. You also get some dog tags and a little leaflet explaining the history behind the range...[​IMG]

Great to see this thread becoming more active.

Mike
    Pediwear

3 people like this.
  10. scrwl

scrwl Senior member

It's finally veldtschoen weather here in Finland. The Pennines are perfect for the job.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  11. Louispph

Louispph Member

[​IMG]
    Hi from Hong Kong!!! Viva veldtschoen!

2 people like this.
  12. scrwl

scrwl Senior member

Your shoes look Great! Viva veldtschoen!

13. pediwear

pediwear Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Boots are looking good. We just had our first snow fall of the season, so I hope I will have lots of customers wanting our Cheaney Veldtscheon...

14. Northants bloke

Northants bloke Well-Known Member

Cheaney 'Bristol' bought from their factory shop around 6 months ago. My favourite shoes ever. Real lookers on their 205 last and so comfortable. I understand they were only available from the factory shop and not promoted online. Now discontinued. I've bought a few other pairs of Cheaney shoes lately.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  15. Northants bloke

Cheaney 'Wimbledon' in black I bought 2016 in Cheaney's early summer sale online. I prefer to buy in person but needed these in a hurry for a trip. They are also made from the 205 last. I think they are Sleek but not as comfy as the Bristol. :)

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. scrwl

scrwl Senior member

Aaagh. Bought an another pair of used Pennines today. At least they're the brown grain version instead of an another burgundy pair.

1 person likes this.
  17. Michael81

Michael81 Senior member

I just bought a pair of Orwell B's. They will be my first experience with this brand. Not only were they on sale at Amazon for €170 less than the list price, but I managed to purchase them just as the pound started to re-appreciate. Pretty good timing for once.

I was actually considering the Pennine as well, but I'm not a fan of the commando sole. Good for traction, but I hate spending my day picking pebbles out of my boots. I'll be interested to see if the Brit sole performs better in this regard.

18. Lucido

Lucido Senior member

Cheaney's list prices in € are an absolute scam. Even at the old exchange rate before the sterling dropped in value there is still no way to account for the enormous markups they add to their European pricing. Buy from Amazon or one of the UK dealers like Pediwear or Herring.

1 person likes this.
  19. Michael81

Michael81 Senior member

Yeah, I noticed. I obviously searched for the best price. I paid £295 at Amazon.

1 person likes this.
  20. Northants bloke

Cheaney 'Boughton' chukka boots.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
    3 people like this.