• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheaney Recrafting - A Review

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There seems to be a lack of information regarding the Cheaney recrafting service on here so having just gone through the process I thought I'd leave some information for those who might need it.
Apologies for the pictures, the iPhone isn't a great tool, but its all I have at my office.

So my shoes are a pair of high-shine black monkstraps that have been worn for about 4 years 4 days per week. Purchased when I first arrived at university and needed some shoes for work in retail. Although kept with shoe trees in, they haven't been very well looked after and are firmly into "beater" territory, none the less they are structurally sound and recrafting them was cheaper than a new pair of shoes.

It starts with a call to the Cheaney factory where I asked for instructions regarding destination, cost and details. Cost was £70 including shipping and the time scale was about 5 weeks (they came in dead on the 5 week mark). On the website they ask that you include a cheque in the box, but since cheques stopped being used before I was old enough to get a proper bank account I simply included a letter asking them to call me for credit card details when the time was right. They were more than happy to do this for me.

There were the shoes at the time of being sent away:

As you can see they were long overdue and starting to suffer from neglect. Hey ho, I suppose it just better serves to illustrate the wonders of well made shoes.

These are the shoes I received back this morning:

Good:
New sole, heel and interior heel pads are well put together, very neat and with no visible damage or pigment transfer to the uppers.
True to their word, 5 weeks to the day.
Thorough revitalising polish - makes a difference even on the high-shine leather.
The fit is as good as before, any change in shape has been so minimal that I haven't noticed it.

Bad:
Attention to detail hasn't been flawless; small amounts of the edge dressing has curved round onto the sole.
In some instances the "stamped" Cheaney logo is slightly wonky.
5 weeks is a very long time given the factory is about 1 hour from my house, but I suppose anything that is done by hand will incur delays.

Overall impressions:
I certainly couldn't have picked up a pair of shoes this comfortable for £70, and for a shoe entering their 5th year of service I am more than happy. Would I have had better or quicker service at C&J or some other more expensive brands? I don't think so. There are many horror stories on these boards of recraftings that have been let down by sloppy work, and I honestly don't believe that this has been in any way worse than any other brand.

I will definitely by using and buying Cheaney again, and certainly encourage other Europeans to do the same. For those in America, you will have to judge for yourself whether the postage costs are worth it after exchange rates.

gsugsu

Reaction score
Seems to be good value in extending the life of a workhorse pair of shoes. Very informative. What was the purchase price of the shoes or put another way, what percentage of the purchase price was the redrafting?

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got them on sale at £125 with a stated original price of £225, so approximately 1/3.

I don't tend to look at it that way as the 4 years that have passed means the original price might as well have been a bag of beans for the impact it has; the decision was more a case of what shoes could I buy for £75 that would replace them? Not much shows up so, the recraft happened.

labravajazz

Reaction score
Sounds very good and compare to Church's at £90 + just to resole similar pair 3 years old took several weeks and we returned with cracked uppers around the edge of one shoe where they had resoled , no ther refurbishment done, so they were returned with new soles but in seriously worse condition than when I dropped them in. They claim it was already damaged whethey received it but they absolutely were not, and less than 3 years since new looked after with trees. Buyer beware! Cheaney sounds way better deal

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got them on sale at £125 with a stated original price of £225, so approximately 1/3.
I don't tend to look at it that way as the 4 years that have passed means the original price might as well have been a bag of beans for the impact it has; the decision was more a case of what shoes could I buy for £75 that would replace them? Not much shows up so, the recraft happened.

Perfect rationale for recrafting. The other factor is on the emotional side where your shoes spent the past so many years with you. :)

p.s., recrafting typically runs about 1/3 of the original price of shoes.

There seems to be a lack of information regarding the Cheaney recrafting service on here so having just gone through the process I thought I'd leave some information for those who might need it.
Apologies for the pictures, the iPhone isn't a great tool, but its all I have at my office.
So my shoes are a pair of high-shine black monkstraps that have been worn for about 4 years 4 days per week. Purchased when I first arrived at university and needed some shoes for work in retail. Although kept with shoe trees in, they haven't been very well looked after and are firmly into "beater" territory, none the less they are structurally sound and recrafting them was cheaper than a new pair of shoes.
It starts with a call to the Cheaney factory where I asked for instructions regarding destination, cost and details. Cost was £70 including shipping and the time scale was about 5 weeks (they came in dead on the 5 week mark). On the website they ask that you include a cheque in the box, but since cheques stopped being used before I was old enough to get a proper bank account I simply included a letter asking them to call me for credit card details when the time was right. They were more than happy to do this for me.
There were the shoes at the time of being sent away:

As you can see they were long overdue and starting to suffer from neglect. Hey ho, I suppose it just better serves to illustrate the wonders of well made shoes.
These are the shoes I received back this morning:

Good:
New sole, heel and interior heel pads are well put together, very neat and with no visible damage or pigment transfer to the uppers.
True to their word, 5 weeks to the day.
Thorough revitalising polish - makes a difference even on the high-shine leather.
The fit is as good as before, any change in shape has been so minimal that I haven't noticed it.

Bad:
Attention to detail hasn't been flawless; small amounts of the edge dressing has curved round onto the sole.
In some instances the "stamped" Cheaney logo is slightly wonky.
5 weeks is a very long time given the factory is about 1 hour from my house, but I suppose anything that is done by hand will incur delays.
Overall impressions:
I certainly couldn't have picked up a pair of shoes this comfortable for £70, and for a shoe entering their 5th year of service I am more than happy. Would I have had better or quicker service at C&J or some other more expensive brands? I don't think so. There are many horror stories on these boards of recraftings that have been let down by sloppy work, and I honestly don't believe that this has been in any way worse than any other brand.
I will definitely by using and buying Cheaney again, and certainly encourage other Europeans to do the same. For those in America, you will have to judge for yourself whether the postage costs are worth it after exchange rates.

They probably have an SOP and pipeline of shoes waiting to be recrafted. The end result looks good too!

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent recraft, I do like Cheaney shoes.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They got edge dressing all over a pair of my brogues I sent back - added another two weeks onto the already 6 week re-craft when I pointed it out to the rather embarrassed salesman.

I paid for a higher rate of service on the re-craft, one where the put oak bark soles on and a leather heel - all in all despite the long wait I was happy with them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads