Cheaney leather uppers quality

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SuitedDx, Jan 14, 2012.

1. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Im interested in trying out some Cheaneys since they appear to have revamped their lines. I was wondering if anyone has experience with the Imperial line. More specifically the quality of the leather uppers compared to their othe lines (i.e., Cheaney of England). I know the soles of the Imperial line is obviously made with better quality but I wonder if the uppers are also made of better calf leather.

2. uniesse

uniesse Senior member

There was some conjecture about Cheaney using leather from India of an inferior quality, supposedly to include the Imperial range. I cannot speak to its veracity.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  3. Northampton Novice

Northampton Novice Senior member

Don't believe there is any truth in this. The Cheaney Imperial line is under-rated IMHO, but Cheaney themselves are part responsible for this by not promoting the line successfully.

I own several models including an MTO my only complaint is the fiddle back waist - it is too prominent and almost fin like. Whilst I prefer the AS fiddle, I prefer the aesthetics & leather on my imperials.

4. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

my standard Cheaney shoes have leathers, imho, similar (if perhaps negligibly below) to C&J benchgrades.

all in all, quite nice.

5. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

The only Cheaney shoes that I have are the venerable FS029 that took the forum by storm a year or so ago. I found the leather quality to be excellent for the price range, although definitely not up to par with the likes of C&J. With that said, the leather has held up beautifully, despite the boots being worn often and not being very well taken care of.

6. poincare0

poincare0 Well-Known Member

Cheaney today is a 'buy at your own risk' kind of proposition

they are definitely exploring the bottom of the market with some shoes i have seen- but god knows whether that is a trend affecting all lines

bottom line: dont risk it unless you 'have' to

7. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

This is bollocks unfortunately.

8. Northampton Novice

Agree -the standard line leather is just a small notch below benchgrade and the overall finishing & stitching too. But the price point is significantly lower too. Good value IMHO

Considering the price and quality of the FS029 - which is exclusively made for the Cheaney factory shop, it's a really good investment.

9. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Thanks for all the feedback. Since they are having a sale, I was thinking of trying out a pair. They have a pair from the Imperial line and a couple from the Cheaney of England (CoE) with the same burnish uppers. I know the fiddleback sole and finish demand an upcharge for the Imperial. However, I live in NYC and those soles will be done in about 2 to 3 years which then I would need to re-sole them.

If the CoE leather quality is anywhere near C&J BG, then I might try it out. The difference of 65 pounds at least for me is not enough just for the Imperial sole aesthetics.

10. Northampton Novice

The Imperial line leather upper is of a higher quality than the standard line.

11. poincare0

poincare0 Well-Known Member

why is that so Mr Ich?

How many Cheaney shoes have you handled personally, in say the last 9 months?

I have had the 'pleasure' many times and even purchased 3 pairs and stand by my opinion. (Naturally I made sure I payed the 'right' price)

As for the 'bullocks' I fear you may be referring to your current offerings - unfortunately