• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheaney Ewan

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody have thoughts on these guys, including both quality, appearance of leather, and general fit.

I know the last is a bit fashion forward for most folks here, but I tend to prefer that.

Thanks

CHewan-zoom.jpg

Northampton Novice

Reaction score
Yeah they are a little FF, but overall they are not bad looking, I've handled the model in question.

The leather on these shines up very well and quickly develops a rich patina. But it's quality is mid range at best and as with many Cheaney shoes produced recently, they are more susceptible to drying out - creaming is vital on these.

The construction is generally good, quality quarter tip rubber on the leather heels, Goodyear Welted construction - always made in England with an excellent re-crafting service. Cheaney rely heavily on copious amounts of cork filler in their shoes (which make them comfortable) but coupled with their choice of shanks the shoes can sometimes develop a squeaking noise. If faulty, it will do this from day one and progressively increase - so make sure you check at the beginning.

The fit of this last is on the narrow side and as far as I know typically they don't offer differing widths. The toe box area is an obvious a narrow point and with an elongated vamp the shoes do wear long. In IMHO the heel area is another narrow point but does open up with wear.

Price wise I would not wish to pay more than £140ish for these.

Hope that helps.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
very helpful, thanks.

the going price is about 175 gbp. My next choice up is the C&J selborne, but thats a big step up to 354 gbp

Northampton Novice

Reaction score
The Selbourne is a magnificent shoe and really outclasses Ewan, but unfortunately for you it out prices it too!

If you can take the the hit, you won't regret buying Selbourne.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well, its certainly not prohibitive, but it would be the most expensive shoe in my stash.

I may just have to run to the C&J store in midtown to have a look and make up my mind.

thanks for your help.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
well, its certainly not prohibitive, but it would be the most expensive shoe in my stash.

I may just have to run to the C&J store in midtown to have a look and make up my mind.

thanks for your help.

You might have to get past the medallion on the selbourne.
uhoh.gif
The medallion on this Cheaney is alot more decent.

If you are considering the Selbourne, perhaps take a look also at the C&J Brunswick, it is miles better than either of the above choices.

cj_brun_dbr2.jpg

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
I'll be the first to say they look awful.
If these were posted as $30 Aldo shoes, people would **** all over that (square toed) picture.

interesting.

typically that would be considered the chiseled toe, no?

As for the selborne medallion, the phallic-ness doesn't really bother me.

not in love with brunswick for some reason.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ended up picking up a pair in a 9F from Bodileys for 175gbp shipped.

I'll post pics when they arrive

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to the C&J store.

while I really like the selborne, I just wasn't feeling $580 for shoes right now. The Hallam is nice, but I like the color of the Ewan better.

I also am not a super shoe nerd, so the incremental difference between the bench and hand grades was somewhat lost on me.

tom_s252

Reaction score
I tried on a pair of these recently and really liked them. Very comfortable, and for my money they looked good too. Now all I have to do is find/justify the cash!

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok folks, after a slight bit of wait on the shipping, here are the Ewans. Came nicely packaged from Bodileys, including some complementary polish, which i felt was a nice touch. Quality, while not quite up to the C&Js, is quite good, and no squeaking shank so far as i could tell (thanks northhampton novice). so without further adieu, here they are
IMG_0196.jpg
IMG_0200.jpg
IMG_0202.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads