• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Charvet Ruffled Formal Shirt.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I came across these Charvet formal shirts and surprisingly, liked the ruffled formal shirts. Now, I realize that to some the ruffled shirt is redolent of the '70s and tacky baby-blue tuxedos, but I do believe it can be worn in an elegant if not very Go To Hell manner. In fact, it would look rather swank in a '60s lounge lizard sort of way. I ask: why not? Black-tie is already infused with abortions and pools of overly long pants covering Kenneth Cole-esque "formal shoes" as well as the tackiest of tackiest known as "Creative Black-tie;" why not cut a figure in a well-cut dinner suit and an insouciant ruffled shirt, with perfectly knotted bow tie, of course.
charvet.jpg

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
RJ did some. I prefer the hand-beaded voile formal shirts he sold, which are truly, poetically, beautiful.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
RJ did some. I prefer the hand-beaded voile formal shirts he sold, which are truly, poetically, beautiful.
Gucci also showed some in 2004. I do believe that a more subdued ruffled formal shirt would be an individual statement these days, almost a period piece. I'm reminded of this:
magninmg0.jpg

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I made some ruffled shirt samples for Issac Mizrachi last year.
I havemade ruffled shirts for a couple of customers.
One of my customers wears his ruffled shirt out casually. He claims that he always meets women in this shirt.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
I made some ruffled shirt samples for Issac Mizrachi last year.
I havemade ruffled shirts for a couple of customers.
One of my customers wears his ruffled shirt out casually. He claims that he always meets women in this shirt.

Why would he want to wear the same shirt as the women that he meets?

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Dolce & Gabbana did some last fall where the ruffle was very tiny and small and mainly hidden as it was sewn into the button placket. If you wore it all buttoned up you got just a tiny little peek coming out of the side or if you wore one or two buttons undone at the top you got to see a bit more.

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I actually really like the blue and the white ones. The blue one with a midnight blue tux or the white one with, pardon my craziness, a grey tux???

I am kind of digging these as well. I like the pink shirt for my midnight blue tux.

nmoraitis

Reaction score

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I am kind of digging these as well. I like the pink shirt for my midnight blue tux.
Yes, that salmon one is rather nice.
Originally Posted by edmorel
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
I actually really like the blue and the white ones. The blue one with a midnight blue tux or the white one with, pardon my craziness, a grey tux???

I feel the yellow one might look nice with a dark chocolate brown tuxedo.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I feel the yellow one might look nice with a dark chocolate brown tuxedo.

You express your disdain in creative black tie; but, condone a chocolate brown tuxedo?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
You express your disdain in creative black tie; but, condone a chocolate brown tuxedo?
I reserve my disdain for abortive things like "whimsical" bow-ties and cummerbunds, three-buttoned notch lapels, long ties, and attempts at being punk and contrarian by people who never should have been allowed to wear color. A traditional tuxedo done in deep chocolate brown is tasteful in a non-ubiquitous way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads