• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Charles Tyrwhitt

Tardek

Reaction score
Charles Tyrwhitt are having an 'up to 70% off' sale. What say you gents, are they good price value? I note a thread in 2006, in which people range from "don't buy it" to "wouldn't pay retail". Has the quality changed since then? Clicky de linky Please bear in mind that I need someplace that will deliver to the antipodes.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a few of their slim-fit shirts and they are not bad.

That's a good price - I just ordered a slim-fit french-cuff poplin shirt. Thanks!

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Their shirts are alright at the low retail prices. Their collars are extremely stiff however, be warned.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was a very recent thread where several of us cast aspersions on Tyrwhitt's quality. By my reckoning, it wouldn't be a good value at 100 percent off. But, keep in mind, I'm one of the SF's resident CT haters.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about CT's tailored clothing? Who is it made by? Is it fused?

Tardek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
I have a few of their slim-fit shirts and they are not bad. That's a good price - I just ordered a slim-fit french-cuff poplin shirt. Thanks!
One does what one can! Edit: found this thread at VG's urging. Looks like enough people have had poor service that I might just stick to BB for reasonably-priced shirts.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Compared to the prices that you pay for very ordinary shirts in Australia, Charles Tyrwhitt represent excellent value. I've got three of their shirts, a peacoat and a scarf from them, and all have been fine - no quality control problems at all.

However, as has been noted above, the collars are stiff and the collars and cuffs are fused. The buttons are plastic on the lower-level shirts, too.

If you want to try a different maker, which uses better fabrics and has softer, unfused collars and cuffs, you could pay a little bit more and buy from Harvie and Hudson, as they usually have a "three for UK100" sale on most of the year round. I do find that H&H run a little large, though, so I would recommend sizing down half an inch in the collar.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Personally, I like the ties, nice thick weaves and substantial linings. They seem well made, except that some are made in China, most are UK made though. I actually have a 7 fold CT... but, funny, I counted the folds and there are actually 10!
wow.gif

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
What about CT's tailored clothing? Who is it made by? Is it fused?
Most of their suits feature floating canvas in the description. If it does not say so, I would assume it is fused.

bhall41

Reaction score
I also like many of their ties, although not so many of the ones which have just been released as part of the new season stock.

I actually have a couple of their suits (navy and charcoal herringbone) which I purchased when I was living in London. The suits are fine as workhorse suits. They fit me pretty well. It's quite an English cut - 3 button with roped shoulders. The suit has a floating chest piece but is otherwise fused.

I don't propose purchasing any of their suits in the future as I'm gravitating towards bespoke / MTM.

Hope this helps!

Frogger42

Reaction score
Their slim fit shirts fit me pretty spot on. For $30 a pop, you can't go wrong.

Cordovan

Reaction score
Anyone know who makes there shoes and what their sizing is comparable to?

Thanks

Cordovan

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cordovan
Anyone know who makes there shoes and what their sizing is comparable to? Thanks Cordovan
If you search, you will see this has been answered a few times... They are made by Loake and similarly sized to AE. Most of the leather (unless otherwise specified) is Corrected Grain (or polished, as they call it).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads