1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen focusing on quality mechanical watches proudly made in China.

Charles Tyrwhitt

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by johninla, Jan 5, 2007.

1. johninla

johninla Senior Member

Tyrwhitt is having a big sales. Does anyone know about this company and how is the guality? Some of the prices seem too good to be true. In short, is it good stuff?

2. skalogre

skalogre Distinguished Member

Tyrwhitt is having a big sales. Does anyone know about this company and how is the guality? Some of the prices seem too good to be true. In short, is it good stuff?

In short, depends [​IMG]

But seriously, there has been a thread with a lot of discussions on them. I cannot find it right now for some reason.

3. minimal

minimal Senior Member

I bought a pair of shoes from them on ridiculous sale. They're OK, maybe even a good deal for the sale price, but I regret having done so. They are just "OK" on me & in my style, and I've resigned myself to getting rid of *everything* that I feel that way about.

This is highly personal, though. Others could easily love the shoe I'm just so-so about.

The build quality on them is "OK", and I think that's the general concensus with others here as well.

4. skalogre

I bought a pair of shoes from them on ridiculous sale. They're OK, maybe even a good deal for the sale price, but I regret having done so. They are just "OK" on me & in my style, and I've resigned myself to getting rid of *everything* that I feel that way about.

This is highly personal, though. Others could easily love the shoe I'm just so-so about.

The build quality on them is "OK", and I think that's the general concensus with others here as well.

My impression is that either Loake made for CT are somewhat below 1880 level (even though they are the same model) or there is some quality control issues with CT branded shoes.

5. GreyFlannelMan

GreyFlannelMan Senior Member

TM Lewin offers better value (for shirts; don't know about the shoes), and they also have one of their frequent sales going on right now.

As for CT shoes, those were one of the worst purchases I made in the last two years. They just didn't work for me and now serve as my rainy day shoes...But I know others have had a better experience.

I think more so with shoes than any other type of clothing -- once one has worn higher-end shoes, one immediately notices the deficiencies of cheaper (quality) shoes.

6. chorse123

chorse123 Stylish Dinosaur

I have a pair of the suede brogues, and I have really enjoyed them. They're a little worn out now (after two years of very heavy wear), but at $125, that doesn't bother me much. They're now my kick around shoes, and I'd like to get a new pair sometime.

They are also the only thing I've bought from CT. Even at their standard 50% off, I think their stuff can be overpriced.

7. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Distinguished Member

My only experience is with their shirts - I wore each shirt maybe three times before giving them away. The collars are incredibly stuff and uncomfortable.

8. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

TM Lewin offers better value (for shirts; don't know about the shoes), and they also have one of their frequent sales going on right now.
    +1 - Although the cut is not ideal, the fabrics and construction quality are better. Same for the ties
    As for CT shoes, those were one of the worst purchases I made in the last two years. They just didn't work for me and now serve as my rainy day shoes...
    +1 - I vented several times about the terrible quality of the CT chelsea boots I bought, so I won't go there again

9. skalogre

+1 - Although the cut is not ideal, the fabrics and construction quality are better. Same for the ties

+1 - I vented several times about the terrible quality of the CT chelsea boots I bought, so I won't go there again

I remember. Avoid the grain corrected CT shoes! I also have a pair of plasticky chukka boots I got some time ago - I only wear them if I go out to some club or something where my shoes may get trampled on.

10. Englandmj7

Englandmj7 Senior Member

I concur.....some good some bad. Their chelsea boot's leather quality is appallingly bad. Never tried the clothes but I did get a couple of other pairs of shoes from them on heavy discount that I am happy with.

11. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Distinguished Member

I'll place the dissenting voice about the unhappy Tyrwhitt customers. I actually like my CT shirts, though the cut on the standard shirts is way too full through the body. The slim fit and some the older casual models are among my favorite under-$35/40 shirtings. Keep in mind, I wouldn't pay more than $30-35 for a CT shirt, and, in comparison, I'm much happier with the BOSS Selection shirts that were recently offered at FB for a similar price.

The shoes, as other posters have mentioned, are thoroughly forgettable for retail, or even 50% off retail. I'd rather eat the extra $20-30 and buy the discounted Allen Edmonds off Sierra Trading Post or the Buyind/Selling thread. When the price was closer to $85, they werent a bad option for starter shoes.

Ties are actually decent quality. Worth $20-25 in my opinion.

12. grimslade

grimslade Stylish Dinosaur

I like the few CT shirts I own too. I wouldn't pay full retail for them, of course. But I have a couple of nice seersucker shirts from last summer and two of their silk-linen blend button downs (paid <$30 for each), which are all interesting, different, cool casual shirts. The couple of dress shirts I have aren't bad either; the Sea Island Quality [sic] shirts have held up better than the "Classics." The key is to make them come to you on the price. I'm half convinced that it's part of their business model to slap a high sticker price on things, even if no one pays that, just to convince customers that they're buying a "high end" product on the cheap.

13. skalogre

Ties are actually decent quality. Worth $20-25 in my opinion.

Seriously? I never considered them even though there were some patterns I liked. I need to look at then again it seems! Thanks.

14. grimslade

grimslade Stylish Dinosaur

I own one of their ties, a seven-fold. It is stiff. I like the pattern though.

15. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Lewin ties are better in my experience