• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

charles tyrwhitt

jdldore

Reaction score
For the price, prefer H&H (admittedly slightly -- but only slightly -- more expensive), but CT shirts are just fine. You are not getting Finamore, but neither are you paying that price. Good value and you get to avoid the Pink Hole to boot.

rohde88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mugenpower
I would rather get the TM Lewin than CT for shirts, i know there are people on the forum with different opinions. For one reason, CT's shirt are just to big for my taste, and I think TM Lewin's shirts have a bit better quality, too. I never bought any shoes yet from CT, so I can give any comments on that.

have you worn both CT and TM? How is the sizing between the two brands (specify which cut of each
smile.gif
)

I can try on CT shirts in the states, but then need to order TM Lewin online...

Oleg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mugenpower
I would rather get the TM Lewin than CT for shirts, i know there are people on the forum with different opinions. For one reason, CT's shirt are just to big for my taste, and I think TM Lewin's shirts have a bit better quality, too. I never bought any shoes yet from CT, so I can give any comments on that.

Agreed. I got given a CT shirt: you could have made another one out of the excess material. Thought it was a bit more robust than the TMLs (which I live in) but the cut was sufficiently off for me not to bother with them again. Interested in their slimmer fitted 'tailored' ones though: back in The Smoke next week so may investigate further.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rohde88
have you worn both CT and TM? How is the sizing between the two brands (specify which cut of each
smile.gif
)

I can try on CT shirts in the states, but then need to order TM Lewin online...

The standard slimfit CT's and TML's are pretty similar in sizing IMO

mintyfresh

Reaction score
I would have to say TM's slim's are a tad slimmer than CT's.

The TM Slim luxury quality is nice...the non-luxury quality feels flimsy.

Francisco

Reaction score
CT's shirt is way to big, very low and huge arm hole. Not suitable for smaller build ppl..

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found one of their shirts in a thrift store and it fits perfectly. It's a Medium with barrel cuffs, so I'm assuming it's a slim-fit sports shirt. Seems like you can't go wrong for $30 on sale.

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Shoes: The stylings for the calf line are admittedly not bad at all. The lasts are somewhat blobby in an AE-ish kind of way. However, on 'sale' they are quite a lot cheaper than AEs. Having never owned and worn one, I cannot attest to the quality of the leather over time. In any case, if I desperately needed a shoe, I wouldn't turn my nose up at CT.

Ties: ugly, in the timeless English fashion. No idea of quality.

Owning several pair of CT calf shoes, and several pair of BB Peal shoes, I can say that the Peals seem to have the definite edge quality-wise ... at least in terms of initial quality, as I haven't owned either very long. (The non-calf CT shoes are NOT made in England, and I have avoided those.)

I think their ties used to be better, both in quality and style, but both have suffered of late. Their offerings of the past couple years have not been able to hold a candle to Drake's style-wise (and even the old, good CT ties weren't at the Drake's level by any means ... but of course were less expensive a fair bit too.)

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks everyone for your help and opinions!
i went on the website and like stated above they seem to run a sale almost every day and i picked up some double monk straps to see what they would be like, they said if i didnt like em i could return em. ill keep you guys posted on quality/style/fit

Dutchtiger

Reaction score
I want to revisit this thread because I feel like my original post comes off as unequivocally critical. In general, that's not quite how I feel about the brand. Shoes: The stylings for the calf line are admittedly not bad at all. The lasts are somewhat blobby in an AE-ish kind of way. However, on 'sale' they are quite a lot cheaper than AEs. Having never owned and worn one, I cannot attest to the quality of the leather over time. In any case, if I desperately needed a shoe, I wouldn't turn my nose up at CT. Shirts: If you don't care too much about the quality of your shirts, you can get completely serviceable ones from CT for a song. The non-irons are especially nice in terms of keeping wrinkle-free (and are pleasant against the skin). I don't particularly like the collars, but the spread collars are somewhat better than the points. The measurements are true to size and while the slim fit isn't truly slim, it doesn't billow excessively (and I have an 8" drop). I started my wardrobe with a dozen CT shirts, many of which I still wear regularly. They hold up after washings, and do not shrink if cleaned in cold water and air dried. Ties: ugly, in the timeless English fashion. No idea of quality. Socks: I especially like their wool/nylon blend socks. They are thin, durable, extremely comfortable, wick sweat away and are soft against the skin. Come in navy, charcoal and black. A steal at 3/£12. The striped cottons are nothing special, on the other hand. Cufflinks: meh Outerwear, sport coats, suits, pants, trenches, belts, etc. : nothing special

uh, you just described a great fitting, high quality shirt.

printyra

Reaction score
Speaking of CT, has anyone tried any of their sport coats? They look nice and are on sale. Anyone have anything to say about their sport coats?

trum01

Reaction score
Any opinions on their pants? Fit ... material ..?

Putonghua73

Reaction score
Yup,
Wear one almost every week.
This one.
http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/men's-out...it-blazer?q=gbpdefault||BL038NAV|||||||||||||
Very nice. Nothing bad to say about it at all!

The online selection is vastly superior to their Jermyn street store.

I'm in the market for a navy sports coat, with patch pockets and horn or MOP buttons (not a blazer). Something that is a little smarter without being too formal, for casual wear, and is also functional. So whilst I do like autumnal colours such as bitter chocolates and forest greens / olives, I'll stick to functional for my first sports coat.

Not one single place in and around Piccadilly or Jermyn Street has a decent selection of sports coats in store, with patch pockets. Every single place I visited has hacking pockets or straight pockets. Not one had patch pockets. I tried:
  • Ede & Ravenscroft
  • TM Lewin
  • Charles Tyrwhitt
  • Hackett
  • Cordings

Every single shop informed me that I was likely to find hacking pockets, and not much variety between the odd herringbone tweed and donegal. I looking for a less countrified look for my first sports coat, but I was shocked at the limited selection. I guess that suits are the bread and butter. Thus, I walked away empty-handed - well, not quite, as I popped into John Lewis and bought a luxury tape measure and a clothing repair kit (£5 total) to measure my clothing, and look towards either BS, Ebay or Malford of London for a sports coat. I really like Duchamp's Boiled Twill Jacket but would need to try it on in person. If I was being picky, the patch pockets are too far apart. Also, it isn't functional enough to serve as a first sports coat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads