Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

charles tyrwhitt

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by justinkapur, Mar 22, 2010.

1. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

2. OliverMarcV

OliverMarcV Well-Known Member

Personally I own two of there shirts and i love them. They are very form fitting and comfortable. A very good everyday shirt that doesn't wrinkle easily.

3. laughwithm3

laughwithm3 Senior member

Some of their shoes are made by Loake, decent quality for about $150 - $200

not sure about that particular model though.

shirts are only worth buying when they are on sale for about $30.

4. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

The shoes are not particularly impressive in person, and in my opinion only worth buying when they go down to about 100 pounds during the two end-of-season sales. Though the 'calf leather' range may be made by Loake, I have never had this confirmed by a sales rep, nor by a nail pattern comparison. Not clear whether it's the 1880 line or not, either.

The shirts are... well, they're cheap. The slim fits are still somewhat billowy, but I see they've released a new 'tailored' fit which is supposed to be even slimmer. The collar shapes are fairly ugly, even the spread collar. Cuffs and collars are quite stiff (fused?) which may appeal to some and not others. Each shirt comes with 2 brass collar stiffeners, which is nice. Basically, if you need to build a wardrobe quickly, you can't do better than buying 4 CT shirts for 100 quid, but they're not items you're going to want to keep forever.

5. mco543

mco543 Senior member

I have one Tyrwhitt shirt, the tag says premium and underneath that theres a tag that says limited edition. The fabric is so so and as has been stated the collar and cuffs are poor. The thing i like most about it is the fit. It's incredibly slim fitting (which may be due to someone altering it as i purchased it off eBay). It also has very cheap plastic buttons that are quite flimsy. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Charles-Tyrwhi...15142001r24736 it's this shirt except mine is pink/purple/magenta striped.

6. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Most of their calf shoes are Loake 1880's re-badged (I bought their suede chukkas and they're identical to my calf Loake Kempton's and are marked as 026 last in the same manner). For around £100-130 they're good value and reasonable quality.

Shirt wise I like the fit of their slim fits, but I'm not overly slim [​IMG]

Quality is perfectly adequate for me - very similar to TM Lewin (I couldn't say one was consistently better than the other). For £25 there's nothing to complain about.

In short you're not getting high-end quality, but it's decent well-priced stuff at sale prices.

7. NeverFullyDressed

NeverFullyDressed Senior member

Great selection of colours, ties and shirts are good for the price you pay and the quality of the customer service is second-to-none.

8. Don Carlos

Don Carlos In Time Out

Yeah, the quality isn't going to win awards. But for someone on a budget, CT is a much better bet than many of the entry-level alternatives (Banana, H&M, Zara, JAB, etc.).

9. Geoff Gander

Geoff Gander Senior member

Most of their calf shoes are Loake 1880's re-badged (I bought their suede chukkas and they're identical to my calf Loake Kempton's and are marked as 026 last in the same manner). For around £100-130 they're good value and reasonable quality.

Shirt wise I like the fit of their slim fits, but I'm not overly slim [​IMG]

Quality is perfectly adequate for me - very similar to TM Lewin (I couldn't say one was consistently better than the other). For £25 there's nothing to complain about.

In short you're not getting high-end quality, but it's decent well-priced stuff at sale prices.

Good to know their slim fits aren't overly slim, as more of their product is going in that direction. I've always liked their ties - good value there.

I think most of their shoes are Loake or Barker's. Definitely their spectators are Barkers, judging by what Sausages is selling. Again, not bad quality for £100, but personally I'd try to get C&J Benchgrade seconds for a bit more.

10. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

The shirts run big..even the slimmer ones.....Nice colors though!

11. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

The shirts run big..even the slimmer ones...

+1.
    CT Slim fit is = Brooks Brothers slim fit

They have some quality accessories like belts, ties, gloves,....

12. zizou

zizou Well-Known Member

yea i found their slim shirts to fit billowy as well.

13. mintyfresh

mintyfresh Senior member

Agreed with the slim fit comment.

I tend to favor BB slim's only b/c they have the non-iron line!

CT seems to throw a sale every other day.

14. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

I want to revisit this thread because I feel like my original post comes off as unequivocally critical. In general, that's not quite how I feel about the brand.

Shoes: The stylings for the calf line are admittedly not bad at all. The lasts are somewhat blobby in an AE-ish kind of way. However, on 'sale' they are quite a lot cheaper than AEs. Having never owned and worn one, I cannot attest to the quality of the leather over time. In any case, if I desperately needed a shoe, I wouldn't turn my nose up at CT.

Shirts: If you don't care too much about the quality of your shirts, you can get completely serviceable ones from CT for a song. The non-irons are especially nice in terms of keeping wrinkle-free (and are pleasant against the skin). I don't particularly like the collars, but the spread collars are somewhat better than the points. The measurements are true to size and while the slim fit isn't truly slim, it doesn't billow excessively (and I have an 8" drop). I started my wardrobe with a dozen CT shirts, many of which I still wear regularly. They hold up after washings, and do not shrink if cleaned in cold water and air dried.

Ties: ugly, in the timeless English fashion. No idea of quality.

Socks: I especially like their wool/nylon blend socks. They are thin, durable, extremely comfortable, wick sweat away and are soft against the skin. Come in navy, charcoal and black. A steal at 3/£12. The striped cottons are nothing special, on the other hand.

Cufflinks: meh

Outerwear, sport coats, suits, pants, trenches, belts, etc. : nothing special

15. Mugenpower

Mugenpower Active Member

I would rather get the TM Lewin than CT for shirts, i know there are people on the forum with different opinions. For one reason, CT's shirt are just to big for my taste, and I think TM Lewin's shirts have a bit better quality, too. I never bought any shoes yet from CT, so I can give any comments on that.