• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Charles Tyrwhitt

NeverFullyDressed

Reaction score
I thought I'd start a thread seeing what other people thought of the retailer Charles Tyrwhitt. I have read several threads across these type of sites where their is much positive comment. I myself have shopped with them one and off for 5 years.

I bought a really nice naval style wool coat from them last year for about £150, and it is still just as good today, and actually I appreciate it this weather all the more!

Their ties I really like, the designs are good and they are reasonable for the money offered. Construction is nice and the silks used hardwearing. I have bought ties from TM Lewin before and they are both just as good IMO.

I am thinking of buying a suit from Charles Tyrwhitt as they have some very nice designs. I wouldn't normally buy a suit for the prices they offer, as I often think you get what you pay for. Has anyone on here got a Charles Tyrwhitt suit, and what are your thoughts on their durability and quality?

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple of years ago the quality (of their suits) was pretty poor.

NeverFullyDressed

Reaction score
Yes I've heard that, they seem to have got better. I'm looking at Roderick Charles as well, but don't really know enough about them to be confident. I might buy a CT suit and see how I find it.

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cant say anything about their clothes since I dont own any. But I have 2 boots from them and I've been very pleased.

mink31

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NeverFullyDressed
Yes I've heard that, they seem to have got better. I'm looking at Roderick Charles as well, but don't really know enough about them to be confident. I might buy a CT suit and see how I find it.

I've found them to be quite a good value for the money, especially if you're interested in a Savile Row-style suit (double vents, shaped jacket, working cuffs, etc.).

If you're a 38R, I'm selling a CT suit here.

NeverFullyDressed

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies people, I will have a think! Incidentally, has anyone heard of Josepth Turner? They're a company similar to CT and have nice suits, I might consider these as well. I ordered a padded coat from Joseph Turner recently and was impressed that they had bothered to phone me to let me know it may be delayed, good customer service all round!

http://www.josephturner.co.uk/Joseph...me/default.asp

BareSolid

Reaction score
Has anyone tried their Covert Coat? The Cordings one is rather prohibitively expensive for a mere plebeian like myself.

NeverFullyDressed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BareSolid
Has anyone tried their Covert Coat? The Cordings one is rather prohibitively expensive for a mere plebeian like myself.

No but I have heard with pretty good authority that it is a very well made solid covert coat and, what's more, a pretty good bargain. I have read that the Cordings covert's are now made in Portugal. I have had a coat from Tyrwhitt before and apart from having to get the buttons sewn on a bit more securely, cannot fault it. In fact in its second year of well-worn winter usuage, it's standing up great.

I find Cordings stuff very big and bulky, I bought a medium jumper from there and it was almost like it was square in design, very boxy with arms that you could have put your legs thorugh! Washing it made little change either, just more distortion in shrinkage. I believe Cordings are deisgned for a bigger build, no doubt the rugged outdoor types lol!

I recently paid a bit for a coat from Oliver Brown and it was less impressive than my CT one. Plastic buttons and packed in a cardboard box! Not what I expected!! CT coats are at least sent in a nice suit bag!

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Shirts run big! I bought 2 from the store in NYC and they are big. Looks like the cut and quality of the suits have gotten better. Just not a good fit for me re shirts. Don't have anything else from them.

eml4sker

Reaction score
I own five or six Tyrwhitt shirts. The quality isn't bad, however in retrospect I wish I had gotten made-to-measure shirts instead. The slimfit line isn't slim enough.

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP sure has a lot of information about and experience with CT. I wonder why he has to ask about suits? Yes, I really do wonder why.

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by eml4sker
I own five or six Tyrwhitt shirts. The quality isn't bad, however in retrospect I wish I had gotten made-to-measure shirts instead. The slimfit line isn't slim enough.

Same observation here too. I have a 40" chest, 16" neck and 24" arms - tend to find their "slim-cut" are much too blousy. OK fabric but I won't be ordering from them in the future. For the price I'd rather go with mytailor.com

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There still any active half-off your first order links?

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own around 8 CT shirts, all bought on ridiculous sale (down from their equally ridiculous retail), and really enjoy the fabrics and finish of the shirts.

Certainly, they are not the slimmest shirts, but it's nothing my tailor can't fix for $10 by darting, or that I can't fix by z-folding the shirts under my coat.

I recommend buying them on sale for $35-50, but no more than that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads