1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Charles Tyrwhitt

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Jeff L., Mar 21, 2006.

1. benecios

benecios Senior member

I own 2 pairs of calf leather shoes from CT which I am happy with,but my favourite purchases were the cashmere sweaters at 70% off.These are excellent quality and at 70% off amazing value.

2. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

I'd buy a CT shirt if they had non-iron slim fit. Call me lazy but it sucks to iron, especially when I already own a non-iron shirt.

3. Fabro

Fabro Senior member

CT shirts were a phase for me. Loved the colours, particularily in the checks. The collars always looked good on me. Always bought them heavily discounted when I was travelling to NYC a lot ($45-50US). But then I tried Jantzen and it was all over once I started to appreciate fit in the shoulders and body.

I still wear my CTs for the above reasons, but won't buy another.

4. DandySF

DandySF Senior member

The CT shirt that I have shrank from a 15.5" neck down to a 15". I've just ordered another one but this time it's a 16". The gal on the phone said that they do include a shrinkage allowance, but for me it was just not enough.

I especially like the collar style and the fitted body. I also like their quick turnaround. I missed their 1/2 off sale but did get in on their 1/4 off sale. I can't imagine they sell much at full price, given the frequency of their promotions.

5. NewYorkBuck

NewYorkBuck Senior member

I am slowly moving to CEGOs and H&Ks, but for some time CTs were my workhorse shirts. They have their shortcomings, but they are pretty good bang for the buck when you catch a good sale.

As far as these shortcomings, most have been touched on above, with the two most prominent being tent like and collar shrinkage. The latter has been a real problem with many of mine. I am a 16.5, and I have measured some of their older shirts in my closet at 15.5. I have used Shirtmavens "edge of table" method to stretch them back out, but usually that only works for a half size or so. The ones that have shrunk more either get donated to an smaller friend or Goodwill.

6. visionology

visionology Senior member

Ok, for the same price as a CT 50% off shirt (~$50-70) what is a better easily available shirt alternative in a slim/tailored fit? Not looking for something that will be made and take 6 months like Jantzen, nor a custom fitted shirt. Something that I can wear untucked with jeans or tucked with pants if I so desire. Perhaps solids or subtle stripes.

All I can think of is the Thomas Pink, Hugo Boss, D&G, etc which are all well over $100...

Any ideas appreciated. Was looking for something for my trip in april when I go to the caribbean.

7. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

Why would you not want a custom fitted shirt? Baron shirts take only two weeks' turnaround and run for $39 including shipping.

8. visionology

I think I am more afraid of it not fitting and having to send it back and wait another two weeks Also I have a really hard time visualizing the full shirt from a tiny swatch in a 1"x1" square on a website. I wish there was a photo of a full shirt with each swatch. The stripe cotton is $55+shipping which isn't bad however.

I am lookin at the Baron website anyways, few questions if you don't mind answering, assuming you've ordered from them before.

What is considered a moderately slim or tailored fit, snug or comfortable? I don't want the shirt to be form fitting but I want no blousiness at all and at least a taper on the sides.

Shirt bottom style, is rounded shorter than regular? Would rounded by better for wearing it untucked?

What is a soft shirt collar inlay?

Out of the collar styles which is a traditional point collar? MSCO-5 and MSCO-6 seem to be the closest to me although I can't really see a difference.

Thanks

9. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

The prices include shipping. [​IMG] I can say for the Egyptian cotton that it is fantastic as a finished shirt. Has a slight sheen to it, and is silky smooth. I go with comfortable (about 4-6" more around chest), which is tailored yet comfortable to move around. I wouldn't suggest getting snug (2-3") for obvious reasons. Rounded is basically for shirts not meant for tucking in at all. Basically the bottom hem is straight across instead of curved up at the sides like a normal shirt. That's how it was explained to me, anyways. Soft is basically no fusing in the collar at all, which is good for casual shirt styles as it's more comfortable. Hard has fusing and keeps stiff pretty well even without collar stays, so it's essentially the choice if you're getting a dress shirt. MSCO-5 and 6 have no difference besides their point length. This is a medium spread and is pretty versatile. I think as far as traditional goes, 10 is the best choice. I'd say just go with the best choice for your personal taste and what you'll wear with it. Now, just FYI -- I made some custom specifications for removable collar stays, a split yoke, and gussets at the bottom of the side seams. The last two ended up good, the first one I ended up not needing as I explained earlier about the hard collar. None of these costed anything more. I suggest getting a split yoke, since all the best shirts have them. Gussets aren't necessary if you'll wear it untucked, but they add strength. Hope all this helps.

10. visionology

11. Dapper Dandy

Dapper Dandy Senior member

How does Baron stack up against Jantzen? Obviously the wait time is much better, but what about quality, selection and fit?

12. pgoat

pgoat Senior member

BTW if anyone is considering ordering thru CT's catalog in the US - my wife and I have had tremendous problems getting out stuff....customs snags, etc. I oredeed two shirts (50% off) in early February and they will not be here (as of last report ) till JUNE! Several of our items were backordered or re-shipped so many times they were no longer available.

to their credit the cust servc people have been exceedingly nice and helpful but in the end still no merch, so I will never do that again....I'd buy the shirts at half price in the stores though.

Their neck sizes run small imo, I'd recommend you buy up a half inch.

13. Lino

Lino Senior member

Also, the suits are made in Malta, where the CT cust service assured me they were made in England, like the fabric.

Hey, no cracks about my peeps. Anyway, the sales clerk would have been sort of right if he found a time machine to take you back to pre-indepence Malta, which was once a British dependant.

I have never heard anything about a suit tailoring tradition in Malta, but nearly every woman in my family tree has the occupation listed as seamstress or weaver"”plus Malta lace is some of the best in the world"”Malta suits, I don't know about.

14. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

Why would you not want a custom fitted shirt? Baron shirts take only two weeks' turnaround and run for $39 including shipping.

I noticed on the Baron website that they charge for swatches?

http://www.baronboutique.com/swatch_service.htm

Does anyone else remember the days when custom shirt companies would send out books of swatches for free?

15. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

I do. But they were generally charging a lot more than Baron is. YGWYPF.