1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Charles Tyrwhitt

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Jeff L., Mar 21, 2006.

1. Dapper Dandy

Dapper Dandy Senior member

j, didn't you buy a pair of CT chelsea boots and give them a good once-over with polish? How are those working out for you? And how did they run, size-wise?

2. kcgreg

kcgreg Senior member

I am not at all familiar with Jantzen but as they are based in Hong Kong(I think?) presumable you have to pay for shipping - no? The lowest priced shirts are around USD49.00 and for US clients I think this should be about the price of Jantzen - can somebody please clarify this?

Please forgive my ignorance as I am in New Zealand so I do a lot of converting of currencies to find the best deals around.

3. j

j Senior member Admin

j, didn't you buy a pair of CT chelsea boots and give them a good once-over with polish? How are those working out for you? And how did they run, size-wise?
    Yeah, a little more than a once-over. [​IMG] They run quite big. A CT US11/UK10.5 is closer to a US11.5 than a US11.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ighlight=boots

4. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I am not at all familiar with Jantzen but as they are based in Hong Kong(I think?) presumable you have to pay for shipping - no? The lowest priced shirts are around USD49.00 and for US clients I think this should be about the price of Jantzen - can somebody please clarify this?

Please forgive my ignorance as I am in New Zealand so I do a lot of converting of currencies to find the best deals around.

My last shirt cost about $43, including shipping to the U.S. You might try them, if you don't mind self-measurement (and aren't demanding of customer service).

5. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

Last time I emailed Jantzen, I got no reply back at all. :-/

If I could see CT suits in person, I could judge it, as I now own a suit with full canvassing...

6. billiebob

billiebob Senior member

I didn't buy a CT suit, but tried one on.

The thing was cut very similar to my Polo blue labelsuits. The shoulders were not heavily padded, and it was shaped more than, for example, a Brooksease. So I liked the cut. The chestpiece was fused more stiffly than I've felt in a long time. It would stop bullets.

I am no fabric expert. The fabric (woven in england, apparently) was far, far, below your typical green label Lauren suit. It felt really rough or coarse compared with nearly every other cloth I've ever felt. I would compare it with my Paulo Solari (Mens wearhouse 2001) suit. This was not confined to the nevy solid I tried on; it was the same across the board.

The sleeve length was unalterable due to the working buttons. It was pretty close to where I like it, but still too long. This was just plain annoying.

Also, the suits are made in Malta, where the CT cust service assured me they were made in England, like the fabric.

So, if it fits you for the 350 it costs at 50% off, and you want something really solid, then go for it.

I did, however, snare a Polo blue label suit for $308 shipped (retailing for $1095) off Yoox.com just a couple of months ago. I just love it, so CT is out for me.

I do have a couple of their shirts, which at 50% off are a decent value for me, only because their slim fit fits me very well. Construction quality is laughable, easily blown away by the Costco $14.99 jobbies, which are great quality and decent fabric too.

As for the Loakes, I have 3 pair and love em.

7. kcgreg

kcgreg Senior member

My last shirt cost about $43, including shipping to the U.S. You might try them, if you don't mind self-measurement (and aren't demanding of customer service).

Hey Doc Holliday - How do I get in touch with Jantzen, please?[​IMG]

8. darkoak

darkoak Senior member

I also tried a few CT suits last fall or winter when the NYC Times Square store just opened and agree with billiebob that the fabric is really coarse and the working buttonholes can be annoying if the sleeves aren't of the right length. The cut I thought was rather boxy and not similar to RL blue label suits. The Donald J. Trump suits I tried on at Macys around the same time (purely for market research purposes [​IMG] ) had softer fabrics and trimmer cuts, surprisingly enough.

9. thinman

thinman Senior member

I do apologise for overstating the case - yes you definitely can do better when it comes to shirts. Janine Georgenti has very good shirts if you take a look. Very good shirts.

Follow this link and have a look.

http://www.bestcustomshirt.com/mp.asp?Pg=Fab.asp?Pr=

I tried one shirt from this outfit before I found the forum. It was not made with the fabric I specified, but it's a decent shirt, so I kept it without complaining. I think they outsource overseas and have little real control (this is just speculation).

10. Zubberah

Zubberah Senior member

I'm also surprised at the negativity! For the price, I find the shirts stunning quality (far superior to my crappy Lewins where the collar buckles and folds with ease) and fit me perfectly. Been wearing them for 4 yuears now and no fraying anywhere (especially neck collar) on any of them. Broad range of lovely colours like yellow, lilac, royal purple, a beautiful green, etc.

11. j

j Senior member Admin

I'm also surprised at the negativity! For the price, I find the shirts stunning quality (far superior to my crappy Lewins where the collar buckles and folds with ease) and fit me perfectly. Been wearing them for 4 yuears now and no fraying anywhere (especially neck collar) on any of them. Broad range of lovely colours like yellow, lilac, royal purple, a beautiful green, etc.
    The CT shirt I have, which I found at a thrift store, has very nice fabric, very limp collar/cuffs, and is cut huge. It's a size 16 neck, though the person who had it before probably shrank it down to a 15.5, and the chest (and waist, etc) must be 48"+. The tails are very long.

12. DocHolliday

Hey Doc Holliday - How do I get in touch with Jantzen, please?[​IMG]

www.jantzentailor.com

They're not taking overseas orders at the moment, but will resume shortly. It's a tiny shop in Hong Kong. Once you order, don't expect to hear back. In a month or so, a package will arrive on your doorstep, probably before your card has been charged. If you need help, my advice is to skip the e-mail and call.

There have been tons of Jantzen threads here and at Ask Andy. You might try searching for them for more details, and for reviews of specific fabrics. Good luck!

13. kcgreg

kcgreg Senior member

www.jantzentailor.com

They're not taking overseas orders at the moment, but will resume shortly. It's a tiny shop in Hong Kong. Once you order, don't expect to hear back. In a month or so, a package will arrive on your doorstep, probably before your card has been charged. If you need help, my advice is to skip the e-mail and call.

There have been tons of Jantzen threads here and at Ask Andy. You might try searching for them for more details, and for reviews of specific fabrics. Good luck!

[​IMG] Thanks DocHolliday!!!!

14. kcgreg

kcgreg Senior member

www.jantzentailor.com They're not taking overseas orders at the moment, but will resume shortly. It's a tiny shop in Hong Kong. Once you order, don't expect to hear back. In a month or so, a package will arrive on your doorstep, probably before your card has been charged. If you need help, my advice is to skip the e-mail and call. There have been tons of Jantzen threads here and at Ask Andy. You might try searching for them for more details, and for reviews of specific fabrics. Good luck!
    Hey DocHolliday, Jantzen deals with Italian style shirts and they have a lot of italian fabrics as well - are they really this good and cheap? At USD 43.00 inclusive of shipping???[​IMG] I am really impressed. I'll order several shirts and definitely will give them a try.

15. alflauren

alflauren Senior member

I'm also surprised at the negativity! For the price, I find the shirts stunning quality (far superior to my crappy Lewins where the collar buckles and folds with ease) and fit me perfectly. Been wearing them for 4 yuears now and no fraying anywhere (especially neck collar) on any of them.

Agreed. I can vouch for CT shirts, although the ones that I have purchased in the past year seem to be of better quality than some of the older ones that I have, so some people might want to give them another chance. All of my shirts from CT have held up, but the newer ones seem to be of nicer fabric.

Also, for those who think the CT shirts are cut too big, try the fitted line. Since that line's been available, that's all I've been buying, and I love it. (Yes, the regular line can be very tent-like, similar to but not as bad as the Polo regular-fit dress shirts).

I know that I should probably try Jantzen, but I just don't have the time to screw around with it. With CT, I know the shirt fits, it's of decent quality, and I can easily browse their website and pick out things that will be on my doorstep in two weeks.

I also buy the Brooks Brothers fitted line - those shirts are far more questionable than the CT, but they're also cheaper, and I can get them even faster.

16. DocHolliday

Hey DocHolliday,

Jantzen deals with Italian style shirts and they have a lot of italian fabrics as well - are they really this good and cheap? At USD 43.00 inclusive of shipping???[​IMG]

I am really impressed.

I'll order several shirts and definitely will give them a try.

The fabric quality can be variable. Some are spectacular, a few ... not as nice. Ricky, the proprieter, buys a lot of end runs, I think. I've heard that choosing the slightly more expensive fabrics usually pays dividends. Also, the fabric review threads I mentioned earlier are very helpful. Personally, I've yet to get a bad fabric, but there have been a few complaints about one of the white shirtings. That's the only problem one that springs to mind.

The construction, however, is consistently top notch. The stitching and pattern matching are both on par with vastly more expensive shirts. There was a thread here not long ago where people were asked to identify which shirt was a Jantzen and which was an Oxxford. Some folks guessed the Jantzen because of the superior pattern matching. It's really quite impressive.

Also, Ricky is willing to accomodate just about any request. The world is your oyster at Jantzen. And at the price, you can try all sorts of things and not worry too much if it comes out poorly. You could use your first two Jantzens as test shirts, to work out the kinks, and you'd still come out cheaper than buying a medium-range shirt at a department store.

Good luck. Let us know what you think when your shirts come in.

17. kcgreg

kcgreg Senior member

The fabric quality can be variable. Some are spectacular, a few ... not as nice. Ricky, the proprieter, buys a lot of end runs, I think. I've heard that choosing the slightly more expensive fabrics usually pays dividends. Also, the fabric review threads I mentioned earlier are very helpful. Personally, I've yet to get a bad fabric, but there have been a few complaints about one of the white shirtings. That's the only problem one that springs to mind.

The construction, however, is consistently top notch. The stitching and pattern matching are both on par with vastly more expensive shirts. There was a thread here not long ago where people were asked to identify which shirt was a Jantzen and which was an Oxxford. Some folks guessed the Jantzen because of the superior pattern matching. It's really quite impressive.

Also, Ricky is willing to accomodate just about any request. The world is your oyster at Jantzen. And at the price, you can try all sorts of things and not worry too much if it comes out poorly. You could use your first two Jantzens as test shirts, to work out the kinks, and you'd still come out cheaper than buying a medium-range shirt at a department store.

Good luck. Let us know what you think when your shirts come in.

With concerns about measurements - do I have to give precise measurements and it won't be left to artistic choice involving measurements on the part of the tailor?

Do they measure in cm's or inches? They should be measuring in cm's seeing that they once belonged to the commonwealth.

18. DocHolliday

With concerns about measurements - do I have to give precise measurements and it won't be left to artistic choice involving measurements on the part of the tailor?

Do they measure in cm's or inches? They should be measuring in cm's seeing that they once belonged to the commonwealth.

I'd suggest giving precise measurements, then being as specific as you can about how you want the shirt to fit. I didn't fudge any of my measurements, but specified the length I like my sleeves, etc. (Requested a bit extra sleeve length with a close-fitting cuff, and that was one of the smarter things I did.) I also sent the measurements of a well-fitting shirt. I only had to tweak my second shirt slightly, mostly because I forgot to include a hip measurement the first time.

I sent my measurements as inches, I think, but Ricky might work in cms too. I can't say. Seems like Ricky can do most anything.

I've become quite the acolyte, haven't I?

19. j

j Senior member Admin

Tips for Jantzen: The sleeves are usually too short at first, and the armholes (and therefore, the upper sleeve circumference) are usually too big. Request armholes to be made tighter than normal.

20. kcgreg

kcgreg Senior member

Indeed - quite the acolyte - were you tonsured?