1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Charles Tyrwhitt - Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by agp, Jul 15, 2011.

1. agp

agp Senior member

Ahh.... that's too long. I need these shirts soon.

2. GBR

GBR Senior member

Where are you?

3. agp

agp Senior member

I live in New Jersey. I ordered 3 Paul Frederick shirts this morning. PF is located in the US so hopefully I'll get them by Thursday. But for now I have a few shirts in my closet that will hold me till then.

4. pitboss12

pitboss12 Senior member

CT has 2 stores in NYC if you really need one of their shirts.

5. yoohoo

yoohoo Member

+1

6. Herky210

Herky210 Member

Forgive the ignorant question, but why is "fused" important? Longer shirt life?
    I take it that TM Lewin and Harvie & Hudson are not as mass market (cheaply made) as CT. Well, I ordered 3 CT shirts last week from their summer online sale. All slim fit, wrinkle-free - so I hope they at fit better than some have said here on the forum.

7. Rohit Agrawal

Rohit Agrawal Member

those are for Fat and Happy types...not for me. Pink, BB, HK and HH are also not appetizing to me on their website. Sticking to TML and CT for now

8. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

Interestingly since I wrote that (and failed to answer the question apparently) I have worked with CT consulting on their tailoring.

The reason fusing in collars and cuffs is pertinent is because it makes for a much stiffer cuff and collar. The way the shirt ages changes, while an un fused cuff will soften and eventually lose all shape (becoming like an old pair of jeans; soft, relaxed but not smart) a fused cuff will remain reasonably firm up to the end of its life.

There is one aspect that is never mentioned in these threads but I now believe is important; CT is still owned and run by the man who started it. Having met him and grilled him extensively on decisions relating to the tailoring lines one thing is clear; his name, and the names of his children is sewn onto every garment and he is unwilling to compromise the integrity of that.

Some people may not like the fabrics he chooses, many complain that the poplin is too light weight, but ultimately I feel that if I am to give £100 to a corporation, I'd rather give it to him than the investment corporation that now owns T M. Lewin.

Obviously that point is utterly intangible and one everyone makes according to how important they feel the issue is, but given that the price, quality and style of shirts is roughly equal between CT and TML I use that to tip the scales CTs direction.

1 person likes this.
  9. SuitMyself

SuitMyself Senior member

+10

10. mfridman

mfridman Well-Known Member

How do collars of TML and CT compare in terms of their height?

I've read somewhere that CT shirts have somewhat "short" collars.

I have about 15 TML shirts and am generally satisfied with their quality and fit. One thing that I don't like, however, is that TML offers too few options with button cuffs.

I was going to order a testing batch of 5 shirts from CT but am afraid of their collars indeed being shorter than TML's. Having a rather large frame I would look silly with a "short" or a "slim" collar.

11. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

I've never noticed a difference to be fair. Don't forget they have a 6 month return policy, you can order them and if you don't like them, just return for a refund.

2 people like this.
  12. Rohit Agrawal

Rohit Agrawal Member

So I have now worn my 5 CT shirts and my 4 TML shirts and I bought another CT because they gave me a $20 coupon and 4 TML shirts. For a skinny guy the CT cuffs are a bit big even on the smaller sizes. On TML I have a perfect fit until wash when collars shrink so I am ordering 2 sizes larger now on the collar. On the fused vs non fused debate I think it depends on each person what they like and I am indifferent unless forced to pick. From a fit and proportion standpoint I am going with TML for my frame. For a not skinny guy I think CT would be better...TML is such a great fit for me that I don't think an average or heavy guy my height would enjoy them but they are great for me. I like them both but going with TML for better fit (the CT also feels more mass produced than TML) . Having said that, for the price range both are great and you have to try them and develop a preference. Even if it is marginal

1 person likes this.