• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Charles Tyrwhitt waxy leather?

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
j mentioned in another thread that the current CT chelseas (and chukkas, which I had been looking at) have been changed and no longer come in smooth, polishable leather, and that the waxy brown leather named on the page is more like a beeswax finished leather. What happened to the polishable leather ones? Do any of you have any experience with these? I'm curious what they actually look like, what the quality is like, how one is supposed to care for them, whether or not I should still be thinking about those chukkas, etc. Admittedly, I'd been holding off because I don't want leather soles, and I don't know of any good places that could put some good rubber soles on (locally, anyway; I did find some resoling places online, though I have no idea about the quality of their work). Links for reference.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of harness boots that are waxy leather I quite like them. It gives them a rugged look. But, that may not be what you're looking for in a dressier boot.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not worried at all about them not looking dressy. I just don't know much about the material to begin with.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
j mentioned in another thread that the current CT chelseas (and chukkas, which I had been looking at) have been changed and no longer come in smooth, polishable leather, and that the waxy brown leather named on the page is more like a beeswax finished leather. What happened to the polishable leather ones?

The reviews of the polishable black ones were uniformly terrible. Maybe Tyrwhitt recognized there was a problem? Or maybe they just like to rotate stock once stuff sells out?

While I can't speak to the quality of the new-and-improved Chelseas, my experiences with Tyrwhitt shoes in general prompts me to suggest R.M. Williams instead. They're a world apart in quality, but not so much in price.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Why don't you want leather soles?

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
The reviews of the polishable black ones were uniformly terrible. Maybe Tyrwhitt recognized there was a problem? Or maybe they just like to rotate stock once stuff sells out?

While I can't speak to the quality of the new-and-improved Chelseas, my experiences with Tyrwhitt shoes in general prompts me to suggest R.M. Williams instead. They're a world apart in quality, but not so much in price.

I read through the RMW thread yesterday and am now thinking about a pair of chelseas, but I have to admit a certain fondness for the Loake shape. I'm mainly thinking about the chukkas, here, though; the RMW examples in that regard didn't look that great, even if I'm sure they're far better constructed.
Originally Posted by Jovan
Why don't you want leather soles?
Because they're useless, basically. I probably shouldn't say that around here.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
?! My CTs, C&Js and EG leather soles are great in rain and dry. It's only in rare situations where they don't provide acceptable traction, and in fact, they perform better than my soccer shoes most of the time.

Plus, you get the authoritative clomp.

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of the waxy chelsea's, and have been wearing them for a year now. I love the leather. As mentioned, it's a little bit more rugged in appearance, but it actually still takes a pretty darn ggod shine and the leather has antiqued itself over the last year to the point where they look quite interesting.

joseanes

Reaction score
How do you take care of them? (polish? just brush? Some kind of wax?)

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
?! My CTs, C&Js and EG leather soles are great in rain and dry. It's only in rare situations where they don't provide acceptable traction, and in fact, they perform better than my soccer shoes most of the time.

Plus, you get the authoritative clomp.

The clomp is good
smile.gif

Arethusa, you no like it the Clomp?

raley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday

For what they are, they are nice. I mean, when you buy a 150$ pair of chelsea boots you shouldn't go in expecting Lobb.

They work very well for the use that I want from them, which is wearing out to clubs with jeans. Dressy enough to get in anywhere, casual and comfortable enough to run around and dance in, and cheap enough not to care.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads