1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Charles tyrwhitt vs. tm lewin

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Fanthom, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Fanthom

Fanthom Well-Known Member

Hi.

Although neither is comparable to e.g. T&A, one can get shirts from both Tyrwhitt and Lewin while parting with very little money. I (think I) know that both are fabric made outside England, and (from a previous discussion on this board) that Tyrwhitt has double stiching and plastic buttons (the sea iland cotton shirts have MOP). Does every Tyrwhitt shirt come with brass collar stays?

Any thoughts on a comparison between Tyrwhitt and Lewin regarding 1) quality and/or 2) cut (full/slim fit)?

Marcus

2. Stu

Stu Senior member

I don't know about Lewin, but I love Tyrwhitt, at least the Sea Island cotton shirts. When they are on sale, you can puck them up for less than $80 which is a good deal IMHO. I think they all come with brass collar stays, except for their casual shirts.

3. Fanthom

Fanthom Well-Known Member

Thanks for the information, Stu. Yes, it is the sea iland cotton ones which are interesting. Could you compare the cut (slim/full) of Tyrwhitt compared to e.g. Thomas Pink?

One advantage of Lewin's shirts is that they come in 4 different lengths (while Tyrwhitt shortens for £5).

Marcus

4. Stu

Stu Senior member

I don't know about Pink, because I don't own one and have never tried one on. But CT is not particularly slim-fitting. Nor would I describe it as a full cut. I am 5'10" 185 -190 lbs. and I buy a 16 x 34 from CT and they fit wonderfully. A couple of them I've shortened the sleeves a tad, but I love the fit across the chest and stomach. It does have long tails, which keep the shirt in place well. Hope that helps.