• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Charles Tyrwhitt suits

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the quality of CT suits? This sale on right now has got me interested in a navy linen suit for $185 which I would normally not really consider, but for the price. It supposedly has a "Woven chest canvas to maintain shape". Is this a canvassed suit, or a fancy way of saying fused? Any input or experiences with these would be appreciated.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for $185 you should order one. return it if you don't like it.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I asked over email and they gave me a very vague answer that I can't even remember now.

new obsession

Reaction score
Originally Posted by denning
What is the quality of CT suits? This sale on right now has got me interested in a navy linen suit for $185 which I would normally not really consider, but for the price. It supposedly has a "Woven chest canvas to maintain shape". Is this a canvassed suit, or a fancy way of saying fused? Any input or experiences with these would be appreciated.

The suits are generally fused, the linen may be different, but I doubt it. FYI: I tried one on in the store and it seemed to have a strange cut. Different from their other suits (of course it was a 2 button as opposed to 3) but somehow the balance seemed off. I would love to hear your opinion after you try one.

LegB4Wicket

Reaction score
Along with shoes, my Tyrwhitt suit from the (in) famous $100 off sale arrived today. I ordered the navy birdseye fabric along with the matching trousers. http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/productMSJ...20Wool%20Suits

Total cost $170 plus $12 shipping.

Here are my first impressions:

The fabric is quite soft, not coarse like others have stated. It has a nice feel to it and I very much like the fabric's colour. Quite versatile.

I'm pretty sure the chest is canvassed. It feels that way. The rest of the body is fused but I'm not too fussy about this as I have never had a problem with this and you cannot find a fully canvassed suit for much under $1,000 anyway.

The patterns match up nicely and the stitching on the buttons is tight. I can't find any loose threads.

It's more of a fitted cut and in no way resembles a sack. Something I very much like. Also it has a low rise in the seat. Again a big plus in my books.

As for comparisons, the quality is better than my Arnold Brant and Hugo Boss, on par with my DAKS' but not my Samuelsohn's, Gieves and Hawkes, Canali and Chester Barrie suits, jackets and trousers.

Unfortunately it does come with surgeon's cuffs but luckily for me the button position is quite high and I will be able to have the sleeves shortened by 3/4 of an inch to fit my arm length.

The label states it was made in the Czech Republic and was shipped via Switzerland.

For $170 it is a bargain and I would be more than willing pay up to $500 for a suit from Tyrwhitt again.

After a quick trip to the tailor's for a quick trouser hemming and adjustment in the waist and the aforementioned sleeve shortening, I will soon be strolling the streets of Victoria in a well-made and good looking suit.

Regards,

LBW

GreyFlannelMan

Reaction score
It sounds as if CT have changed manufacturers. Glad to hear that the fabric is softer. I purchased one of their suits in the first few months that they were on offer. The fabric is fairly rough, and I saw in the NYC stores that they were labelled as "Made in Malta." The construction has not been an issue.

There has been some debate about whether they are canvassed; I think they say that they have a "floating canvas chestpiece," language that is perhaps intentionally vague.

mink31

Reaction score
Is their 50% off deal still going on? Even though the sale 3 weeks ago is over, it seems that the suits at half-off are worth a try.

new obsession

Reaction score
I too purchased one of their suits when they first came out. From the "Malta" line, I was pleased, if not impressed, for 50% off. The cut was slimmer than I was used to and I was therefore able to get it tailored to fit pretty well without as much effort as many of my Hickey Freemans and such. I have, however, relegated it to a winter suit, as it is fairly heavy.

I also just picked up a cream cotton which is now at the shop for some alterations. This one I am pretty impressed with. For $185, I am thrilled. Granted I needed to get the sleeves and body done, but that is a cost of doing business with OTR. In the store the cotton coat felt stiff and heavy, out of the box, it was much lighter and not as stiff. Chalk it up to maufacturing differences?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads