• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Charles Tyrwhitt Suits (working cuff buttons?)

Sartorially Challenged

Reaction score
I know that the current season's Charles Tyrwhitt suit jackets all have working cuff buttons, making it difficult, perhaps impossible to alter the cuff lengths.

Was that the case with previous season jackets as well?

I would appreciate a response from anyone who bought a CT suit/sports coat jacket in the past.

Reaction score
The sleeve length can be altered by a good tailor (from the other end) - the sleeves will need removing and re-sewing once some of the length has been removed. Not the most interesting job for a tailor, but a good one should find this no problem if you pay him enough.

Sartorially Challenged

Reaction score
but a good one should find this no problem if you pay him enough.
Does this mean it will be considerable more expensive than the usual cuff-shortening job?

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I've not seen a CT suit, so I don't know if this applies to them, but on a lot of the suit/sport coats I see with pre-done working button holes, there is more distance than there ought to be between the first button and the end of the sleeve. In other words, there's enough length for a little bit of shortening. If you need quite a bit of shortening then from the shoulder is your only option, of course.

mink31

Reaction score
It is possible to shorten the sleeves from the cuff. My tailor cut a strip of cloth between the two bottom buttonholes (inside the sleeve), shortened the sleeve by the width of the strip by sewing together the two cut ends, and made a new buttonhole. The only evidence of sleeve-shortening is visible on the inside of the sleeve (it's just a new seam and new buttonhole).

Lino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
It's $60 here in NYC at Wilfred's, $95 at Bhambi's.

I've been using Bhambi, but I have been seeing Wilfred seems to run quite a bit cheaper.

Ed"”or anyone else"”which of the two would you trust to do such surgery to a Kiton odd jacket?

Beyond this alteration"”how do you compare both shops in general? As someone still learning the sartorial ropes, I needed a tailor who could deliver a good fit with little instruction and reviews I saw about Wilfred mentioned that they do great work if you know what you want"”whould you say this choise makes sense based on your experience?

Sartorially Challenged

Reaction score
Thank you for all the responses. I am thinking about buying CT's linen suits from the summer clearance. They are probably not the best quality, but at $185 after the discounts (jacket and trousers), likely serviceable and good value.

I just didn't know whether they came with working buttonholes (the current season's jackets do).

Nonk

Reaction score
Last seasons Tyrwhitt suits also had working cuffs from what I saw in the shop if that is any help.

PS Challenged, also have a look at Pakeman Catto & Carter for summer suits. They are well made, of a very traditionally British cut and are (while more expensive than CT from memory) good value in a sale. They do not seem to have a sale on now, as they have just released their new collection, but I seem to remember there being one on around October last year and I got mine for approx £150.

The silk is the one to go for.

Sartorially Challenged

Reaction score
I will look into PC&C, but 150 quids come out to 270 bucks w/o fees. I guess $85 difference is minimal in the long run, however.

Thank you.

LegB4Wicket

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorially Challenged
I know that the current season's Charles Tyrwhitt suit jackets all have working cuff buttons, making it difficult, perhaps impossible to alter the cuff lengths.

Was that the case with previous season jackets as well?

I would appreciate a response from anyone who bought a CT suit/sports coat jacket in the past.

I puchased a Tyrwhitt suit a couple of months ago during their end of season sale and it did have working buttonholes (sugeron's cuffs).

Luckily, the sleeves only needed shortening a smidgen and this was accomplised from the cuffs.

I'm very pleased with the suit and for $175 shipped, it was a great deal.

Regards,

LBW

nmoraitis

Reaction score
I was interested in getting that new CT Navy Blazer and I contacted customer service to see if they could give me the length of the sleeves for a 38" Regular. They said they would try to find out and get back to me, but maybe someone here can provide me with this information. It would be much appreciated. Stupid workable buttons have to mess everything up!!
confused.gif

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
It's $60 here in NYC at Wilfred's, $95 at Bhambi's.
Which would be roughly 30% or 50% of the total purchase price of the suit . . .

uroverdrive

Reaction score
Resurrecting this thread, does the fact that these suits have working cuff buttons prevent adjustments to lengthen the sleeves?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads