1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Charles Tyrwhitt Sportcoats

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dieselman89, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

For me T M Lewin is better; the shirts are cheaper and the collar adn cuffs aren't fused as they are in CT. Although it doesn't make a very big difference initially, by the time the shirts are 5 years old (as a few of mine are) the difference is marked. I can put my oldest TML shirts next to brand new ones and the difference is almost invisible. The same cannot be said for CT which seem to be knackered after about 2 years.

My ranking would be:

Suits:
    1. T M Lewin
    2. CT

Sports coats and casual:
    1. CT
    2. TML

Shirts:
    1.T M L
    2. CT

2. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Does tm lewin have a physical store in the us?

3. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Also, what do you think of their ties?

4. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

I don't know about Stores in the US, as I'm a UK chap.

Ties are tough; the difference between the two brands is negligible, but I always seem to find a couple of patterns that I like in TML but never in CT. I'm certain that its mostly down to chance, but I certainly wouldn't hesitate to buy a CT tie if I saw one that I liked. I'm sure that without the labels, you wouldn't be able to discern a difference between the two brands.

I would stay away from their "7 Fold" ties, which are crazy expensive given that they are made in the same factories as the normal ties. Also consider avoiding the CT Sea Island Cotton shirts, as the price rises disproportionately to the quality.

5. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

I am on the fence about buying a tailored fit CT navy sportcoat. It is $329, so considerably cheaper than anything else out there that is half-canvassed. My next sportcoat purchase was going to be some kind of flannel, but this one is textured to a degree (sort of a hopsack/pique).

I believe this is the one:
    http://www.ctshirts.com/men's-outer...er?q=usddefault||BL038NAV|||||||||||||&ppp=22

But there seems to be much more texture in-person. Does anyone have this jacket who can comment on its versatility and quality?

6. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

I believe that I own that jacket, and I love it. It is rather textured in a hopsack/basketweave, but it's still quite versatile. By the way, check the clearance section; they have what appears to be the same sportcoat on sale for $179.

7. Mr Engineer

Mr Engineer Senior member

Im eyeing this sportscoat myself

8. mdhauser

mdhauser Member

I just received what I think is last year's version of the navy tailored fit blazer, which is $189:
    http://www.ctshirts.com/Sale/men's-...it-blazer?q=usddefault||BL032NAV|||||||||||||

It's a pretty solid product. The fabric had a lot more texture than I expected (pictures on the CT website are mostly useless), but the fit is great, measurements are correct, and the weight is on the lighter side. The shoulders are definitely less pronounced than the classic fit, which is nice. Buttons have a plasticky look to them, even if they're advertised as corzo. I'm very happy with the coat, particularly at the $189 price.

If you link thru http://www.retailmenot.com/view/ctshirts.com?c=4617323, click on the first entry, 7% off plus free shipping, which then takes you to the CT site and activates the free shipping, but then use the other
    tyr23b
    code listed on retailmenot for a 10% discount instead of the 7% from the link.

9. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

what gives you the impression that this is half canvassed.

as far as I know, only the black label and luxury lines are half canvassed.

10. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

also, for those not aware, if you order off the UK site, its 179gbp or $273. Shipping is a bit more, but no where close to making up the savings.

11. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Just purchased two unstructured CT cotton sport coats (one stone and one blue) on the UK website for 160GBP plus shipping. I figured why not for the price, especially since CT has a pretty good return policy on their merchandise. I will post an update once they arrive.

12. archibaldleach

Their unstructured cotton sport coats appear to have patch pockets. I think that's it, however.

13. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

It probably isn't. I'm not sure why I thought it was.

14. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

As a general rule anything with functional buttonholes is also half canvassed. I'm not sure specific lines are made that way, but they don't tend to put one expensive feature on and leave another off.

15. archibaldleach

This is probably generally true, but in my experience some companies put in working buttonholes because they give a suit or odd jacket a more expensive feel to the uninformed public without a massive increase in costs.

16. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

I think everything they have has functional buttonholes. I believe the way to tell if an item is half-canvassed is in the description on the website. It usually reads "floating cavass chest piece" or something along those lines. I know I have a jacket that is not described this way but does have functional button holes.

17. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

that may be for other companies, but not for CT.

unfortunately thats not true either. The suits that are half canvas are described as below:

http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/men's-sui...ury-suit-?q=gbpdefault||EBA07NAV|||||||||||||

18. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

Someone mentioned Suit Supply earlier in this thread. I've looked at both SS and CT suits pretty closely (and own two Black Label CT's) and it seems to me that the construction is damn near identical. SS tends to have more interesting fabrics and a wider selection, but I wonder if they source from the same manufacturer?

Oh, and I agree with the general consensus here that CT is good (not great) quality + great pricing = good value.

19. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

Maybe it has changed since I worked for them, but when I was around it was a case of "done well" or "done cheap". For example none of the English tweed was produced without a half-canvas.

20. Mr Engineer

Mr Engineer Senior member

Hopefully SS and CT have similar comparison to their sportscoats. I have a couple of SS sportscoat that fit great. I do not own an CT sportscoat but I have my eye on one online.