• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Charles Tyrwhitt shoes quality - worth $125-$135

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Just curious, what are you comparing CTs at $135 to? I know you have a lot of really nice shoes, and it's not really fair to compare CTs to those shoes. On the other hand, it's completely fair to compare them to, say, C&Js or Moreschis from ebay, which can be had at a similar price.

eBay is full of Grenson, C&J and Tramezzas at this price level. All are better buys. For regular non-eBay stores, I'd say that the French makers are probably a better buy - I know my Emling shoes are far superior to the CT shoes I own (and do not wear)

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
eBay is full of Grenson, C&J and Tramezzas at this price level. All are better buys. For regular non-eBay stores, I'd say that the French makers are probably a better buy - I know my Emling shoes are far superior to the CT shoes I own (and do not wear)

Are you an odd size, by chance? You've got me wondering if I'm missing out. Your post prompted me to do a search on eBay, and none of the opening bids on Tramezzas are less than $229, regardless of size, except for one pair in a narrow width.

As for Grensons, there are only two pairs, one being a Feathermaster. There are three pairs of Paul Stuarts total: a pair of loafers and two used pairs. I can't say I'd buy any of them.

I've already mentioned my experience with C&Js, even the GVH Polo shoes.

Maybe I need to do a better job policing eBay for shoe bargains! (Or maybe I'm just unlucky to be a 9.5.)

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There are good quality french shoes available in that price range that are better than CT?!? Please tell us more (I've never even heard of Emiling). Personally, I like the styling of French and Italian shoes better than English shoes, so I'd be interested to hear about some French brands that aren't outrageously expensive (like Weston). I think French shoes don't get enough play on the forum.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Are you an odd size, by chance? You've got me wondering if I'm missing out. Your post prompted me to do a search on eBay, and none of the opening bids on Tramezzas are less than $229, regardless of size, except for one pair in a narrow width.

As for Grensons, there are only two pairs, one being a Feathermaster. There are three pairs of Paul Stuarts total: a pair of loafers and two used pairs. I can't say I'd buy any of them.

Maybe I need to do a better job policing eBay for shoe bargains! (Or maybe I'm just unlucky to be a 9.5.)

I've seen used Tramezzas (I search for Tramezzas on ebay every single day in case something new comes up) on ebay for those prices, but never anything new.

summej2

Reaction score
I guess what I'm saying is that if all you are willing to spend on a pair of shoes is $135, then you can do a lot worse and maybe a little better (if you happen to find your size on GVH, for example, which is impossible for me because I wear a wide).
Exactly, I wear a wide (EEE) also and I could wait around forever for a deal on RLPL EG made shoes, because they don't make them in my size. On the other hand, the CT/Loakes run wide, come in G fitting, and offer some styles that AE and Moreschi (who both make a EEE) don't. Compared to AE, which sell for a similar amount on sale (though I've got them for as little as $65), I think the quality of CT/Loakes (judging from the one pair of suede brogue boots I have) is pretty decent. I've had no problems with the stitching, though I might be unimpressed with the leather were it not suede.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No I'm not an odd size at all.

Re: Tramezza - I bought a pair of NWT 2 weeks ago for $162 and the seller had several pairs and sizes. They come and go, not by any means a constant flow.

Re: Grenson - as far as I can tell, there are 34 pairs on eBay right now.

Re: "budget" French shoes - there is a number of threads here about affordable Blake or goodyear welted French shoes (not always necessarily made in France BTW, many are actually made in Portugal for example). Some people like Loding, others like Bexley or Finsbury. I've had good luck with Emling

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any sources for Finsbury or Emling in the US?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Any sources for Finsbury or Emling in the US?

No idea. My guess is one probably needs to contact one of the boutiques in France

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Re: Grenson - as far as I can tell, there are 34 pairs on eBay right now.

Right you are. Sorry about that -- I forgot I omitted the overseas shoes. But do you think the non-Masterpiece Grensons are a step up from your Tyrwhitts? I have no experience with Grensons outside the Masterpieces, so I have no idea what the quality is like. But I've not heard many good things.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right you are. Sorry about that -- I forgot I omitted the overseas shoes. But do you think the non-Masterpiece Grensons are a step up from your Tyrwhitts? I have no experience with Grensons outside the Masterpieces, so I have no idea what the quality is like. But I've not heard many good things.

The only pair of Grenson shoes I have is from the Country range. Quite well made but also quite a few bob more expensive than, say, the Feathermaster range.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The old footmasters are ok. about the same as AE. maybe a little better, maybe a little worst.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In the $135 range?
<snip> Other than that, there's not much in that price range that's not truly crappy. If you go up to, say, the $300 range then your options increase tremendously (C&J from Plal/Pediwear, Tramezzas on ebay, AE and Alden at retail prices, Santoni on discount at Nordstrom rack, the list goes on).

That's the trouble. In that range, there's not a lot to choose from. You could try to hunt some bargains on eBay, but there aren't many bricks and mortar stores that will have nicer shoes for $135. <snip>

This was sort of the point, no? In that price range, you're usually buying plastic shoes with rubber soles, unless you hit upon a closeout at STP or get lucky at GVH... (just today I scanned through STP's shoe selection, and at the moment, the dress-shoe pickings in the sub-200 category are slim indeed...)

To be fair, I did snip some suggested alternatives that might be viable if you're near a Nordstrom rack or can wait on GVH or STP, but that's a crap shoot.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I own exactly one pair of CT shoes. I haven't worn them tons, but I've been reasonably happy with them--at their half-off price.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
This was sort of the point, no? In that price range, you're usually buying plastic shoes with rubber soles, unless you hit upon a closeout at STP or get lucky at GVH... (just today I scanned through STP's shoe selection, and at the moment, the dress-shoe pickings in the sub-200 category are slim indeed...)

To be fair, I did snip some suggested alternatives that might be viable if you're near a Nordstrom rack or can wait on GVH or STP, but that's a crap shoot.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I own exactly one pair of CT shoes. I haven't worn them tons, but I've been reasonably happy with them--at their half-off price.

I own three pairs of CT shoes that I bought with the half off link and I am very happy with them.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The answer is yes and no. At the $135 mark, you will be hard pressed to find anything presentable from a traditional brick and motar store. For around the same price, I also recommend checking out C21 or DSW if you in the NYC area, since discount Allen Edmonds can be found at a similar price. I would rank the quality of AE slightly better than CT/Loake, though the lasting is less sleek than the English shoes. I recommend buying whichever you find more aesthetically pleasing AND the shoes that fit the best, since comfort is the toughest quality to satisfy in lower-end shoes (cheaper linings and less corking, etc).

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
I wore my CT semibrogues for the first time last night and I am pretty pleased with them. They were stiffer from the get go than my AEs typically are but after a short while they felt fine. I love the last shape and even if I was willing to pay more for the AE version, I can't since AE doesn't make a captoe brogue with medallions anymore. For the $85 I spent, they are fantastic. I think for $135 they are still pretty good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads