• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Charles tyrwhitt shirts

bryce330

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with Charles Tyrwhitt shirts? How do they compare with Thomas Pink, Turnbull & Asser, etc. in terms of quality, fit, etc?

I have been checking out their web site and they have some really cool looking patterns - they also seem to be quite a bit cheaper than the aforementioned brands.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Comparable to Thomas Pink, but not in the league of T & A, Hilditch and Key, Crichton.......

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On sale, I'd call them a pretty good deal. Nice fabrics, brass collar stays...

They also have an excellent return policy, which helps when ordering over the Internet or from catalogs. The last shirt I purchased from them, in 'cranberry houndstooth', turned out to be a slightly different shade of pink in real life than it seemed in the catalog, and CT were happy to refund my money, including shipping.

The fit of a CT shirt is nice overall, but CT suffers from off-the-rack British shirt syndrome, wherein they only offer one or two sleeve lengths for each neck size. If you want your sleeves shortened, you'll have to cough up a little more...

Cheers,

Nick.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The thing about CT is they often have sales. The Sea Island cotton shirts are really nice, and you can pick them up at a great price if you wait for a sale. I wouldnt mess with the poplin shirts, though, they are nothing special.

AskAndyAboutClothes

Reaction score
I'd say just a notch under Pink, but still a great value for the price.

The London store on Jerymn St. is fun.

Andy

naturlaut

Reaction score
I recently bought a pair of pearl cufflinks from the Jermyn Street shop for my girlfriend and the pearl fell off when we went back to the hotel. We later brought them back for refund. (30-something pound sterling.)

I found the shirts too contemporary in style and taste, losing much of the shirting tradition that I have expected, and the cotton is not of the highest quality. However, economically speaking, they are a steal. I have not owned one, so I can't tell you how the collars last through laundering.

I tried some handmade shirts from Crichton, who shares the same shop with Fallan & Harvey on Sackville (opposite Dormeuil), and they are marvelous. Both of us bought half a dozen shirts, and after we wash-and-wear a few times I will give you update on how the collars withstand. The ladies' shirts have the most beautiful cut I have ever seen.

I love Turnbull's collar and Hilditch's pattern matching. There are no competitions in those areas. They both withstand laudering very well. Even after repeated wearing, the collars still look like new, especially Hilditch's.

If I were you, I will wait for sale at Turnbull or Hilditch instead of buying the cheaper Trywhitt shirts now. When on sale, Turnbull shirts at 39 pounds, Hilditch at 43 pounds, Cricton at 30 pound, New & Lingwoon at 45 pound, Harvey & Hudson at 45 pound. There are usually more discount when you purchase in quantity of 3 or 6.

I am planning to custom-made some shirts at Cricton next time, as I know their quality now and they have a better price package.

(Shoes --- I know it is diverting from the topic, but I am too lazy to start a new one)

Edward Green's sale is usually for odd sizes (oddments). Shoes range from 280 pounds and up, a saving of about 150 pounds, but you also have to know that those shoes have been tried a million times before, thus they no longer look new; moreover, they do not keep shoetrees in the sales' shoes. Sales are usually downstairs in the shop, and you have to ask them about it. As far as I know, Lobb has stopped holding sales, except, again, for oddments, and that's very rare (as they told me). Foster & Sons sales start from 159 pounds, New & Lingwood from 139 pounds (I am still kicking myself for not getting some), Poulsen Skone at N&L start from merely 265 pounds (from 400 pounds and up), Tricker's from 129 pounds (though selections are few).

New & Lingwood suits sale starts from 250 pounds, but most of their suits are centre vents (not my preference). If you are there, be sure to check out their coats with velvet collars (400 pounds) and ticket pocket.

Turnbull ties at merely 16 pounds, Irish Linen hand-rolled handerchiefs at 20-something pounds for 6, regular handerchiefs at 10 pounds for 6.

There are so many other good deals that I do not have the time to list out here. The best deal in London, however, are the cashmere scarves from xxxxxxxx & xxxxxxxx for 25 pounds each --- hehe, I am not telling you as they are too rare and too good, only one person here knows (Thracozaag) and I know his eyes popped out when he saw them (I bought 3.). The cashmere quality is comparable to the Hermes scarves shoulder-to-shoulder, though they are a few inches shorter, which is fine for men. Hermes scarves sell for US$695.00, my scarves --- about US$35. They are not too many in the shop, and I almost bought them all. Hint: a shop from Savile Row that will be celebrating 100 years birthday within this decade.

And remember: all the prices quoted above already include VAT, and for travellers DO NOT forget to get your tax back --- that's a whopping 15% off all the listed price above. We bought so much that when we were at the customs in the airport, the custom officer looked at my receipts and called her husband to get to Jermyn Street right away. I just hope that her husband has not the same size as me.

Fanthom

Reaction score
Thanks for the nice report, naturlaut.

bryce330

Reaction score
Thanks for the info everyone - I actually ordered some CT shirts about 10 days ago and they came yesterday. Overall, I'm pretty happy but the shirts are HUGE - I usually wear a 17 in most brands but the CT 17s fit me like a smock. Luckily I also ordered a few shirts in 16.5 - even those are on the large side, but hopefully they will shrink after a few washings. The quality of the fabric and the workmanship seems pretty good - not Borelli obviously, but hard to beat for the $30-40 I paid per shirt. I also love the brass collar stays - I will definitely be ordering from CT again.

On a related note, I've always thought Thomas Pink shirts were overpriced but I stopped in a Pink boutique last weekend and fell in love with some of the new shirts they have for the S/S season - some very unique and colorful stripes, particularly in the slim fit shirts. I'll probably end up buying at least one or two Pink shirts in the next few months, despite the fact that they are basically $60-70 shirts selling for $125 (or $165 for the slim fit).

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Edward Green's sale is usually for odd sizes (oddments).  Shoes range from 280 pounds and up, a saving of about 150 pounds, but you also have to know that those shoes have been tried a million times before, thus they no longer look new; moreover, they do not keep shoetrees in the sales' shoes.  Sales are usually downstairs in the shop, and you have to ask them about it.  As far as I know, Lobb has stopped holding sales, except, again, for oddments, and that's very rare (as they told me).  Foster & Sons sales start from 159 pounds, New & Lingwood from 139 pounds (I am still kicking myself for not getting some), Poulsen Skone at N&L start from merely 265 pounds (from 400 pounds and up), Tricker's from 129 pounds (though selections are few).  
You must have come at the wrong time to the Edward Green sale. The sale starts on ground floor (up to size 8 ½ or 9) and then continues in the basement for the larger sizes. At some later point everything unsold goes down to the basement and gets marked down further. The reason that EG sells "oddments" while N&L has whole ranges is that EG is a genuine sale (and you can find RLPL without the RL name but with the purple lining instantly recognizable).

In contrast, the biggest chunk of N&L is bought in sales stock from C&J. Normally N&L shoes are made by Alfred Sargent and the Poulsen&Skone are made by EG. The P&S are genuine reductions, but same are quite peculiar designs by George Cleverley. Cleverley has designed some beautiful shoes, but a few stinkers as well: like the false lace-ups with elastic gussets. If the sole is channelled, they are genuine reductions, if the sole is stitched aloft, they are special purchase.

John Lobb is having a twice the year sale and, for the first time ever Cleverley marked down its ready-to-wear shoes (to celebrate their 10th anniversary). But for all year round sales go to Northampton. John Lobb, Tricker's, Crockett & Jones (but not Edward Green), they all have factory outlet shops where the shoes are sold at about half price.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shirt I ordered just came in, and I'm quite happy with the shirt. Size was fine for me, didn't seem larger than any other.
Quality wise, reminded me very much of Pink.
What I liked: brass collar stays, split yolk with matched pattern, single cuff had two buttons, nice feeling fabric.
What I didn't like so much: double stiched, plastic buttons.
At $48, shipped on sale, I think they are a great deal. I think I'll buy a few more...

Fanthom

Reaction score
Tyrwhitt is having a new sale right now. Take (any) 5 shirts - pay for 3 (get the two cheapest for free).

Marcus

LDawg

Reaction score
Is this B&M only or does it also apply to the online store? Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
LDawg

naturlaut

Reaction score
For Mr. Renault, Mr. Bryce, and Mr. Nick M,

How are the Tyrwhitt shirts after some wash-and-wear?

Also, on a side note: Harvey & Hudson is already having a sale at their two Jermyn Street stores, be sure to check them out when you are there. As I mentioned before, sale shirts are £45. I think this is the earliest sale this year. Collars on H&H shirts curve outward, while Turnbull's curve in. Also, they have longer points than Turnbull (didn't do exact measurements at this point, but around ¼" maybe?)

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For Mr. Renault, Mr. Bryce, and Mr. Nick M,

How are the Tyrwhitt shirts after some wash-and-wear?

Also, on a side note: Harvey & Hudson is already having a sale at their two Jermyn Street stores, be sure to check them out when you are there.  As I mentioned before, sale shirts are £45.  I think this is the earliest sale this year.  Collars on H&H shirts curve outward, while Turnbull's curve in.  Also, they have longer points than Turnbull (didn't do exact measurements at this point, but around ¼" maybe?)
H&K do not move because plastik in the collar

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads