• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Charles Tyrwhitt Shirt Sale - 2/$100

BBdude

Reaction score
Just noticed Charles Tyrwhitt is having a 2 shirts for $100 sale.

I've never owned a CT shirt (all I have is BB), but at $50 a pop I'll give em a try.

My question is about their sizes. I'm a 17 1/2 neck and ~34 length in the arm. On CT's website shortest arm length they have is 36 for a 17.5 neck. What's up with that?

Doc4

Reaction score
Check the threads here about CT shirts ... you may want to avoid ... or at least go for the Sea Island ones.

They have a sleeve-shortening service for anyone with thick neck and stubby arms.
cool.gif

StylingUK

Reaction score
It is usually 4/$200 and there's now free shirt length altering, pocket, and monogram for the month of October so its not too bad.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i used to be a huge CT fan for shirts until i got my first Jantzen's. i don't see myself ever going back unless they can meet or beat Jantzen's price.

that being said, the classic CT shirts are large and if you're thin, you'll definitely want the slim fits which i've found to be some of the slimest around.

if you have the patience, get a Jantzen.

-Jeff

jasonsun

Reaction score
Still, none has addressed the quality of the shirt......

highball

Reaction score
CT seems to have a 2 for $100 sale going on for much of the year. If I recall correctly near the end of the season they'll cut prices to around $25-40 depending on the shirt. At least that was my experience at the Madison Ave. store this past summer.

BBdude

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jasonsun
I've searched this suite quite a bit and no one has ever said the quality is poor. I think some people have nit picked, but in comparison to similar $50 shirts out there ... I have a hard time thinking these aren't better then most other $50 shirts. With that being said ... I really have a hard time finding nice looking shirts less then $75/each and come non-iron, slim fitting, French cuff, and with somewhat trendy patterns/colors. My Brooks Bros shirts are great, but they're most certainly not trendy and BB's French cuff selection is very small. Perhaps Vintage Gent will post where I/we could find similar shirts at a similar cost if $100 for two shirts is "still too much".

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would take a serious look at CEGO this month. I plan on heading to NY City to take advantage of his discounts and what I've heard to be excellent quality and service.

jasonsun

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BBdude
I've searched this suite quite a bit and no one has ever said the quality is poor. I think some people have nit picked, but in comparison to similar $50 shirts out there ... I have a hard time thinking these aren't better then most other $50 shirts.

With that being said ... I really have a hard time finding nice looking shirts less then $75/each and come non-iron, slim fitting, French cuff, and with somewhat trendy patterns/colors. My Brooks Bros shirts are great, but they're most certainly not trendy and BB's French cuff selection is very small.

Perhaps Vintage Gent will post where I/we could find similar shirts at a similar cost if $100 for two shirts is "still too much".

How about this:
Is CT's 180 comparable to BB's Golden Fleece? and it's Slim fit comparable to BB's slim fit?
Forget pattern, cause that's a pure personal taste, but construction and quality?

BBdude

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NH_Clark
I would take a serious look at CEGO this month. I plan on heading to NY City to take advantage of his discounts and what I've heard to be excellent quality and service.
What kind of price would you be looking at? I'm certainly not mistaken that I can get a custom fit shirt that would be better then a CT shirt, but at what cost? Spending over $100 a shirt to me is too much $$$.
How about this: Is CT's 180 comparable to BB's Golden Fleece? and it's Slim fit comparable to BB's slim fit? Forget pattern, cause that's a pure personal taste, but construction and quality?
I think you may be mistaken or just typed the above in error. The 180's are dress shirts where as the Golden Fleece refers the BB's polo shirts. BB's Black Fleece collection of shirts is few and they have more of a casual look then dress. As for how the slim fits compare as in BB vs CT, I'm not sure as I've never worn/held a CT shirt. I figured for $100 for 2 ... it's worth a shot, but from what I gather the construction is not as superior as BB. I guess if I'm looking for the patterns CT has at a price CT has, but the quality of BB ... I'm kind of SOL.

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gamelan
i used to be a huge CT fan for shirts until i got my first Jantzen's. i don't see myself ever going back unless they can meet or beat Jantzen's price.

that being said, the classic CT shirts are large and if you're thin, you'll definitely want the slim fits which i've found to be some of the slimest around.

if you have the patience, get a Jantzen.

-Jeff

The one CT slim fit shirt I own is in no way slim fitting. I'm a 37 chest, and normally take a 14.5 - 15 collar. The 15 collar slim fit CT shirt I got fits like a sack. I got that a year or two ago, I get the impression earlier slim fit shirts were more genuinely slim fitting.

I tried Jantzen shortly after joining SF a year ago, still waiting on the order...

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've owned three. From that admittedly limited sample, here's my assessment: They suck. The construction is second rate, fit is atrocious (although that may be solved by the availability of slim fit) and the collars fray after only about half a year of moderate use.

Perhaps Vintage Gent will post where I/we could find similar shirts at a similar cost if $100 for two shirts is "still too much".

Since I'm not in the market for RTW shirts, I probably couldn't be of much help. You might want to take a trip to your local Marshalls/TJ Maxx, where, from time to time, I've seen Ike Behar and Robert Talbott shirts on sale for $40 or less (sometimes significantly less). Both are an option far better than Tyrwhitt.

Gordon Geeko

Reaction score
I think you may be mistaken or just typed the above in error. The 180's are dress shirts where as the Golden Fleece refers the BB's polo shirts. BB's Black Fleece collection of shirts is few and they have more of a casual look then dress. .
I think he's referring to the luxury fit shirts (which I think used to carry the GF label). I have a few and while they're decent I'm not too fond of the fit, which falls in between their slim fit and regular line.

BBdude

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gordon Geeko
No. The Golden Fleece label is applied to a broad range of products including dress shirts, suits, etc.. I have a few of the GF dress shirts shirts and while they're decent I'm not too fond of the fit (which falls in between their slim fit and regular line)

Love ur handle haha.

Can you link me to a Golden Fleece BB shirt on their website? I've shopped there a lot and never saw a Golden Fleece dress shirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads